In's And Out's

AndyRoss

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MM wants Sheridan to stay..

Motherwell boss Mark McGhee has indicated his desire to keep a hold of on-loan Celtic striker Cillian Sheridan when the season draws to a close.

The Irishman was at the hub of his side’s 3-0 Lanarkshire derby victory at Hamilton on Saturday, claiming a goal and playing a part in the other two strikes by David Clarkson and John Sutton.

Although the 20-year-old seems set to return to Celtic Park with a view to becoming a first-team regular with the champions, McGhee hopes he will still be plying his trade at Fir Park next year.

“I think we’ll be investigating what Gordon Strachan’s plans for him are,” admits McGhee. “I would certainly be more than happy to keep him at Motherwell a bit longer if Celtic aren’t quite ready to have him back.

“But I would imagine what will happen is that he will go back and then it’s up to him to show that he’s ready to be part of their plans. If he isn’t I would certainly ask if we could have him again.

“He’s worked well with us and has been important. I hope the lad feels that he’s benefited from being with us, but we think he has.”

With The Well still waiting for confirmation of their qualification for next season’s Europa League via the Uefa Fair Play award, an ill tempered clash at New Douglas Park threatened to put a dampener on the campaign.

And, whilst McGhee feels that the referee could perhaps have dealt with the game slightly better, he remains unconcerned about his team’s disciplinary record.

He added: “Clarkson got booked after being booted all over the place. And Maros Klimpl seemed determined to get a yellow card.

But I don’t think a couple of bookings will keep us out of Europe."

The boss today said he thought he had gone off the boil midway through his loan period, but came back to form in the past few weeks. That's to be expected with a youngster, but from what I have seen of him (and that has, admittedly, only been from highlights) I wouldn't say no to extending his loan deal next season.

The (sad) thing is I doubt we could do better than Sheridan, an Irish International with a deft finish on him, and I would rather have the big man in amongst the squad than be looking at a potential front two of Sutton and Murphy - IF the worst comes to the worst and DC gets snapped up.

Sorry if this has been covered but it looked like Buzz gave his jersey awayat the end of the game yesterday, is that a sign he's away ?

Nah, just a sign that one wee lad asked for it before the game and another wee lad asked for his gloves before the game. He told both of them to come to the front right after the final whistle. Nice fella that Buzz

I dunno why everyone is so against signing Sheridan permenantly. Granted I've only seen him a handful of times but I thought his link up play was good and he can finish.

He's inconsistent but so are a lot of young players, if we kept a hold of him McGhee could mould him into a cracking striker.

I dunno why everyone is so against signing Sheridan permenantly. Granted I've only seen him a handful of times but I though his link up play is good and he can finish.

He's inconsistent but so are a lot of young players, if we kept a hold of him McGhee could mould him into a cracking striker.

I think there's a lot more to come from him too - though whether that'll be at Fir Park or Parkhead remains to be seen.

There have been flashes of what he's capable during his time with us but he's miles away from being anything like the finished article.

I wouldn't be against a season long loan deal for him if we could get him on that.

I'm pretty certain that Sheridan will be with us for next season as MM and Wee Chesny will come to an arrangement that will have him stay at the Ark. I also believe that Klimpl will sign for a season and 100% CERTAIN that Hughes and Smith are offski. Why were we trying to sign 2 players from Livingston when we've known now for a few years that we dont do money transfers. They wanted 50grand that should've been the end of our interest. Get the Bosman list MM and sign a cenre-half 2 midfielders and a striker and punt Fitzpatrick and McGarry. Thats 4 out and 4 in. Roll on next season. :huh: .

I'm pretty certain that Sheridan will be with us for next season as MM and Wee Chesny will come to an arrangement that will have him stay at the Ark. I also believe that Klimpl will sign for a season and 100% CERTAIN that Hughes and Smith are offski. Why were we trying to sign 2 players from Livingston when we've known now for a few years that we dont do money transfers. They wanted 50grand that should've been the end of our interest. Get the Bosman list MM and sign a cenre-half 2 midfielders and a striker and punt Fitzpatrick and McGarry. Thats 4 out and 4 in. Roll on next season. :huh: .

That is something I would love the club to do but I doubt they will have the bottle to punt any players. We need rid of dead wood and thise two (esp McGarry) have little to offer the team now.

You are right too, get in about the Bosman list McGhee!!

We re-signed Stevie Hammell for 110k did we not?

Think that's only because we sold JP to Plymouth for £250k.

And it made sense to sell on someone nearing the end of their contract, and sign a more than adequate, younger replacement and pocket still £140k profit.