In's And Out's

AndyRoss

It's difficult to tell in these situations exactly what has been offered or even what stage negotiations reached with each club. Agents have a habit of exaggerating interest.

You would have to believe that we can match St. Johnstone for wages, especially when you factor in bonuses etc. but like you say, I'm sure we wouldn't guarantee anybody first team football, so something like that might sway their decision.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played with Imirie at Kirkfield under 15's nothing wrong with him then (althought time has moved cnosiderably since), he wasnt a stand out player then.

As a guy he was always ok, a wee bit of a lad, but nothing more, he is ok .

Theres no way Imrie is just "a lad". Maybe as you said at that age (although even then i didnt like him) but now hes a bigger prick than ever.

I still cant believe there isnt a song about the time he shat his pants. Literally.

Read on the BBC that our on loan keeper Krysiak is bei released by Birmingham when his loan deal expires. Perhaps if Buzz goes a deal has been agreed to sign him permanently.

Two other out of contract players mentioned were Aberdeen's Jamie Smith and Watford's Steve Kabba.

Smith has been mentioned before and if we could keep him fit would be a good signing.

Kabba seemed to do well at Sheffield United and moved to Watford for £1 million plus, I think.

Probably like most Championship players we couldn't afford his wages, and I might be wrong here but I think he has had some injury problems too. Again if he could be kept fit he could fill one of the gaps in our forward line.

Wouldn't be overly confident with Fraser and Krysiak as our one and two as neither have looked that convincing. On instinct alone I'd rather we went for the boy from Linfield, let's hope Melly know his stuff and picks us a winner in any case. With Buzz and Marsh before him, I think we've been pretty lucky of late between the sticks. It's only once a diddy is in there we'll fully appreciate that though.

On 'the Dazzler' I'd agree that a lower league team would probably be his level. Saw him get the hook after a rotten first half against Hearts in the reserves last week and he looked totally bereft of confidence and a bit out of his depth if I'm honest. Showed last year he can contribute in a good side but when we were struggling this year he was found wanting.

I hope missing out on Mackay means Hutchison is given a chance in the first team. He's looked top notch both times I've seen him and he already has the build and presence (much like Hammell when he broke through), that he certainly wouldn't look out of place.

I appreciate that we have Bottom Six/Top of Div 1 boys on our radar as these guys could come in and do really well but is it just me worrying that we aren;t casting the net a bit further??

I really believe we need some foreign influence in our team. As we seen in Europe last season the Scottish game is so very primitive I think we need another dimension. I'm obviously not thinking strapping Italian Centre Halfs and Brazillian Forwards but surely someone with something different - pace and skill for a start can come in and do a job!!

We all see the influence our big Slovak has had, in addition to getting him signed I think another couple of foreign boys, perhaps in attacking positions could do our team no harm at all - and give us that edge, especially if we play in Europe ourselves again this year.

I really believe we need some foreign influence in our team. As we seen in Europe last season the Scottish game is so very primitive I think we need another dimension. I'm obviously not thinking strapping Italian Centre Halfs and Brazillian Forwards but surely someone with something different - pace and skill for a start can come in and do a job!!

I'd say one of the reason Nancy battered us was as the word 'battered' suggests, they were much bigger, stronger and physically imposing. Very few of their players weren't 6ft plus and build like brick shithouses. In contrast our team was short, skinny and lightweight, even our taller players like Quinn and Porter are built like rakes!

Nancy were technically better also but not so much that the major reason for the defeat was that they simply out muscled us. Celtic showed much more technical ability a couple of weeks before than Nancy did at Fir Park.

So may the Scottish game isn't primitive enough!

It's difficult to tell in these situations exactly what has been offered or even what stage negotiations reached with each club. Agents have a habit of exaggerating interest.

You would have to believe that we can match St. Johnstone for wages, especially when you factor in bonuses etc. but like you say, I'm sure we wouldn't guarantee anybody first team football, so something like that might sway their decision.

By the sounds of things from the BBC website, MM said we couldn't afford the two players from Livi and they have both gone to St. Johnstone. Is that really our level after all these years as a top flight club that a team that has been in division 1 for about 7 years can beat our wages? Sad state of affairs if true.

BBC

I'll be honest in saying I'm kind of glad we missed out on those two, not descript guys like that don't exactly get you excited bout the season ahead. I'm sure once Buzz, Bob and Shug are off the wage bill and if Reynolds goes to Forest we'll have a bit more room to manuveur.

Mon the Klimpl, big ovation for him tomorrow could help seal the deal!

if true thats shite, an very worrying! if we cant compete wi St Johnstone just what level of shite are we gonna bring in this summer?

This same line was trotted out when we failed to land Dargo, Derek Young on trial too... Chris Porter? Anyone?

Our season ain't finished, St Johnstone know their budget. Yes, there may have been discussions between the board and management staff as to next season, but, can't see Mark McGhees' budget being set in stone as he may well have the coffers swelled by the lure of the Europa League and with existing high ranking members of the squad perhaps moving on... good bartering tools I'd say.

Understanding he may have to move quick if Europe is on, Motherwell are renowned for unwillingness to pay wages through the summer, so it could be all change this year. In McGhee I trust.

I appreciate that we have Bottom Six/Top of Div 1 boys on our radar as these guys could come in and do really well but is it just me worrying that we aren;t casting the net a bit further??

To be fair, Dundee United are chasing Europe two years running doing exactly that. Although, one thing they have done that we haven't to any great stride is hunt the Polish market. Get those damm Poles doon to Fir Park.

I'm with Shaka on this one. Very worrying when you're priced out by a team who's just been promoted to the top league for the first time in 3/4 years. Even though folk say they are nothing to get excited about i'm sure i'd be happy with the fact that we're actually signing players to increase the size of the squad. Squad is far too small!

If this is the case then i can't imagine us having the wages to spend on Leigh Griffiths.

From BBS Website

Motherwell manager Mark McGhee admits out-of-contract duo Stephen Hughes and Graeme Smith are likely to move on. However, he hopes to secure on-loan Maros Klimpl on a permanent deal. "Maros wants to stay and we're trying to negotiate something," he said. "It's a case of trying to get a financial deal that allows us to get him." McGhee also suggested that he had missed out with offers for Livingston pair Dave MacKay and Murray Davidson who have joined St Johnstone. "Financially, these are really difficult times and we're going to have to look to the boys coming up from the youth system, which I think is going to become more important for everyone," added McGhee, who was recently priced out of a move for Queen of the South striker Stephen Dobbie. "We tried to sign a couple of players yesterday who we weren't able to afford and who look as though they've ended up signing for St Johnstone, so that's our problem and we have to cut our cloth. "The youth system is really where our squad is going to be coming from, because we aren't going to be out there buying and selling lots of players."

Former Rangers pair Hughes and Smith have been impressive performers for Motherwell this season and McGhee is planning ahead for next season without them. "I'm anticipating they'll leave, but I haven't heard that they've signed for anyone and there are offers on the table," he said. Slovakian defensive midfielder Klimpl will be free to leave Danish side FC Midtjylland in the summer.

And season ticket sales are up? :( Well I for one will certainly not be renewing my season ticket to watch more of the same shite that has been served up this season. This team needs major surgery and has not been strengthened since Mark McGhee arrived.

So now we are going to be reduced to bringing in youths to the SPL!! Well the only place that will lead to, will be relegation. And lets face it if we can't cut it then maybe it would be better to let others in who could. FFS we are supposed to be competing in the top league in Scotland and we have now been outbid twice, twice mind you, for the same two players by First Division Teams. Apparently both were signed for £50K. Not a King's Ransom and it also seems as though the terms offered to the players in question were better than we are able to offer. Remember McGhee has been chasing one of these tow for the best part of a year!!!Mismanagement on a grand scale at FP continues in my view and the sooner Boyle gets out the better. Our club has been made a laughing stock by this man (consider the pitch fiasco this season and all the half-arsed 'initiatives') and now this. Well he'll be getting no more money from me to waste and If I was Mark McGhee I'd be on the high road out of FP toute suite. :(:(

As for Leigh Griffiths. Nae chance. He'll move south to the Championship I feel. Although it is so annoying see all these "quality" players from Livingston over the last season or two moving on to bigger clubs before we have acted.

Dorrans, McPake, MacKay, Davidson and now probably Griffiths.

Can only agree with the above posts. I've no idea what either of these players are like but it is very worrying indeed a St Johnstone side 7 years long in the 1st Division can pay better/out bid us for two 1st Division players!!

If that's a sign of the times McGhee is going have to be really shrewd to bring in anyone of note.

If this is the case then i can't imagine us having the wages to spend on Leigh Griffiths.

Giving your mind a treat... We are what we are.

But we'll have a new surface next year. Promise.

Sorry, but, had to add this in. FFS :(

No loss at all. We are talking about two players Livingston needed off their wage bills who with limited EssPeeHell experience have signed for a team (albeit financially sound and well run by all accounts) who won less than half the scheduled games last season and won the league flag... First Division Heroes? Whipping Boys?

I'll go for the latter as I'm sure many will on this board without wetting underwear.

This team needs major surgery and has not been strengthened since Mark McGhee arrived.

Aye because Porter, Klimpl, Sutton, O'Brien and Hughes didn't strengthen our squad in anyway. I forgot a midfield/strikeforce of (over the course of McGhee's reign)

Lasley, Fitzpatrick, DL Smith, McGarry, Clarkson, McCormack and Murphy

is just as strong as a midfield/strikeforce of (over the course of McGhee's reign)

Lasley, Fitzpatrick, DL Smith, McGarry, Hughes, Klimpl, McGarry, O'Brien, Clarkson, McCormack, Murphy, Sutton and Porter.

So, you're telling me at the start of the season 12 (McCormack had left) players to cover midfield and up front (when all fit) is the same as 7 players...

Aye because Porter, Klimpl, Sutton, O'Brien and Hughes didn't strengthen our squad in anyway. I forgot a midfield/strikeforce of (over the course of McGhee's reign)

Lasley, Fitzpatrick, DL Smith, McGarry, Clarkson, McCormack and Murphy

is just as strong as a midfield/strikeforce of (over the course of McGhee's reign)

Lasley, Fitzpatrick, DL Smith, McGarry, Hughes, Klimpl, McGarry, O'Brien, Clarkson, McCormack, Murphy, Sutton and Porter.

So, you're telling me at the start of the season 12 (McCormack had left) players to cover midfield and up front (when all fit) is the same as 7 players...

Pure pish. The only players he brought in that were of any use were McCormack Porter and Hughes and two have gone and one is about to go. From the others you mention, my views on them are well documented on previous posts but with Fitzpatrick, DL Smith, McGarry x 2 and O'Brien, Quinn and Craigan and no new signings then its the First Division next stop. You can disagree until you are blue in the face mate I don't honestly care.

So Clarkson's twenty odd goals are no use, Sutton's ten or so goals are no use... OK then. Sure.

I'll tell you now we won't be relegated next season, and unless we go bust, we won't be relegated in the next 5 years either. ICT, Accies, Falkirk/St Mirren (which either one survives), Kilmarnock, St Johnstone and I might add, going by your logic Aberdeen tae will all struggle next season.