Scottish Fitba

Bop

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

midweek games attract far less fans so there will be very little benefit gained. Ross v Livingston on a Wednesday wont attract many.

Don't get me wrong I am with the majority on here who are utterly baffled and disgusted with these proposals. I am merely reporting what I heard earlier on Real Radio :lol: .

That question was asked but he said the season would start in July. Obviously like the championship in England there will be more midweek games.

With the League Cup due to start the last weekend of July that would only add 2 Match Saturdays and/or 4 match days if there are more midweek games. Not to mention the Scottish League Challenge Cup - or is the Championship going to be excluded from that?

With the League Cup due to start the last weekend of July that would only add 2 Match Saturdays and/or 4 match days if there are more midweek games. Not to mention the Scottish League Challenge Cup - or is the Championship going to be excluded from that?

That question wasn't asked :lol: .

The sad truth is that Motherwell like most clubs are heavily reliant on TV income. Crowds are dwindling year by year and month on month and that is with the current set up.

The majority on here are season ticket holders or regular visitors to Fir Park, but there are some and many more supporters from other clubs who are not going to games and sure as hell would not go to Well v QOS in April in midweek with nothing to play for.

If everyone did vote for a 14 or 16 team league and the club received less TV revenue, it would be hoping all these fans that backed the idea would turn up. Be a bit of a shame when 2800 turn up in a couple of years and the club have less income from TV. Even less money than they have now god forbid.....

If I was in charge of Motherwell I would opt for a top 10 league if that meant more TV revenue and a fairer distribution of income in the SPL and SPL 2.

If I was in charge of Motherwell I would opt for a top 10 league if that meant more TV revenue and a fairer distribution of income in the SPL and SPL 2.

Where is this extra money coming from? Also there has been no mention of a fairer distribution within the SPL - in fact unless it has changed it is the status quo with the top two (read Old Firm) get a larger percentage than the other but instead of the other needing to share with 9 other clubs we'll be sharing with another 19. Would be shocked if Sky are upping their TV money to cover that to make it worthwhile to alienate the remaining fans...

The sad truth is that Motherwell like most clubs are heavily reliant on TV income. Crowds are dwindling year by year and month on month and that is with the current set up.

The majority on here are season ticket holders or regular visitors to Fir Park, but there are some and many more supporters from other clubs who are not going to games and sure as hell would not go to Well v QOS in April in midweek with nothing to play for.

If everyone did vote for a 14 or 16 team league and the club received less TV revenue, it would be hoping all these fans that backed the idea would turn up. Be a bit of a shame when 2800 turn up in a couple of years and the club have less income from TV. Even less money than they have now god forbid.....

Why do we need to opt for anything then?

The 10 team SPL will drive away far more fans than some people seem to think, I have absolutely no doubt about that.

But putting that aside, the vast majority of football fans do not want a 10 team SPL. I didn't think I would ever witness something so unanimous and something so wide-spread, including every Scottish club (including the Old Firm). If this goes ahead, the clubs might get a wee financial boost short-term, but long-term this will spell the end of Scottish football IMO. If our group of 7 or 8 stop going - which we've already decided we will (in fact, 2 or 3 already have started stopping going regularly) - and goes to watch junior football on a regular basis, where does that leave the generations of possible football fans resulting from our group years from now?

Going with a 10 team league is going to completely alienate most Scottish football fans and drive a huge wedge between the majority of supporters and their clubs, a large number of whom will find something better to do on a Saturday (and there are many, many things that fall into that category.

As I said earlier, if Motherwell vote for this then they should ditch the whole "community club" patter and pretending like the supporters matter.

If a 16 team league is going to cost clubs too much money, and a 10 team league is going to cost clubs lifetime supporters - then I can't fathom why the status quo isn't preferred (perhaps with a few modifications) regardless of how poor it is at the moment. There are far, far more problems with Scottish football in general than the number of teams in the league anyway.

Well that's it for me. I doubt I'll be at many if any SPL games at Fir Park for the forseeable future. I'll support 'Well in the cups and I'll still follow Scotland but in no way am I going to support the backward thinking, shitebag outfit that is the SPL.

The SPL is complete shite. Same teams 4 times a season, repetitive. The Old Firm get to hump everyone at home FOUR times, not competitive. There was a chance, a big chance at this juncture to seriously overhaul the SPL. The 12 team league while still having to play most teams 4 times at LEAST gave something to aim for in the top 6 and you only played the shite 3 times. Are they expecting crowd averages to go up now there are MORE Motherwell v St Mirrens than before but with less chance of catching the Old Firm?

Fucking game over. Well done SPL.

I'm game for that.

It's either a case of boycotting a one off game this season, or the vast majority of games in seasons to come.

Would only work if something could be arranged between supporters of all clubs. The difficulty then is that it will be difficult to get everyone to agree to the same weekend or date.

The argument over 10/12/14/16/18 teams should not be the focus here. We don't want a 10 team league because watching Motherwell v St Mirren 4 times (possibly 6) is a less than appealing prospect. It would be much more appealing however if Motherwell v St Mirren was actually a decent game of football with a healthy crowd and something to play for.

The argument for a 16 team league is that we would only need to watch the shite that is Motherwell v St Mirren twice. Then we could watch the shite that is Motherwell v (Accies, Dundee, Dunfermline, Falkirk etc). There would be variety in the shite that we watch. For me this is not a good argument for a 16 team league.

Make Motherwell v St Mirren appealing first then the rest falls into place. For me there are three things that could do that

1st (and by a million miles the most important) Create a league that is competitive. The only wy of doing that is to spread the money that is coming into the game much more evenly so that the Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen's and maybe on the odd occasion Motherwell's of the league can challenge the OF again.

2nd Reduce gate prices. An even distribution of wealth will help bring that about.

3rd A winter break.

The sooner we start looking at the SPL as being a marketable product rather than the OF being the marketable product the sooner we get out of this mess. We are being blinded by thi 10 team debate. The problem lies elsewhere.

Would only work if something could be arranged between supporters of all clubs. The difficulty then is that it will be difficult to get everyone to agree to the same weekend or date.

Well, if something could be arranged whereby a number of fans from every SPL club descended to Hampden wearing their club colours, that would send a strong message.

Looks like I will be the only fan supporting Motherwell in a 10 team league. Maybe I can get my own box.

Before this debate was ongoing it was quite apparent to anyone on this forum that many Motherwell fans are/were hacked off and dropping attendances would prove that point. Reading these posts it almost appears as if some are looking for an excuse to walk away from football and if the top 10 SPL is that - it would be a shame. Hopefully most will continue to support the club regardless of the size of the league.

The alternative is the clubs revenue keeps declining and as a result the product on the park deteriorates and what then happens - more fans stay away and so on and so forth. It is a vicious circle. In an ideal world all fans would be happy with a larger league and come back to Fir Park in their droves, but that is unlikely to happen and the club knows it and most fans too.

I have to admit I am totally against a ten team league but I cannot turn my back on the club I have supported for 32 years. I will be renewing my season ticket next season and the season after that and the season after that.(if I can afford it).

I want my son to be a Well fan (poor bugger).

I will be at the semi final. I am not going to let these fannies running our game push me away from supporting my team.

I guess this is what the SPL are hopeing for, that there are enough crazy idiots like me out there. That they can get away with this nonsense.

Really sorry to dissappoint them but there isn't.

The SPL think that getting more TV money will improve the standard. Wrong!

The most skillfull player I have seen in a Well shirt in the last twenty years was a young James McFadden. Not some Don Goodman, Ged Brannan or Shaun Teale.

The SPL want more money so they can afford to compete with the Championship for players.

Forget about it. We are a small country that cannot compete with the fan base the money men and the TV revenue. Ok we are a feeder club for the English. The English Leagues are amongst the richest in the world we will never compete.

UEFA have also got a lot to answer for in all of this. The champions league used to be a league for champions but now it is a league for the top teams in Engerland, Spain, Italian, and Germany. Spurs in the Champions league? They are not Champions of their country so they should not be in the champions league.

Sorry I could go on forever about what gets my goat about football but I will never change it. The only thing I can do is support the team my father brain washed me into supporting so that is what I am going to do and hopefully I will manage to brain wash my son as WELL. Keep supporting the WELL!

Well, if something could be arranged whereby a number of fans from every SPL club descended to Hampden wearing their club colours, that would send a strong message.

Well the date of the vote will be at least two weeks from today. That gives a fortnight to organise a protest at Hampden. I would go through decked out in C&A. I would stand shoulder to shouder with like-minded Hearts, Killie and even Eberdeen fans to show those in charge that we will be heard.

I'm sure something has been mentioned on P&B tbh...

I have to admit I am totally against a ten team league but I cannot turn my back on the club I have supported for 32 years. I will be renewing my season ticket next season and the season after that and the season after that.(if I can afford it).

I want my son to be a Well fan (poor bugger).

I will be at the semi final. I am not going to let these fannies running our game push me away from supporting my team.

I guess this is what the SPL are hopeing for, that there are enough crazy idiots like me out there. That they can get away with this nonsense.

Really sorry to dissappoint them but there isn't.

The SPL think that getting more TV money will improve the standard. Wrong!

The most skillfull player I have seen in a Well shirt in the last twenty years was a young James McFadden. Not some Don Goodman, Ged Brannan or Shaun Teale.

The SPL want more money so they can afford to compete with the Championship for players.

Forget about it. We are a small country that cannot compete with the fan base the money men and the TV revenue. Ok we are a feeder club for the English. The English Leagues are amongst the richest in the world we will never compete.

UEFA have also got a lot to answer for in all of this. The champions league used to be a league for champions but now it is a league for the top teams in Engerland, Spain, Italian, and Germany. Spurs in the Champions league? They are not Champions of their country so they should not be in the champions league.

Sorry I could go on forever about what gets my goat about football but I will never change it. The only thing I can do is support the team my father brain washed me into supporting so that is what I am going to do and hopefully I will manage to brain wash my son as WELL. Keep supporting the WELL!

Fair dooz, I appreciate the sentiment but remember, if Motherwell FC vote for this then they lose all credibility- you can't just blame the SPL/SFA if MFC are party to making this proposal reality.

The argument over 10/12/14/16/18 teams should not be the focus here. We don't want a 10 team league because watching Motherwell v St Mirren 4 times (possibly 6) is a less than appealing prospect. It would be much more appealing however if Motherwell v St Mirren was actually a decent game of football with a healthy crowd and something to play for.

The argument for a 16 team league is that we would only need to watch the shite that is Motherwell v St Mirren twice. Then we could watch the shite that is Motherwell v (Accies, Dundee, Dunfermline, Falkirk etc). There would be variety in the shite that we watch. For me this is not a good argument for a 16 team league.

Make Motherwell v St Mirren appealing first then the rest falls into place. For me there are three things that could do that

1st (and by a million miles the most important) Create a league that is competitive. The only wy of doing that is to spread the money that is coming into the game much more evenly so that the Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen's and maybe on the odd occasion Motherwell's of the league can challenge the OF again.

2nd Reduce gate prices. An even distribution of wealth will help bring that about.

3rd A winter break.

The sooner we start looking at the SPL as being a marketable product rather than the OF being the marketable product the sooner we get out of this mess. We are being blinded by thi 10 team debate. The problem lies elsewhere.

4th look at our pitches. They are a disgrace. Just watched the English highlights then watched the Scottish highlights. They are playing on bowling greens so they can actual stay on their feet and pass a ball. Our players fall on their arses every two seconds and couldn't pass water never mind a football.

Fair dooz, I appreciate the sentiment but remember, if Motherwell FC vote for this then they lose all credibility- you can't just blame the SPL/SFA if MFC are party to making this proposal reality.

Yes I know that. And it does not sit well with me. But I have to stick by my team.

Just the way I am.

The SPL ( that includeds all members ) have got a serious problem on their hands because there are not enough fans that won't walk away for this to work.

They are pushing fans away. No fans, No football. I have said it before but the Old Firm want Scottish Football to die so they can go to the English and say can we come and play in your play ground. Celtic are trying their best to get out now by saying they are getting cheated every week. They will go crying to UEFA soon. Just wait and see.

How do Motherwell lose all credibility? It is the responsibility of John Boyle, Derek Weir and Leanne Dempster to ensure their is a Motherwell FC around to support in years to come.

No-one on here knows the intricate details behind this proposal (and yes that includes me), but if suddenly there is a broad agreement by the majority of SPL clubs, there must be a fairly strong and reasoned case to back these proposals, ESPECIALLY as they know how many fans are agin the 10 team SPL. Despite what many fans state no club is out to alienate their fan base. I believe Doncaster has met with a number of fan groups and the upshot of these meetings is that he managed to persuade many of the merits behind this change. It would be good to see/read/hear what was said at these meetings.

Many seem to overlook the fact that we already play half the league 4 times a season in any case.

More meaningful games! With 10 teams in one league, virtually every game is important, where as in 1 14 team league, everyone sinmply has to concentrate on the Old Firm as usual, or does anyone think that Sky will show Dunfermline vs Ross County for example?

I know that some will say, teams will be even more scared, but I dont think they will. Teams have to play to win, with at least 1 team being relegated and 2 going into a Playoff.

I also like the idea of the pyramid system!

I can only assume you are either too young to remember the 10 team SPL or too old to remember clearly how driech, repetitive, uncompetitive and destructive it was. Playing teams 4 times exagerates the gap in quality between them. If you lose 1 and draw 1 against the OF in a 16 team league you get a 3pt gap. If you lose 3 and draw 1 in a 10 team league you get a 9pt difference. Therefore, you get what we had with the old 10 team SPL .... the OF miles away at the top, a bunch of teams in the middle whose places were more or less decided by November and 1 or 2 teams ensconced at the bottom by the end of August (often 1 pretty much certain of relegation by December). Contrary to the beliefs of those supporting the 10 team proposal, few are interested in attending relegation "battles" until the last day (though only if there is any hope of salvation) and nobody is interested in broadcasting them :nod: .

Too often the 10 team SPL was more of a progression than a competition which was why it had to be changed to make it more interesting. The current 12 team set up is not good but it is a definite improvement on what was in place before. There is clear movement up and down the division with several teams still with plenty to play for towards the end of the season. Not the Championship of course. The financial set up and still having to play the OF 4 times ensures that will never happen. If we want a simple and sustainably competitive top flight, with teams at least having the illusion of being able to compete for the Championship, it needs to be 16 with all the TV revenue distributed evenly between all 16 teams.

With an even distribution of TV cash only the OF lose out substantially while all the rest would barely notice it. Those who have bought the idea that a new 10/10(12 :doh: ) set up will somehow generate more cash for 20 (22 :doh: ) teams than the same pot does for 12 have a few very hard sums to explain. Especially as we are led to believe the top 10 will have more money :wacko: . It doesn't add up and I can only assume their figures are based on their own assumptions about what Sky/ESPN will pay for the dross a 10 team division will throw up. In other words, they are baring their arse to the fans views while holding out the begging bowl to the TV companies with no guarentees what-so-ever of any extra money from them. I think they will be disappointed but, by then, it will be too late and Scottish football will be as good as dead.

In short, I remember the old 10 team league and how sh*te it was; I don't buy the financial arguments for it as they appear to be assumptions rather than fact; too many teams backing the proposal appear to assume they will always be in the top 10 when history proves they will not; 16 teams with a top flight only Lge Cup consisting of 4x4 seeded groups playing each other twice and Summer football is the way forward.

Finally, if they go for this 10 team set-up, I wont be paying any cash to watch it. Stuff them and their TV money :doh: .

There are two main things wrong with our league Rangers and Celtic winning it all the time and only one team being relegated. Give Dunfermline, Falkirk, Dundee, Morton and other more of a chance to get back into the top league. If you get relegated you have a 10% chance of getting promoted. Promote 3 teams and all of a sudden you start the season with a 30% chance of promotion. You will have six or seven teams fighting for promotion for most of the season instead of two or three. Like wise if you had three teams being relegated I am damn sure teams from 7th down would be trying a lot harder to get points off of the old firm. Before changing to a ten team league I would give this a go first.