Scottish Fitba

Bop

....................... Now here is my take. If you take the pressure of mangers to avoid relegation (i.e bigger league) they try to play more attractive football (and therefore attractive to fans). Teams may have more chance to win the league.They are not afraid to paly younger players and therefore these guys get a chance to develop and then become more saleable hence bringing money into the clubs again. Clubs start to invest in youth development.

My way is a long term solution admittedly but is IMHO better than the short term option being promoted by SKY/OF/Doncaster which "might" increase revenues in the near term but when Sky get fed up of broadcasting crap 0-0 games at empty stadiums the games a bogey anyway.

Spot on Jim :whistling:

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have looked at the bigger picture and it does not work. We have tried the 10 team spl and it failed!!!! There was a reason for its failure - too many poor games where teams tried to avoid defeat and relegation. We buy/loan foreign/lower english league players on short term deals and money is pissed away out the club and spiral downwards continues.

Now here is my take. If you take the pressure of mangers to avoid relegation (i.e bigger league) they try to play more attractive football (and therefore attractive to fans). Teams may have more chance to win the league.They are not afraid to paly younger players and therefore these guys get a chance to develop and then become more saleable hence bringing money into the clubs again. Clubs start to invest in youth development.

My way is a long term solution admittedly but is IMHO better than the short term option being promoted by SKY/OF/Doncaster which "might" increase revenues in the near term but when Sky get fed up of broadcasting crap 0-0 games at empty stadiums the games a bogey anyway.

I would have taken half a page to make that point :blush: . I agree 100%. I would also add that a more open and competitive larger league, resulting in potentially bigger gates, may actually prove more attractive to Sky/ESPN. That's my "assumption" anyway .... which is just as valid as Doncaster's "assumption" that a 10 team league will convince them to part with more cash :whistling: .

You make some good points Shotts Well Fan.

But I disagree with this.

“We have tried the 10 team spl and it failed!!!! There was a reason for its failure - too many poor games where teams tried to avoid defeat and relegation.”

If anything, there are more negative tactics now than there was 10 years ago. 10 years ago I can never remember teams setting out like Billy Reid, Gus Mcpherson, Csabo Laszlo and even Craig Brown set their teams out now (the men behind ball / scared of losing brigade).

It’s easy to say teams will set out to play more attractive football because of less pressure, but what good is it having teams attempting to play attractive football when the players playing struggle to pass a ball 20 yards and have a touch like a goodwillie (see what I did there?). If a young player is good enough I believe they will get a chance, like they did 10 years ago, no matter what size of league we are playing in. More meaningless games would mean more young players will get a chance, but who wants to watch meaningless games?

The best way to improve football in this country is to properly invest in youth development and focussing on getting young players to become technically good. As soon as a boy becomes 11 years old we get them to start thinking about fitness and positioning by throwing them into an 11 a side game. Why do children need to think about fitness and positioning when they are this young? We should concentrate on technique and keep them in 7 a side games until their 15 years old then they can learn about fitness and positioning (similar to holland). Until the day we concentrate more on technique, to keep our game alive a 10 team league is the best way.

IMO ;)

If anything, there are more negative tactics now than there was 10 years ago. 10 years ago I can never remember teams setting out like Billy Reid, Gus Mcpherson, Csabo Laszlo and even Craig Brown set their teams out now (the men behind ball / scared of losing brigade).

Fuck me, did you never see Hearts and Aberdeen before the pass back rule? That one rule totally ruined Dave MacPherson's career! ;)

Fuck me, did you never see Hearts and Aberdeen before the pass back rule? That one rule totally ruined Dave MacPherson's career! ;)

Exactly!!!! Levien, MacPherson and Henry fucking Smith. ARGH!

Bert Paton's Dunfermline were no exception to fear footnall either. Ye'd never call that side 'silky'.

bogsideloyal- we are both agreed that youth development is way forward. However let me try to show an example how a small team league leads to short termism. Look at fuckface liar Brown at Aberdeen. Before he joined Miller/Mcghee were saying youth is the way ahead. What happens when they get into relegation trouble Brown reaches for the phone and gets David Macnamee, umpteen journey men from Leagues 1&2 and some foreign dickhead called Vudcovik(or something). What benefits does this bring except survival? Young players who were being hyped are now not even getting a game.This would have been worse were we in a 10 team league.

People should also remember we are a small country of less than 5 million people (most of which support 1 of the old firm), we aren’t big enough to sustain a 16/18/20 team top flight. Some people should also stop forever comparing our league to the English league; remember that they have 10x our population and crazy amounts of money to throw about (Wayne Bridge 90k a week!!) What we have had in Scottish football the last 10 – 12 years is as good as it’s ever going to get, people should accept this and stop living in a fantasy world where fans are going to come back in a 16/18/20 team league when we’re playing home to Ross County. One Word - Holland (and that's just one)

Haven’t average attendances increased in Scotland since the SPL was started? I read somewhere that they have, weather thats accurate or not, I don't know. Are you having a laugh? Motherwell's average attendance has fallen and I don't even need the stats to see that I can see with my own eyes at games.

How many times does it need to be said the only way forward is to kick the mould firm out the league. Let them have their own league where they just play each other & their scummy supporters knock the shit out each other while the rest of us have a league where 4 or 5 teams are playing to win the league & get into the champions league. A league where everyone can beat everyone else on a regular basis and crowds flocking back to watch an exciting league swelled by all the glory hunting mould firm fans that are bored with their 2 team league. Why do we continually bend over for the mould firm when they have stated on numerous occasions that the first chance they get they are gonna fuck off out the SPL.

Let us screw them before they screw us.

How many times does it need to be said the only way forward is to kick the mould firm out the league. Let them have their own league where they just play each other & their scummy supporters knock the shit out each other while the rest of us have a league where 4 or 5 teams are playing to win the league & get into the champions league. A league where everyone can beat everyone else on a regular basis and crowds flocking back to watch an exciting league swelled by all the glory hunting mould firm fans that are bored with their 2 team league. Why do we continually bend over for the mould firm when they have stated on numerous occasions that the first chance they get they are gonna fuck off out the SPL.

Let us screw them before they screw us.

Here Here!!

please tell me everyone heard Terry Butcher on the sportsound there?

what a legend! sticking it to the spl and the old scum about the league reconstruction

Its about time the managers come out and have a go!

if you get a chance to hear it you need to

Go on yersel' Tel.

I really do have a wee soft spot for Big Terry!

No messing from the big man!!

That is a fair point actually... What the feck would posess hamilton and st mirren et al to vote for a system where odds heavily favour them both being relegated and thumping their finances in the groin/going into admin/liquidation??!

Some sort of massive parachute payment is all I can think of that would persuade those teams to vote for this. Suicidal if they do surely?

That is a fair point actually... What the feck would posess hamilton and st mirren et al to vote for a system where odds heavily favour them both being relegated and thumping their finances in the groin/going into admin/liquidation??!

Some sort of massive parachute payment is all I can think of that would persuade those teams to vote for this. Suicidal if they do surely?

they both know they're going to get relegated at some point and they want the league below the spl to have decent funding.

they both know they're going to get relegated at some point and they want the league below the spl to have decent funding.

Ah. This is gonna have to be one shit hot TV deal we're gona get then, if it's to make the "Championship" or whatever well financed aswell as significantly increase the SPLs revenue.. Disny add up man.

netherton

1. scotland already has better per capita football attendance than holland. 1 in 373 people attend top level matches in scotland, in the netherlands it's 1 in 849.

2. we had decent crowds during the ten team 90s so it can't have been that bad.

1. Just using an example of a country of similar size who have a 10 team league. By the way how they figures are worked out is beyond me :blink: as there are fans from other countries attend football here. (ie the Irelands)

2. We did but I was actually responding to a point that says attendances were on the increase since the SPL started and how anyone can think such a thing is flabbergasting. Crowds are going down and any business with half a brain that witnesses such decline goes out and does a bit of market research. The thing is the wanks that be that run our clubs don't even need to spend money they just need to read the forums, the banners at the games and listen to the football phone ins. The rubbish thing is that they are actually listening to the fans but couldn't give two flying fucks. Well see now I couldn't give two flying fucks about them. Next year I have set myself a goal to get to as many grounds in Europe (including England) as possible.