Paul Quinn

garethgardner

For all his faults, Butcher had no choice but to use the youth and I am confident we can do the same with the new manager.

Indeed correct.

But, remember whilst doing this we finished bottom of the league. If we try this route again, we won't have a Falkirk Stadium Fiasco to save us this time around.

We can't afford a season of giving these guys experience for us to be rewarded the following year.

I don't think it will affect us too much if we throw maybe one or at most two of them in at the deep end (in Reynolds style) and let the more experienced players help them out. But, the majority of our team next season can't be fresh youngsters, otherwise most of us know the consequences..

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure BBC has the Griffiths to Dundee deal as concluded.

Terms have been agreed but nothing signed as far as I'm aware. Medical tomorrow. Remember we snaffled Porter from under the nose of Dundee United? Go on, JB, you know it makes sense. Any other chairman wouldn't entertain you, but I get the feeling Massone would have no qualms about going back on his word to Dundee...

But, remember whilst doing this we finished bottom of the league. If we try this route again, we won't have a Falkirk Stadium Fiasco to save us this time around.

But if we are being forced to re-finance the club through a sale or two, due to the impact of losing TV money, we may very well have administration forced on a few other clubs to save us

Can only imagine P&B going into meltdown if that happened :whistling:

Hmmm, perhaps you would like to see Clarky walk out like McCormack??? Incase you hadn't noticed, we are a selling club and I would rather both he and/or Quinn moved for good money than have them walk away for derisory compo.

As for a replacement, well that's not my job to identify and scout talent, however perhaps we can get someone like Ports, it's up to the new manager. There have been better players come in before Clarky and better will arrive after him.

Laugh all you like, but you know it makes sense to cash in now, rather than have them walk away for very little, espeically in the current climate.

I wasn't laughing at cashing in on players with one year left on their contract. Not at all. I was laughing at your suggestions that the two players concerned can be so easily replaced.

Of course I notice that we are a selling club. We have very little capital. Hence my original point that who are we going to be able to buy that will come straight into the first team and make as much of an impact as Quinn and Clarkson have to our first team.

I was one of those who was glad we sold Porter in January because it was clear he would be leaving and for a club like us, the money was more important.

However, I'm not as naive to believe that simply selling any player close to the end of his contract is always best for the club. You're suggesting we can't afford to lose £500-800k. Fair enough. I'm suggesting we can't afford to lose David Clarkson.

Rate him or not, Clarkson has been an integral part of our team under McGhee. In my opinion, it's worth trying to keep him for another season, in the hope that we can make him sign a new contract. A new manager MIGHT be able to convince him to stay and build a team around him. I know it's unlikely, but in my opinion, in this case, I believe it's worth the gamble.

If we just sell every time someone waves a chequebook at us this summer, what kind of a team are we going to be able to put out next season?

The real issue here is why we're not tying down our most important players to contract extensions much quicker...

That's easy. The players' agents advise them against any long term commitment.

How very true Weeyin. The club can try to speak to agents but some simply make themselves unavailable or just don't want to know. The club always seems to come out of this badly in some fans' eyes' but it can be very difficult to get a player to sign an extension.

The BBC are reporting that Hearts are in for Quinn.

BBC

Surely he'd go for a move south before Hearts should we accept a bid? Wouldn't like to see any of Clarky, Quinn or Reynolds playing against us.

Thought this was an interesting statement from the article:

It is the economic downturn and the loss of television broadcasting funds following the collapse of Setanta that has led Motherwell to consider selling their top players.

Under Boyle we have tended to offload valuable players in the last year of their contracts. If we can't get them to sign extensions (whether they want to move on, or we simply can't afford the wage demands etc) it seems like good business to me.

This comment at the end of the BBC article now has me thinking about how active MFC have been in marketing these players. Has the interest in them been purely coincidental, or as others have suggested, part of a fire sale?

Don't get me wrong, I am ok with the fact that every player has a price, but had hoped that we would not need to resort to a fire sale - if that is indeed what is happening.

I think there will be quite a few fire-sales at other clubs before the season starts, to be honest. And at least we are in the enviable position of having players other teams are actually willing to pay money for - good luck Killie and St Mirren cos you could be fecked. Kudos to the Motherwell board for cashing in now and not hiding their head in the sand over this.

Paul Quinn will not be missed he is the most over-rated full backs in the SPL he had one decent season for us, he is never a patch on Martyn Corrigan. If we can get £250000 I'd be delighted.

Aye because Corrigan was great after his last injury which is why he's dropped down the leagues? Don't get me wrong, I highly rated Corrigan and have great respect for him but after his last serious injury he lost something. It just coincided with Quinn's rise. I think we'll miss Quinn as he's decent with the ball at his feet and solid defensively as well. Okay so he can't cross but he's got plenty else to offer.

Plenty of football people have a high opinion of Quinn so he must be doing something right.

Paul Quinn is a very good SPL player. Been a good servant to the club. Best of luck to him.

Your right about him being a very good SPL player but does he really have what it takes to be a very good Championship player?

Hope he does just as well if not better than McCormack but I just cant't see it.