Canterbury

Guest 'Flow

While I tend to steer clear of the doom-mongering, this is a bit scary:

He outlined five reasons that forced the board to conclude that there was no prospect of the club making money in the forseeable future:

• Dwindling gates because of the uncompetitive nature of the SPL, now dominated completely by Celtic and Rangers.
  • The loss of its 10-year association with redundancy-hit club sponsor Motorola.
  • The general collapse of income from television.
  • The Old Firm's decision to block the SPL's plan for its own, subscription-based television channel.
  • A general economic downturn that had caused firms to reduce the use of the club's corporate hospitality facilities.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the greatest of respect the clubs you mention, Rugby and Football, sell very few outwith their specific regions.

actually, the rugby tops are more likely to be sold out with their own regions, but maybe that's just rugby fans?

Quite sad that you appear to be taking joy at others' misfortune...

Joy! Are you joking, I've been sick since we got in tow with Canterbury.

I cant come on here shouting the odds about Canterbury, when I'm not privy to the deal and, to be frank, I thought we might just have seen it out, but the minute Canterbury South Africa went, well it was only a matter of time.

Obviously you weren't anywhere near Edinburgh during the Heineken cup final or saw the semi-final, Leinster Rugby had 40k fans, so I would say they have pretty big draw, not only in Ireland, but also Europe wide.

How many tops do you think they sell?

How many Leinster tops do you see on the beaches during the summer?

Would most people know one if they saw it?

Like they recognise Liverpool, Man Utd, or Arsenal.

For all Leinster fans there shirt sales would probably be dwarfed by most SPL clubs.

How can their financial performance this time last year have any bearing on this current problem? The club would have known then about an imminent change of manufacturer and discussions would have started maybe that far back I'm sure. So they could have been doing okay a year ago and credit checks would come up fine, hit problems earlier this year by which time all contracts had been signed and hoped to get through a difficult period.

Basically I think we're at our usual on here, talking through wir erses B-)

It wouldn't, if you are checking someone's credit rating it's generally based on their financial records from the previous year. Few companies will have filed their 2008 accounts yet, so most records showing will be from 2007.

It wouldn't, if you are checking someone's credit rating it's generally based on their financial records from the previous year. Few companies will have filed their 2008 accounts yet, so most records showing will be from 2007.

True, so why did you say this earlier in the thread?

Anybody with the ability to read a balance sheet and a credit report and take the correct data from each one would have given you a fairly poor report on Canterbury. The minute Canterbury SA went, it was obvious Eurrope would topple over next.

As posted above, the South African business was operating under a licence from the NZ company, it was not a subsidiary of the worldwide group. It went out the game in January so not exactly a case of the European operations toppling over the next minute?

Only problem with these types of services is it is usually too late when you know they are going tits up. Most insolvencies are staged to protect the owners rather than creditors. It is a big racket and a very dirty game. Everyone gets fecked over apart from Insolvency Practitioner, Accountants, and owners if the job is done well.

As told to me by someone who works in Insolvency game.

Over to Lynda Block for ways to "massage" the figures in Financial Records.

For all Leinster fans there shirt sales would probably be dwarfed by most SPL clubs.

you really have no clue!

Leinster have an average attendance of 14727 which is greater than all in the SPL but the OF and Hearts. As was said, Edinburgh was awash with blue and black during the weekend of the H-cup final, and that was replica tops. I'd be interested to know how many tops Motherwell shift in a season...

incidentally, Cardiff, have an average of about 8600 (so 6th in SPL). Also, how many SPL teams could go to their national stadium for the odd game and sell it out? Wasps' highest home league attendance is 81000 (set last year i believe).

you really have no clue!

Leinster have an average attendance of 14727 which is greater than all in the SPL but the OF and Hearts. As was said, Edinburgh was awash with blue and black during the weekend of the H-cup final, and that was replica tops. I'd be interested to know how many tops Motherwell shift in a season...

incidentally, Cardiff, have an average of about 8600 (so 6th in SPL). Also, how many SPL teams could go to their national stadium for the odd game and sell it out? Wasps' highest home league attendance is 81000 (set last year i believe).

I was in edinburgh the day of the egg chasing final and saw fuck all rugby tops. Only evidence of it was every pub being the 'official heineken cup pub'. Only colours I saw were Celtic fans travelling through to Glasgow the next morning. And the lip guy has a point, show someone a football top from any SPL/EPL/championship side, and a rugger top and the majority would recognise the football top.

Infact, I tell a lie. I saw one guy wearing an Ireland rugby top a party. He wasn't a fan of whoever was playing, he just wore it to a party. B-)

Rugby. :doh::doh::doh:

I was in edinburgh the day of the egg chasing final and saw fuck all rugby tops. Only evidence of it was every pub being the 'official heineken cup pub'. Only colours I saw were Celtic fans travelling through to Glasgow the next morning. And the lip guy has a point, show someone a football top from any SPL/EPL/championship side, and a rugger top and the majority would recognise the football top.

Edinburgh was absolutely heaving with Leinster/Leicester tops that day. You must be blind.

What a bunch of ignorant (in the purest sense of the word) insensitive tossers some of you are.

PSL - I'm pretty sure have been dealing with Canterbury for long and weary as they supply other sports clubs outwith football. Rugby Cricket etc. So rolling that out to MFC wasn't necessarily a step into the unknown.

I don't think they are that big an outfit - but know (not guess) that those involved in putting a strip together that met the fans wishes worked really hard on it. I know that they are as big a Motherwell fan as any of us other sad gits on here.

If only you knew!

claretbandonambershirt (and it's a fucking hoop) and TheLip etc - get a fuckin grip would ya.

banding about the stuff that your banding I'm pretty sure isn't accurate or helpful.

This ain't Real Madrid

Hi SteveDiggle,

Have read your post and agree with you that our new kit design is, in my opinion, the best in decades and your friends, the designers, should be applauded for their work. That being said, I do not retract one word from my previous post. Many fans reported their annoyance at the "quality" of the shirts they bought. That must be taken into consideration. As to my point on due diligence, clearly, it was not done properly. My view is protect the fans, oh and you don't need to tell me about the claret hoop, but thanks for the information. We are all in the same club but I am fed up with the people of Motherwell being constantly given second best, ergo the council and the state of the town. We are obviously not Real Madrid, but "only if we knew" what? The people of Motherwell deserve the best, second best aint good enough.

Hi SteveDiggle,

Have read your post and agree with you that our new kit design is, in my opinion, the best in decades and your friends, the designers, should be applauded for their work. That being said, I do not retract one word from my previous post. Many fans reported their annoyance at the "quality" of the shirts they bought. That must be taken into consideration. As to my point on due diligence, clearly, it was not done properly. My view is protect the fans, oh and you don't need to tell me about the claret hoop, but thanks for the information. We are all in the same club but I am fed up with the people of Motherwell being constantly given second best, ergo the council and the state of the town. We are obviously not Real Madrid, but "only if we knew" what? The people of Motherwell deserve the best, second best aint good enough.

Fair enough although I think most on here are talking out their arse as fatcalf has said. making it up as they go along.

You or anyone else have no evidence to suggest due dilligence wasn't done. It's quite a bold statement to make - bordering libel if you're wrong.

I'll be a dissenting voice and suggest that it WAS done and it threw up no problems - but hey like yourselves I'm just guessing

I'll also suggest that guys at PSL worked hard to give the fans the very best that could be provided. They wanted to deliver a belter of a kit in both design and technical properties.

The difference on opinion on quality I believe is down to the fine material - that I believe is a perception thing and perfectly understandable. Guys in the know have posted that it's techically one of Canterburys more advanced fabrics. there's a perception amongst some though that it's poor quality because it's not as thick as the Bukta efforts (a material with completely different properties). There's also a perception amongst some that it's great and they love it. So hardly a closed case.

The other thing I would say is - it's been the most popular kit launch in donkeys. many people have bought it and have worn it proudly at the games yet haven't posted on a forum or taken the thing back to the club.

i'm sure it was said earlier that there were very few returns.

The poorest thing for me is the level of venom that surfaces for people with the club at heart trying to deliver something that fans want.

It's inexcusable and wish you could put yourself in their shoes for a couple of minutes.

Rant over

I love the new kit and had it a few days after it was launched.

I've worn it proudly in airdrie and llanelli and believe it to be the best design for years.

I've got loads of motherwell tops and shorts in the house that i've bought over the years and many of them have a different shade of amber from each other, this one is my favourite.

Also the motherwell badge in the centre looks as if it's been sewn with high definition thread.

My wifes bro in law and my top have all had to go back to the shop to be repressed bcos the jaxx logo had started to peal.

I believe they had a whole batch delivered that done this after there first wash but this was just a minor annoyance to what is the best we've ever had i'm delighted!!!

And the lip guy has a point, show someone a football top from any SPL/EPL/championship side, and a rugger top and the majority would recognise the football top.

This is due to the fact that you go on Sky and there is always football on, plus you have champions league/UEFA cup football. There is not the same coverage of rugby, and the equivalent competitions are much smaller. Bare in mind that the EPL is older than the Professional era of Rugby (rugby turned pro in 1995 after the World cup)!

Edinburgh was absolutely heaving with Leinster/Leicester tops that day. You must be blind.

yup, would agree with that.

Rather than talk through ignorance I went and asked at the shop about returns. I had to take my kids jerseys back cos the logo was peeling, simple explanation, too low a temperature used. Repressed straight away and hopefully fine now. Anyway I asked about problems and was told 3 tops had been taken back to be replaced. This after one fuckin' hellofa furore on here about poor quality!!!!

ON the finance issue I also asked about background checks and when the negotiations would have started and yes, it would have been close to a full year ago that plans were being put in place, credit checks being part of that process. So The Lip has bore me out on this one as financial records from 2007 wouldn't have shown any foreseeable issues. How could we have known this was coming?

Shit happens, it's how we deal with it that matters. I have to say Well fans ain't very good at dealing with it cos the first thing that happens is a finger pointing exercise. Blame culture rules supreme on here. We might want the best but we rarely get it but that's been the way for decades so is anyone surprised?

Blame culture is fine by me, but the finger always gets pointed in the wrong direction. The club aren't to blame. PSL aren't to blame. Canterbury have let both parties down.

Hasten to add, we can't really complain about losing out over a company going into administration given the amount of people we shafted by doing the same. The poetic justice (if you can really call it that) doesn't please me in the slightest - I'm just passing comment. Administration isn't fair on anyone. I don't know anything about business law, so my comments could be ill-informed, but it seems to me that companies who can't look after their own affairs are given a loophole to pass on their loses to people who don't deserve it.

I don't know anything about business law, so my comments could be ill-informed, but it seems to me that companies who can't look after their own affairs are given a loophole to pass on their loses to people who don't deserve it.

Just like MFC?

Just like MFC?

Hasten to add, we can't really complain about losing out over a company going into administration given the amount of people we shafted by doing the same. The poetic justice (if you can really call it that) doesn't please me in the slightest

Rather than talk through ignorance I went and asked at the shop about returns. I had to take my kids jerseys back cos the logo was peeling, simple explanation, too low a temperature used. Repressed straight away and hopefully fine now. Anyway I asked about problems and was told 3 tops had been taken back to be replaced. This after one fuckin' hellofa furore on here about poor quality!!!!

ON the finance issue I also asked about background checks and when the negotiations would have started and yes, it would have been close to a full year ago that plans were being put in place, credit checks being part of that process. So The Lip has bore me out on this one as financial records from 2007 wouldn't have shown any foreseeable issues. How could we have known this was coming?

Shit happens, it's how we deal with it that matters. I have to say Well fans ain't very good at dealing with it cos the first thing that happens is a finger pointing exercise. Blame culture rules supreme on here. We might want the best but we rarely get it but that's been the way for decades so is anyone surprised?

But did you ask about the away top?? ;)