Canterbury

Guest 'Flow

That statement from the club is rather confusing. If we have enough strips for the squad then fair enought, but is the selling of Motherwell merchandise not only a huge revenue stream for the club, but alos Provan sports.

If there are no strips to sell then what happens?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PSL - I'm pretty sure have been dealing with Canterbury for long and weary as they supply other sports clubs outwith football. Rugby Cricket etc. So rolling that out to MFC wasn't necessarily a step into the unknown.

PSL have been dealing with Dalziel Rugby Club for roughly the last 3 years (i can't quite remember) during which we've worn Canterbury rugby tops.

but is the selling of Motherwell merchandise not only a huge revenue stream for the club, but alos Provan sports.

If there are no strips to sell then what happens?

I wondered about this as well.

Lets not forget PSL like any business are are out to make money. If they have little or no Canterbury merchandise to sell in the forth coming season that can only spell disaster. If it all goes tits up I hope we can get another kit supplier asap.

It seems the team will continue to wear Canterbury kits but when the shop clears any remaining CCC replica stock who knows what will happen.

I think you're missing the point a lot of people are making, letting personal involvement with designers/staff cloud your judgement? People generally aren't complaining about the design of the strip, infacct most, including myself are pretty happy with it. The issue is quality of product. The Motherwell top is not the same quality as other Canterbury strips, eg Deportivo, Lille and AZ. I think thats what people are miffed about, infact some have said Bukta was superior in comparison which is hard to take considering the stature of the supplier. The fact that the designer is a Motherwell fan means absolutely nothing and I mean nothing. A good designer will make a product to sell as best as possible in the target market, so it wouldn't matter if they supported Grimsby as long as they produced the goods.

I'm not missing that point at all BB. I've got a shirt and I really like it - I don't have any qualms with the quality at all - others have posted the same. There are a few who don't like it and feel the quality's inferior - that's cool too - a few have posted that opinion . That's based on what people can actually touch and feel and the difference of opinion is there. No arguments with that. It's been stated that this has been one of the most successful kit launches ever at MFC so some folks are happy - but maybe not as vocal as you or I.

My point is more around that there have been some bold statements made about the way business decisions have been taken, lack of due dilligence, getting into bed with the "first tart that drops her drawers", etc. All of which are a bit risky to make without the facts if you ask me. And I don't have any of them either btw.

Scotland rugby, Preston, Portsmouth & various top club rugby sides (league and union) have all been affected by this - why should our criticism of the motherwell decision be that - we're amateur, we didn't do due dilligence we never ran credit checks? The SFA are now in the same boat with Diadora. As a business man yourself - you'll know it's carnage at the moment all over the shop.

It would have and with a major contract like this you would be bound to put it on constant review then any anomalies/inconsistencies would be flagged up, county court judgements, late paying, etc. giving the club a wee bit of warning regarding any problems.

I have to say that having worked in Credit control and Credit management for about 30 years it's quite rare for a company with the correct financial infrastructure to be caught out when a major client goes belly up.

Tell that to Portsmouth, Scottish Rugby Union, South African Rugby Union, Scottish Football Assocation and the various Rugby clubs throughout the UK who have all been hit lately with the same problems as Motherwell.

It's quite clearly not as easy as you're making out to prevent such issues.

My point is more around that there have been some bold statements made about the way business decisions have been taken, lack of due dilligence, getting into bed with the "first tart that drops her drawers", etc. All of which are a bit risky to make without the facts if you ask me. And I don't have any of them either btw.

Scotland rugby, Preston, Portsmouth & various top club rugby sides (league and union) have all been affected by this - why should our criticism of the motherwell decision be that - we're amateur, we didn't do due dilligence we never ran credit checks? The SFA are now in the same boat with Diadora.

Fully agree with both mate Its stupid to suggest that funding wouldn't have been in place from CCC, but who would have thought that they would have hit the skids so quickly? As I have said, CCC's situation seems to differ from Diadora UK as in their case it was more of a case of when not if the shit hit the fan. Look at the size of some the clubs/unioins that will be affected by this in the UK; Leinster Rugby, SRU, Portsmouth FC, Wasps, Cardiff, Irish RU, Glasgow, PNE. As you said, surely some of these clubs/unions should be coming in for some flak if we are?

With the SFA, they should be getting stick from everbody for agreeing to renew the contract with Diadora Uk as they were in troube for ages.

Looking now at the VAST difference in quality between our CCC tops and the Pompey/Lille tops it surely it is obvious to even the biggest fans of the top that CCC tried to make them on the cheap to save a precious few bob.

Shocking stuff.

No it's really not. Different material so we could get the band so different manufacturing process altogether. Get a clue. Have a look at any CCC catalogue and look up the "Sublimated Dry Fit Pique" that the shirt of made of. Cheap? You're havin a laugh.

No it's really not. Different material so we could get the band so different manufacturing process altogether. Get a clue. Have a look at any CCC catalogue and look up the "Sublimated Dry Fit Pique" that the shirt of made of. Cheap? You're havin a laugh.

C'mon now - this is SteelmenOnline. We don't allow stupid things like facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory... <_<

Different material so we could get the band

Seen others mention this. I dont buy the tops and im genuinely intrested. How does that work ?

How do Sellik manage with their hoops ? Is it to do with making the strips washable or not in their case ?

Seen others mention this. I dont buy the tops and im genuinely intrested. How does that work ?

How do Sellik manage with their hoops ? Is it to do with making the strips washable or not in their case ?

Theirs is printed too - allows a number to be transferred on.

Ours is printed (and hooped) for the first time since the Tommy Coyne Pony job and is also on the new material that N91 mentions. it's quite a fine material - which some folk are equating to cheap.

Looks like well need to get back to a hand knitted fucker so folk feel they're getting quality man!

Not got the strip myself, and have not actually held a replica of it; however it strikes me that so many people suggesting that the quality is inferior can't all be wrong.

It's all well and good criticising people for complaining about the quality, but it should be noted that these 'complainers' are consumers that have purchased a product that is not up to scratch in their opinion. Any amount of smart arsed comments will not change that fact!

Notwithstanding the above, I think it's a smoking design, and fully intend to purchase a top for 5-a-side purposes next time I visit the fortress!

In another slightly related topic, I didn't notice a stall punting our merchandise at the Taff match in Airdrie. Any chance that PSL may consider a stall for the Albanian game, as I for one would be looking to blag a top. There may be others that are unable to visit Fir Park during working hours, and I'm not sure of the delivery times from the online shop.

It's all well and good criticising people for complaining about the quality, but it should be noted that these 'complainers' are consumers that have purchased a product that is not up to scratch in their opinion. Any amount of smart arsed comments will not change that fact!

Just to be clear airfinz - here's what i posted earlier.

I'm not missing that point at all BB. I've got a shirt and I really like it - I don't have any qualms with the quality at all - others have posted the same. There are a few who don't like it and feel the quality's inferior - that's cool too - a few have posted that opinion . That's based on what people can actually touch and feel and the difference of opinion is there. No arguments with that. It's been stated that this has been one of the most successful kit launches ever at MFC so some folks are happy - but maybe not as vocal as you or I.

maybe i should have put a smiley at the end of the smartass knitted jersey comment

Not bold statements Steve, simple questions, what was the criteria for going along with Canterbury?

Take a wee look back Steve, when Canterbury were first announced as our new kit suppliers, whose was the one dissenting voice?

Fully agree with both mate Its stupid to suggest that funding wouldn't have been in place from CCC, but who would have thought that they would have hit the skids so quickly? As I have said, CCC's situation seems to differ from Diadora UK as in their case it was more of a case of when not if the shit hit the fan. Look at the size of some the clubs/unioins that will be affected by this in the UK; Leinster Rugby, SRU, Portsmouth FC, Wasps, Cardiff, Irish RU, Glasgow, PNE. As you said, surely some of these clubs/unions should be coming in for some flak if we are?

With the SFA, they should be getting stick from everbody for agreeing to renew the contract with Diadora Uk as they were in troube for ages.

Anybody with the ability to read a balance sheet and a credit report and take the correct data from each one would have given you a fairly poor report on Canterbury. The minute Canterbury SA went, it was obvious Eurrope would topple over next.

With the greatest of respect the clubs you mention, Rugby and Football, sell very few outwith their specific regions. For Canterbury to make a success of their foray into Football they needed a big club whose stuff sold nationwide, Man Utd, Liverpool or Newcastle in England and the Old Firm in Scotland. Lets be honest Portsmouth, Motherwell, and Preston aren't exactly top class world renowned sides with a bullish overseas market for replica tops are they?

With Diadora it was the SFA that kept them alive which puts them in a wee bit of a pickle as changing supplier would have closed the company down.

Take a wee look back Steve, when Canterbury were first announced as our new kit suppliers, whose was the one dissenting voice?

You were, but what you were dissenting about then and what you appear to be trying to take some credit for your scepticism now are two different things.

I remember posts and posts and posts of criticism about about the Canterbury kit designs/kit quality/logos but don't seem to remember too many that focused on the financial aspect of the deal.

If we can't get anymore strips........What about body paint?

C&A body paint for the fans you can change the number and name on your back to suit who is playing well then we could stop bitchin about about the band, the hoop or whatever. Christ we could even design our own strip maybe have a prize for the winner?

Only probs might be with the shorts, I'm not getting a sack n crack wax for anybody!

I really hope, and doubt what the Lip is saying. I just dont believe that John Boyle and his team could be so amatuerish when it comes to finance, as to not bother dotting the eyes and crossing the t's. This is the guy who has been running the financial side of the club at least, in the black for the last 5 years now. Regardless of credit checks, i would also doubt any decent company these days ever enters into any significant contracts without checking out the insurance policies and liabilities of their partners.

Sometimes these things happen and you get bitten on the arse. Did Nick Leeson check out before everything went tits up? Woolworths, almost General Motors etc etc.

For the record Lip, i thought your aversion to Canterburry was the type of kits they produce for the Scotland rugby team and the amount of kiwi's on it? I can't remember you raising questions as to the financial liabilities of the company.

How can their financial performance this time last year have any bearing on this current problem? The club would have known then about an imminent change of manufacturer and discussions would have started maybe that far back I'm sure. So they could have been doing okay a year ago and credit checks would come up fine, hit problems earlier this year by which time all contracts had been signed and hoped to get through a difficult period.

Basically I think we're at our usual on here, talking through wir erses :blink: