In's And Out's

AndyRoss

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need to replace Clarky, his absence tonight was more than obvious , Sutton can't jump, can't header a ball with power caouldnae hit a coo on the arse with a banjo.

OK, we need to replace Clarkson but Sutton is our ONLY chance of getting through his tie which is not to say he played well last night incidentally. Here's the league goal tallies from last season for the side we put out last night

Fraser - 0

Saunders - 0

Craigan - 0

Reynolds - 0

Hammell - 0

Murphy - 2

McGarry - 0

Lasley - 0

Forbes - 0

O'Brien - 1

Sutton - 10

Slane - 0

McHugh - 0

If you exclude Sutton from that you have 3 goals from 212 league appearances.

If you include the 6 cup games last season its even worse. Outside Sutton (2 goals) only Murphy scored adding 1.

It's an absolutely shocking statistic.

We do seem to struggle to get goalscoring contributions from defence and midfield. Serious work is needed on the training field in terms of long range shooting and attacking set pieces.

Defending set pieces is STILL an issue too, despite MMG supposedly identifying our need for a big centre half for two years!

Sutton is our ONLY chance of getting through

Except most of Suttons goals were close range efforts which with an inevitably packed defence means he is just an extra body in the way. Perhaps starting with the more mobile players and getting a few shots in on goal would be worthwhile. A more frequent onslaught like Slane and Forbes efforts late on would I'm sure yield results.

I agree with that but Hammell could be pushed into Left Midfield

Try pushing him anywhere just now would be a major achievement - seems to have bulked up a bit in the 'close-season' :P Seriously lets forget about Hammell in the middle of the park - he's a wing-back of sorts, but with the exception of his crossing ability, offers little in composure or passing ability - in fact I don't think he has improved any since leaving and coming back from Southend - not saying he's a bad player, just that he hasn't improved any :wallbash:

Was it just me who thought the fact that Darren Smith and Fitzy STILL couldn't get a geme last night spreaks volumes about their ability and future? Basically Gannon's taken one look at them and is playing 16/17 year olds in a Euro game before them!!

Incidentaly, last night - if there is any positives then it will be the panick button being pressed on signing in at LEAST two forward players ASAP.

We couldnae score in a barrell of fannies!

Was it just me who thought the fact that Darren Smith and Fitzy STILL couldn't get a geme last night spreaks volumes about their ability and future? Basically Gannon's taken one look at them and is playing 16/17 year olds in a Euro game before them!!

no it's not just you. but JG was only in the door for 4 days so a bit soon to completely condemn them surely? I just think he got it a bit wrong with his tactics. Maybe he thought the younger players should have been good enough to beat part-timers.

thats what i've been thinking, maybe he'll give them more time to impress but if DLS and fitzy cant get a game in that team, they've got no hope.

i do think that they both have a place in the squad and are worth keeping though, they may step up this week in training due to that fact, and either of them can hopefully get a game ahead of mcgarry

Folk are being a bit too critical are they not!?

We are just over a week into pre-season.

Fair do's, Llanelli are pobably the pishest outfit I have seen Motherwell play in a 'competitive' game but we wouldn't be reading anything into this if it was a friendlly.

I'm confident Gannon has not underestimated the scale of the job and will bring in players of the required calibre.

Fair do's, Llanelli are pobably the pishest outfit I have seen Motherwell play in a 'competitive' game but we wouldn't be reading anything into this if it was a friendlly.

yeah we probably would be moaning but without too much attention. this defeat is a wee bit more public

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/uefacup/n...sid=843943.html

Folk are being a bit too critical are they not!?

We are just over a week into pre-season.

I'm confident Gannon has not underestimated the scale of the job and will bring in players of the required calibre.

Agreed :lol:

Lets face it, we were not at Home despite the home tie

We were six first team starters short from Last season ( seven including McLean) so only four first team starters from last season played

Llanelli ( pub team or not ) have qualified for European Competition on a regular basis therefore knew what they were getting into and were probably in training accordingly ( a couple of weeks prior at least) with a manager in place

we were in a week prior!!! managerless

we took them on with virtually a reserve team who will be even more clued up and fired up for the return leg

Not all bad tho :angry:

Agreed :lol:

Lets face it, we were not at Home despite the home tie

We were six first team starters short from Last season ( seven including McLean) so only four first team starters from last season played

11 Full Time Players v 11 Part Time Players. Should have won regardless of circumstances.

Well 24 hours on...it seems that now that we (may) have calmed down a little, the damage can be examined with more objectivity.

Before last nights escapade I believed we needed 6 players to really settle the squad and build for next season, after all of the departures and unrest. After seeing what we are left with however, the problems may be far deeper.

Starting at last nights XI

Fraser- Doubts were raised over his signing, but I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. Many will say he didn't have much to do last night, but the fact is, we conceded a goal, in territory where I would expect a keeper to be easily assured every day of the week. I can recall at least 3 occasions where he was rooted to his line (not inspiring confidence!). He may do as backup but I feel we are in desperate need of a new keeper - Player 1 needed

Saunders- He has the basics of his game there, but he like Murphy seems to be suffering from bowts of anorexia overcoming our younger players. Gaining a physical aspect would be enough to secure him a place IMO, so I believe we are covered there.

Craigan- IMO, although at fault for the goal last night he is our best defender. He adds much needed experience, and can be very assured. Without doubt a starter! But, age, and injury may be against him - Player 2, cover but not replacement!

Reynolds- Has his critics, but IMO is a very talented player. He has the attribute of pace not common amonst centre halfs in the SPL so IMO without doubt a starter.

Hammell- I feel his game is too limited, and although he isn't bad at coming forward, he doesnt inspire me with confidence when the needed aspect of defending comes into play. - Player 3 needed replacement.

Murphy- For me, in no way shape or form should he be starting. Not a bad impact player to have on occasion, but he is a stone under weight, and cant handle players roughing him up a bit, which unfortunatly is totally useless in the scottish style of the SPL. I would in noway get rid of him but, he really needs ' coaching'. BUT in the back of my mind, i have a nagging doubt, that despite weight gain and whatever else, i am not sure whether he has the mentality to change his game, I maybe wrong- Player 4 needed replacement

Lasley- Was rank rotten last night, but IMO is generally a good player, and only last season, until christmas, was IMO the best player in C & A. Not the commanding type that he was asked to play as a role last night but he can be good as a worker with players around him, so he is a definate starter.

Forbes- Think that he could turn into a useful asset. People complain about his lack of forward play last night, but that maybe down to nerves. I cant remeber him loosing the ball to often and he seemed to always find an amber jersey, for now I would persevere as a starter.

Mcgarry- The less said the better. First division player. For all he tries he is simply crap- Player 5 needed replacement.

O'Brien- Has his fans, but IMO i cannot for the life of me see why. He does nothing but fancy flicks going sideways, looses the ball then complains to other people for his mistakes. Plus he is up there with the worst crossers in wing play I've ever seen- Player 6 Replacemet needed!

Sutton- Can score goals, and I dont think it is totally fair to judge him solely on last night playing as a loan striker, but to be fair I dont think his link up play with a partner ie Clarkson or Porter was great either. Doesnt win enough headers for his size- Player 7 replacement needed.

Slane- Maybe jumping the gun here, but I think this guy could be a ready made replacement for O'Brien. Fearless running at players and can BEAT a man unlike O'Brien. Was the star for me last night, and hey he can hit the target to (O'Brien anyone)

McHugh- For me showed more attacking threat than Sutton did the whole game. Very eager looking and I think a very good prospect.

Fitzpatrick & DLS- Says it all that these guys could in one shape or form force their way ino the team last night. Have always thought Fitzpatrick was rotten end of. DLS I do believe has talent, but I suspect his time with the Aberdeen tit has ruined his career through stutering performances when he was playing well. Sad to say but he is done.

The other three guys on the bench- Far too early to say, but they have obviously impressed at one level or another...so we shall see.

Anyway, recap.

IMO I would go the whole hog and offload Mcgarry, Fitzpatrick, and DLS to try and free more wages.

We have signed Jennings in the midfield, which would seem the Mcgarry replacement?

Anyway needed:

1 Keeper

2 Defenders- Cover, and a new left back

4 MORE Midfielders - 2 to take the places of Murphy and O'Brien, and 2 as cover

3 Strikers- Not only as a Sutton replacement but backup in order to change shape etc.

There we are 10 players IMO on top of Jennings are SERIOSULY needed, i maybe living in cloud cuckoo land when I say that, but being brutally honest its the way I see it.

We will trully see what Gannon is made of here, but also to remeber that with all this movement and influx of players it wont all be rosy at first as players need to adjust to one another but hopefully on a crux of mainly youth, that can happen quicker.

Let the fun begin.

I notice you mention O'Brien has his fans. It seems Lasley does too. I know you mentioned before Christmas but what has what a player done over 7 months ago got to do why they should be in our squad this season?

So to sum it up

You're binning a keeper after one game. Our two most dangerous players going forward (Hammell and O'Brien), a player that looked interested and actually you could tell was wanting to do their best for Motherwell (McGarry), a striker that will bag at least 10 goals a season (Sutton) but you're keeping a midfielder that cant pass, can't trap a ball, and trips over his own feet.... (going on the reaction of last night)? :lol:

You're binning a keeper after one game. Our two most dangerous players going forward (Hammell and O'Brien), a player that looked interested and actually you could tell was wanting to do their best for Motherwell (McGarry), a striker that will bag at least 10 goals a season (Sutton) but you're keeping a midfielder that cant pass, can't trap a ball, and trips over his own feet.... (going on the reaction of last night)? :lol:

I'm not binning, Hammell or Sutton , simply finding more effective players to do their job, if you read carefully youll see the only offloaders are Fitz DLS and Mcgarry, who no matter now much he tries is absolute unadultered crap. And btw if you think O'Brien winging is to show commitment for the team, you are a poor judge of character. People like him want what is best for themselves, and tbh i would mind so much if he the ability to carry it off

Where did I say O'Brien and commitment for the team? I was talking about McGarry, who last night covered more territory in the first half than any other midfielder in the team, always looking for the ball and never shied away unlike the person he took over from in the second half! Not bad for the worst midfielder in the side... not forgetting him receiving a sore one very early on.

Where did I say O'Brien and commitment for the team? I was talking about McGarry, who last night covered more territory in the first half than any other midfielder in the team, always looking for the ball and never shied away unlike the person he took over from in the second half! Not bad for the worst midfielder in the side... not forgetting him receiving a sore one very early on.

Oh well boo hoo for Mcgarry. Honestly, if you think we could survive with a player of that calibre starting each week then I'll be sure to wave to you when we are travelling to places like Firhill, Almondvale and the Caledonian Stadium

Well Boo Hoo for McGarry - that's a real sensible way to debate things :woop: and after such a good start too with your original post. I seem to be in the minority - certainly on this board - that feels that McGarry gets a raw deal - I agree with Wellfan1984 for the most part, though not for a minute do I think he is a shoe horn in for a starting place every week, but he certainly shows more enthusiasm, than some of the more established favourites of the vocal masses on this board - Hammell, DLS (the one trick pony - down the bye-line and 'open the gates') and Lasley.

But to answer your first question in the original post - yes you are living in cloud cuckoo land and I'll no doubt wave back while travelling to Firhill, Almondvale (If its still open) et al (did it before and will no doubt do it again, if or when the time comes) - so I take it you wouldn't be going then (Glory Hunter).