In's And Out's

AndyRoss

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly mate, I said to a few people last season that Foran wouldve been worth the punt simply because of goals.

He doesnt just score penalties he could find the net from anywhere. He could be lazy but did put in a shift at the best of times.

It was a chance wasted and more fans wouldve welcomed him back than the ones who wouldve rejected him.

Foran suited the type of game that Butcher played. He wasn't fit enough to play in McGhee's teams and would have been keeping Fat Boab company on the bench.

McLean, Quinn and Clarkson are all replaceable without breaking the bank. A player of Hughes ability will be difficult to replace. I know he did not have as good a season last year but he is still one of the better players in the SPL.

I think we are going to have some players that we have never heard of before with us in a few weeks all from the middle divisions in England. If they are anything like the quality of Chris Porter we may be in for a decent season.

Jim Hamiltons free. B-)

The Foran debate is pointless, he's re-signed at Inverness. We hadn't shown the slightest interest. All I would say is that I thought that Foran would have been an excellent signing last summer when we lost McCormack, if McGhee wanted to continue 4-3-3. He would have been a different type of third forward than McCormack was, but playing on the left of a front three, his defensive frailties would not have been as exposed as they were in a 4-4-2.

But that kind of discussion is for another thread. We've moved on from Foran and he's moved on from us, and if people want to debate his qualities, start a thread about it. This is for potential departures and arrivals...

I can't see that doing his international career any good.

Wayne Henderson got his first cap in goal for Ireland while a Brighton player not so long ago. The local papers down here say Smith is just one of a number of keepers being looked at by Mark McGhee's home town club B-)

McLean, Quinn and Clarkson are all replaceable without breaking the bank. A player of Hughes ability will be difficult to replace. I know he did not have as good a season last year but he is still one of the better players in the SPL.

I think we might find Clarkson harder to replace. Hughes has more natural ability than the others, but in terms of effectiveness in a team unit others were more pivotal. He was our "creative player" who was left way, way behind our left back in terms of assists...

'Assists' is a manufactured statistic that was stolen from the NHL and NBA. But even ignoring that fact, it's a team game, and if Hughes was responsible for setting up most of Hammell's runs for his 'assists' then who's to say his contribution was any less significant?

DC was a strange one, gangly, no first touch but a total pain in the arse workaholic whose goals ratio under McGhee was superb. He was something that nobody else had which was why so many teams foun him hard to play. I also think his awkwardness made him hard to read. We need another striker of some description there is no doubt. Hughes is a luxury player - we could happily put another digger in there and no like for like replacement is not needed. We need a right back with some experience should PQ go. We need another defender for depth and we need a replacement for Klimpl to break down attacks. Andsome competition for Fraser would be handy too. If after that we can get a luxury player to replace SH then grand.

I think we might find Clarkson harder to replace. Hughes has more natural ability than the others, but in terms of effectiveness in a team unit others were more pivotal. He was our "creative player" who was left way, way behind our left back in terms of assists...

I know that statistics cannot be disgarded but there are other factors. When we had that excellent spell during McGhee's first season, Hughes was pulling the strings. I see him more as a link man than someone who sets up goals. I agree however that playing killer balls and scoring goals is the weaker part of his game.

The sad aspect thought is could he have kept up that level if Phil was still there to play along side him? One of those questions we will never know the answer to.

Havign re-read some of the stuff that's been posted by some of the Stockport fans, mention is made that Gannon likes players that can play in several positions (he played both centre back and midfield himself). Could be the reason he only sees the need for 5 or 6 signings...?

Mclean off to Falkirk

Click

I know he didn't play too many games over the years but I was always impressed with him when he played at centre half. Think we've passed up on a good one there but hardly surprising given his horrific injuries. Let's hope we can get some signings in over the next couple of weeks to compensate for all these losses. Good luck Brian, enjoy the first division. :lol:

Mclean off to Falkirk

Click

Bit dissappointed with this news, especially if we offered him a contract and he turned it down as we basically stood by him through the last two seasons with his injury problems. I felt this season was his time to shine with Coach looking certain to be off and doubts wether we will keep Reynolds.

That said, it only depends if we offered him a contract or not. If not, then why not? Has the finger to be pointed at McGhee again??

If so, he really has went out his way to undo all the good work he done with us by leaving us so short staffed player wise!

Thats utter baws!

Anyway, all the best Brian!

Nah fuck that.

Get yerselve to fuck McLean. We stuck by him through many an injury and he has fucked off to a footballing backwater called Falkirk to play for a management team that probably can't add up fucking numbers!

Total bawbag. Will get some serious booing from me the prick!

Nah fuck that.

Get yerselve to fuck McLean. We stuck by him through many an injury and he has fucked off to a footballing backwater called Falkirk to play for a management team that probably can't add up fucking numbers!

Total bawbag. Will get some serious booing from me the prick!

Agree with this, he won't be missed, hardly kicked a ball for us and is easily replaceable. No tears shed here, Falkirk are welcome to him.

I stand by my comment! I'm all for players moving onto better things and I don't mind seeing us as a stepping stone. But Falkirk? We stood by him. he should of stood by us and taken a 1 year deal and proved his worth, proved that he can go a season without getting injured and we would have given him a longer deal or he could of gone on a bosman.

we would have given him a longer deal or he could of gone on a bosman.

:unsure: He did go on a Bosman.

Not sure why there is such a stooshie over a journeyman defender who averaged 15 games a season for us. If it was Brian Martin, or McCart or Krivokapic or something then fair enough but Brian McLean? He'll be replaced and probably fairly easily (now that McGhee is gone :lol: )

Brian was a really nice big guy, always courtious and friendly. Sad to see him go, however he did get a better offer from Falkirk and you can't honestly blame the guy, if you were in his shoes you would do the same. We will no doubt replace him with a better quality of player under Jimbo.

All the best Brian, except against the 'Well.

Nah, fuck him. It's understandable that we only offerred him one year as he was constantly injured and we never got value for money out of him in the time that he was here. I think we deserved for him to show us some loyalty but, as with most footballers, he didn't.

I re-iterate... fuck him.