Mirren Game

happyslappy

Well what can I really say about that today?

Probably not a lot that hasn't been said but I suppose one thing we can say is that Hammell ain't a midfielder. Having said that I now also have my doubts about the rest of the so called midfield. How many times was Clarky surrounded by 3 or 4 St Mirren players before one of ours got close to him. It was the same with Jim O'Brien at times as well.

Too many folk out on that pitch didn't seem to want to put in a shift today.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hugely disappointing but hardly surprising.

Considering where we were at Christmas I think it was near miraculous that we managed to get back into contention for a top 6 finish. Plenty of graft and effort but absolutely no quality – Stephen Hughes excepted.

However having said that, I would like to make the following observations on our manager and players:

Manager

Wrong team selection from the start. In a home game which we needed to win, against a team well below us in the league why did he:

- play our normal right-back at left back (Quinn);

- play our normal left-back in midfield (Hammell);

- play a 4-3-3 with two defenders (Klimpl and Hammell);

- wait until St. Mirren scored before making a substitution;

- have his defenders launch long balls to Sutton but have no midfield players getting forward to

take advantage of his knockdowns;

- vary his tactics occasionally from just launching long balls forward;

- have no width to our forward play.

This is not the first vitally important game that he has done this – has he not learned anything? Far too indecisive and seems incapable of influencing a game by use of substitutes. Also is he able to motivate the players.

Players

Poor application and questions must be asked about their mentality and spinal fortitude when the chips are down. This is not the first time they have bottled it.

If McGhee stays, then now that the top 6 is over and we are safe from relegation, I believe its now time for him to re-build and bring in some new blood. Of the current lot, I believe the only ones he brought are Hughes, O’Brien and Klimpl. The rest he inherited and lets be brutally frank a lot of them are rank.

Keep

McLean

Reynolds (not a centre back in a million years but move into left back)

Hughes (if he'll stay)

Klimpl (if he'll stay)

Sutton

Clarkson

Murphy

Lasley

Move Out

G. Smith (wants to play at a higher level – I’d recommend Mexico it’s nearly 7,500 feet above sea level)

P. Quinn (one of the worst defenders ever seen at FP. Still making same errors as when he came into the first team)

S. Hammell (full backs need to be able to defend first and foremost and he can't)

S. Craigan (simply too old and slow now)

O’Brien (sand dancer and now back to what he was when he first came)

Fitzpatrick (has had a long time to establish himself as first team regular and failed)

D Smith (not good enough for SPL)

McGarry (still don’t why he was originally signed)

I don’t give a monkey’s chuff if this gets on anybody’s tits because facts need to be faced. IMO McGhee first needs to build a defence that is hard to break down and score against and not be fragile like the present lot, and then take it on from there. This needs to be a top priority for him now. He needs to show that he can manage now.

Hugely disappointing but hardly surprising.

Considering where we were at Christmas I think it was near miraculous that we managed to get back into contention for a top 6 finish. Plenty of graft and effort but absolutely no quality – Stephen Hughes excepted.

However having said that, I would like to make the following observations on our manager and players:

Manager

Wrong team selection from the start. In a home game which we needed to win, against a team well below us in the league why did he:

- play our normal right-back at left back (Quinn);

- play our normal left-back in midfield (Hammell);

- play a 4-3-3 with two defenders (Klimpl and Hammell);

- wait until St. Mirren scored before making a substitution;

- have his defenders launch long balls to Sutton but have no midfield players getting forward to

take advantage of his knockdowns;

- vary his tactics occasionally from just launching long balls forward;

- have no width to our forward play.

This is not the first vitally important game that he has done this – has he not learned anything? Far too indecisive and seems incapable of influencing a game by use of substitutes. Also is he able to motivate the players.

Players

Poor application and questions must be asked about their mentality and spinal fortitude when the chips are down. This is not the first time they have bottled it.

If McGhee stays, then now that the top 6 is over and we are safe from relegation, I believe its now time for him to re-build and bring in some new blood. Of the current lot, I believe the only ones he brought are Hughes, O'Brien and Klimpl. The rest he inherited and lets be brutally frank a lot of them are rank.

Keep

McLean

Reynolds (not a centre back in a million years but move into left back)

Hughes (if he'll stay)

Klimpl (if he'll stay)

Sutton

Clarkson

Murphy

Lasley

Move Out

G. Smith (wants to play at a higher level – I'd recommend Mexico it's nearly 7,500 feet above sea level)

P. Quinn (one of the worst defenders ever seen at FP. Still making same errors as when he came into the first team)

S. Hammell (full backs need to be able to defend first and foremost and he can't)

S. Craigan (simply too old and slow now)

O'Brien (sand dancer and now back to what he was when he first came)

Fitzpatrick (has had a long time to establish himself as first team regular and failed)

D Smith (not good enough for SPL)

McGarry (still don't why he was originally signed)

I don't give a monkey's chuff if this gets on anybody's tits because facts need to be faced. IMO McGhee first needs to build a defence that is hard to break down and score against and not be fragile like the present lot, and then take it on from there. This needs to be a top priority for him now. He needs to show that he can manage now.

So who do you suggest we bring in then to replace these players?

The biggest disappointment was Jim O'Brian today. Totally inept and back to the form he showed at the start of the season. I wouldn't waste my breath ranting about Sutton.

r.

I have to disagree mate O'Brien for me was one of the few players who deserve pass marks had it not been for the fact that so many times we either played so narrow or played the ball down the left with no one able to pass the ball the width of the pitch it could have been so different ,I lost count of the times Jim O brien was free in space on that right wing and got hee haw service, IMO he's one of the players we must hold on to

Are you going to finance the signing of at least 10 First Team players El Grew?

Dear god where do people get their ideas of bin him, him and him from... FFS! We're Motherwell FC, with a budget of eh... thousands, not Manchester United with budget of tens of millions to spend on players...

Good post Grew. I don't necessarily agree with every individual observation but it wouldn't unduly worry me if Stephen Hughes moved on. Unquestionably he's very talented but totally inconsistent and tends to disappear when the going gets tough. Today, as was the game at Rugby Park, was tailor made for him to take the game by the scruff of the neck and set it alight...but he just disappeared for long spells. John Sutton doesn't cut it for me. He's simply not mobile enough and doesn't cause enough damage to opposing defences.

For the first time in my life I left a game before the final whistle, had I come straight home I'd have posted all manner of stuff about the gaffer must go, certain players not good enough, certain players not being there next season, not renewing my season ticket etc.

But I went to the pub instead,

Yes it was disappointing

Yes the apparent non use of subs at appropriate times pissed me off

Yes I was calling for McGhees head

yes I swore blind i wouldn't be back

But all of the above aside its still the 'well and I'll still support them, But we were still pish today.

Hughes cant do it all by himself , who else was creating in midfield today ? Klimpl may be a cult hero but he cant shoot and can barely find a forward pass , Hammell is a left back playing midfield and Jim O'Brien .... well , a post above says we must hold onto him - does he know something we dont , are Elgin and Inverurie planning on raid - if theyve based their scouting on actually watching him rather than the ludicrous MOTM poll on here each week then probably not.

Hold on to him ? You couldnt get anyone else in the SPL to take him on a wages paid loan and give him a seat on their bench. and that's a fact.

I think the main problem Hughes has faced this season, other than the reports of playing not totally fit, is that we have still not managed to properly replace O'Donnell. With both of them in the midfield last season was when Hughes and the team were at their best. He needs someone else in there with him with a 'good football brain' who is one step ahead and can help with Hughes to create some space and get things going.

If we have the option I'd still keep him. With Hughes and someone else like that in the middle with Fitzpatrick/Lasely/Klimpl or AN Other battling away along side them, that could see us go some way towards another season like last years'.

How does no one complain of SUper-World Star Striker David "I cant even control a Ball" Clarkson... He seems to get of very, very lightly!

Retrospectivly I think we sold Top 6 with Porter leaving, although I can see it was business. We simply dont have a striker anymore.

Sutton: Big target man, but we dont play for him, although he doesnt show he should be played at

Murphy: might have talent, but dont know and he dint do anough this season to convince me YET!

Clarkson: I dont know... simply dont like him, bc he is not a footballer! He doesnt deserve a place in a SPL team, simply bc of his lack of technical ability and goalscoring. Running alone doesnt really help...

ENough for tonight :rolleyes:

Not much I can say that hasn't already been said, Reynolds has to be dropped, he is a liability, a total and utter liability on his form, and that has been the case for the last year and a bit.

Klimpl, the more I see him the more I think he's a bombscare, as I heard someone around me say today, his first touch is nearly always a tackle, a reckless one at that and he'll miss more games through suspension in a full year than good performances he'll put in.

McGhee again got things wrong tactically in a big game, but thats nothing new as I can't remember a Motherwell team turning up and getting the job done in a big game in my lifetime, we're big time choke artists.

So so frustrating that yet again we're let down, particularly the fact it was feckin ST MIRREN, they are woeful and yet they always manage to beat us, they just, like ICT for a spell, know how to play against us and make is so ineffective.

I doubt you'll find many that will class Clarkson as a 'Super-Duper World Beater' but the one thing you get with Clarky is nothing less than 100% every week. You know when Clarky is playing you know he is going to run his arse into the ground every week for the cause, tracking back putting in tackles as well as trying to set up attacks. And even though things might not come off for him every week he doesn't stop trying. He never gives defenders a minutes peace and that 'nuisance factor' can be invaluble at times.

How does no one complain of SUper-World Star Striker David "I cant even control a Ball" Clarkson... He seems to get of very, very lightly!

Retrospectivly I think we sold Top 6 with Porter leaving, although I can see it was business. We simply dont have a striker anymore.

Sutton: Big target man, but we dont play for him, although he doesnt show he should be played at

Murphy: might have talent, but dont know and he dint do anough this season to convince me YET!

Clarkson: I dont know... simply dont like him, bc he is not a footballer! He doesnt deserve a place in a SPL team, simply bc of his lack of technical ability and goalscoring. Running alone doesnt really help...

ENough for tonight :rolleyes:

IMO Clarkson is the best attacking option we have (as the jury is out on Murphy due to lack of chances). His effort , talent and general goal threat are far ahead of anyone other forward likely to get a game. Not saying he's Ruud Van Nistelrooy but the thought of us with this squad in a relegation battle without him brings me out in cold sweats , think back to December.

Sutton looks to be too far off the pace to play with him or anyone else. Can Sheridan be sent back to the piggery early ? What a waste of money that it is if all hes doing is warming the bench taking a wage, doing one of our own younger players out of an audition

IMO Clarkson is the best attacking option we have (as the jury is out on Murphy due to lack of chances). His effort , talent and general goal threat are far ahead of anyone other forward likely to get a game. Not saying he's Ruud Van Nistelrooy but the thought of us with this squad in a relegation battle without him brings me out in cold sweats , think back to December.

I honeslty think, the team would be worse without him.

If people want to get rid of playes like Hammell, McGarry, O'Brien etc then he should be out the door as well. I think he has proven that over the last couple of seasons. He is not ready for the step up and as I mentioned in anotehr thread, he had plenty of chances.

For Wellfan1984 and WellArmy 88

"I don’t give a monkey’s chuff if this gets on anybody’s tits because facts need to be faced."

Ya pair of twats. Where will we get players from to replace them? McGhee will just have to start earn his fucking money now and do a bit of what Tommy McLean had to do when he had no money - wheel and deal in the transfer market.

There will be plenty of players out of contract at other SPL clubs and plenty of players at clubs in the 1st Division who could do us a turn (Dundee, Livingston, Partick etc.) + give some of the youngsters at the club a try. In short he should start to do what a football manager should be doing - get up of his arse and do some scouting to try and improve his squad instead of spouting off in newspaper columns.

Forget all this loan signing shite and players from the Bundesliga etc. and do some honest fucking grafting for a change. :rolleyes:

I was amazed in January that no-one took a chance and snapped up Dorman. Indeed, when he signed for Saint Mirren I was surprised then as he had a very good reputation behind him. Superb striker of the ball, and won't be at Love Street next season (or whatever they call it now). Wish we'd taken a chance on him, always impressed me.

Seriously....

9 goals from 25 starts really shows a lack of goalscoring ability doesn't it? Forget the facts that he's one of the top scorers in the SPL this season and he's often played wide this season. i.e not in a traditional striker role.

As I've said before without Hammell and Clarkson we'd be another relegation candidate struggling to get any goals whatsoever.

If you want Motherwell to improve maybe we could concentrate on actually getting some good delivery from BOTH flanks. When did Motherwell last trouble a side down our right side? O'Brien put in one good cross and McLean barely crosses the half way line. By only have one 'potent' flank you make it so much easier for the defending team to keep a clean sheet.

as per usual some well fans are choosing to only pick up on the negatives and i for about 2 hrs after the game was one of them but i took a step back and looked at the bigger picture and it makes for not bad reading we have only lost 2 of our last 15 games when was the last time that happened!!!! plus i think the team deserve a lot of credit for even giving us a shot at the top six considering where we were at xmas

rant over

I was amazed in January that no-one took a chance and snapped up Dorman. Indeed, when he signed for Saint Mirren I was surprised then as he had a very good reputation behind him. Superb striker of the ball, and won't be at Love Street next season (or whatever they call it now). Wish we'd taken a chance on him, always impressed me.

To be honest there's strong rumours he'll be gone in the summer. We've got to be realistic that if a half decent offer comes in we can't hold onto him. That's the hard facts of the SPL, the bigot brothers, while their resources are not what they were, will still "cherry pick" any shining starts from the rest.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/scottish/s...ndy-Dorman.html

Hope you guys do use the 5 remaining games to blood some youngsters, gives you an idea what could be required next season.

;)

Andy Dorman, although not quite the same type of player as Stephen Hughes, is a better one in my opinion. No disrespect to Saints but he is playing consistently well and scoring regularly in a side that isn't one of the top SPL ones. In my book that shows his true value. Had he been at Fir Park, even since the turn of the year, we would have made the top half comfortably. It was a stick on he'd score yesterday.

By comparison, Stephen Hughes is very talented but in too many games, particularly crunch ones, simply doesn't show up.

I honestly can't see us blood many youngsters in the last 5 games as we don't have many, if any, who are quite at that stage yet. That may well change in a couple of years though.

"I don't give a monkey's chuff if this gets on anybody's tits because facts need to be faced."

Ya pair of twats. Where will we get players from to replace them? McGhee will just have to start earn his fucking money now and do a bit of what Tommy McLean had to do when he had no money - wheel and deal in the transfer market.

There will be plenty of players out of contract at other SPL clubs and plenty of players at clubs in the 1st Division who could do us a turn (Dundee, Livingston, Partick etc.) + give some of the youngsters at the club a try. In short he should start to do what a football manager should be doing - get up of his arse and do some scouting to try and improve his squad instead of spouting off in newspaper columns.

Forget all this loan signing shite and players from the Bundesliga etc. and do some honest fucking grafting for a change. ;)

Absolutely 100% spot on!

"I don't give a monkey's chuff if this gets on anybody's tits because facts need to be faced."

Forget all this loan signing shite and players from the Bundesliga etc. and do some honest fucking grafting for a change. ;)

Comparing the Transfer Market of McLean era and the current era. Are you fucking daft? They're not the same. The Bosman ruling and the SPFA rules state you can't just bin x, y and z. These players have contracts, which if we are to get rid of will have to be paid of all by any chance they will have bids come in.

Now, the best bit McGhee should do some scouting? FFS, no major manager does scounting, he hires people to do that for him, while using his contacts, which for McGhee are Celtic, England and Germany.

I never figured you for a daft Football Manager. Maybe when McGhee does leave you'll put yourself forward for the job. Maybe be in the McLean mode, where fans like you can hurl abuse at you, demand your head week in week out, while pretending they know what goes on as a Football Manager...

In terms of the game I felt we bossed the first hour without ever looking like a goal was forthcoming, which perhaps sums us up this season. St Mirren somehow managed to win a game they had set out to get a draw from, which says a lot for how we defended at times!

Huge disappointment but now we must look to next season and give the likes of McHugh, Saunders, Hutchinson and Slane some game time.

The reason we lost yesterday is because our front line is pish. Sutton and O'Brian were crap again as they've been several times this season. Clarky tried hard as always but had no support and how a big guy like Sutton can hide so well is amazing as for O'Brian a 10 year old wean could mark him out a game. Reynolds attempted clearence for their 1st goal was ABYSMAL and he'll NEVER be a decent central defender in my opinion he's simply not strong enough. Rant and season OVER! :( .