2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

I'd argue that the difference in Aberdeen's "In's" column when compared to us is that they've recruited to fill the gaps in their team, as opposed to bringing in the best players they could, even if it left them overstocked.

For instance, I like Lasley, Carswell, Lawson and Vigurs, but do we really need 4 central midfielders, with zero real flexibility, when we lack wingers and forwards? Or, the frankly bizarre stockpiling of centre halves?

I really do support McCall, and I think that his recruits are all solid choices as individuals, but no thought seems to have been put into setting up a team.

Where is all this we will have a good cup run this year coming from? All it needs is to be draw away to Celtic & thats your cup run fucked. In fact drawn away to any of the top half of the league teams & you're struggling. Cup runs come down to luck of the draw & in recent years we have had no luck at all so not sure why so many people think this is our year to do well in the cups.

• Like 1

As much as I don't like loaning players from the same league, I kinda hope we are keeping an eye on Dylan McGeough.

He'd partially fill the void left by Law and Ojamma in terms of having the ability to carry the ball and beat players.

Should be playing against England tomorrow.

Nah, I'd rather not take a player on loan from the same league, too many reasons for it not to work out.

Player not allowed to play against parent club

Fans dont take to the player, eg Calum Elliott and Sillyname Sheridan because they are deemed to be gaining experience at us before going back to their parent Club

The fact that he would be coming from Celtic as well would just be a huge stick to beat him with if he didnt cut the mustard.

is mccall going to be at fir park this week or is he away with scotland?

Ha ha. I'm surprised it took you so long to pick up on that steelboy.

As a previous critic of his involvement with Scotland when he said after Sunday we had almost a full week to before prepare for Inverness I thought you'd be all over it.

You're slipping!

I'd argue that the difference in Aberdeen's "In's" column when compared to us is that they've recruited to fill the gaps in their team, as opposed to bringing in the best players they could, even if it left them overstocked.

For instance, I like Lasley, Carswell, Lawson and Vigurs, but do we really need 4 central midfielders, with zero real flexibility, when we lack wingers and forwards? Or, the frankly bizarre stockpiling of centre halves?

I really do support McCall, and I think that his recruits are all solid choices as individuals, but no thought seems to have been put into setting up a team.

Exactly this.

And you've deduced that after 4 competitive matches? :blink: Mental.

You've managed to wrench that spectacularly out of context.

To answer directly, no, it doesn't mean that. It does, however, mean that your general abilities, whether it be long passing, short passing, tackling, positional sense, or any other major part of being a professional footballer are not going to change going from club to club. Simply put, we have a large quantity of players who occupy the same role, by choice, ability, and lengthy training up to this point.

To expect them to change out of the role which you have to assume we have scouted them in, in the first place, seems daft to me. Small changes, aye, but you're not going to convert Vigurs into a convincing right midfielder, or Lawson into a support striker over the course of a season. They're both excellent players, but we're currently trying to shoehorn our best players onto a pitch, as opposed to basing decisions on team shape, and that's a direct result of acquiring too many players in certain places, and leaving other areas understocked, even with the knowledge that money is too tight to bring much more in.

I think the quality of player that's been brought in is too high for us to struggle particularly, but it doesn't mean that I don't believe that the wages, overall, have been used well in building a team, as opposed to a group of individuals.

• Like 1

To expect them to change out of the role which you have to assume we have scouted them in, in the first place, seems daft to me. Small changes, aye, but you're not going to convert Vigurs into a convincing right midfielder, or Lawson into a support striker over the course of a season. They're both excellent players, but we're currently trying to shoehorn our best players onto a pitch, as opposed to basing decisions on team shape, and that's a direct result of acquiring too many players in certain places, and leaving other areas understocked, even with the knowledge that money is too tight to bring much more in.

they're not really though are they?

they are not bad players who have played the vast majority of their football in the piss poor scottish first divsion without attracting much attention. lawson is 29 and has less top league appearances than carswell.

But its not 2 games is it? We've had 4 competetive games,6 or 7 friendlies and 6 weeks of training together,not to mention weeks/months of prep time. As has been said,we've brought in quality but its bordering on ridiculous that were still playing with no particular shape and players out of position

I'm starting to become vaguely convinced that we're going to wind up having Hateley back at Fir Park.

I'd take Hateley back no problem. Get him back, move Ramsden to centre back, punt Hutchinson for a nice fee and use some of the money to recruit a winger or two. Bish, bash, bosh. Nae bother.

• Like 2

Word is there is a trialist winger at the club this week.

Don't have any more info than that.

Anybody heard anything on this?

If true, with McCall not back until Thursday, wouldn't really give him much time to get a good look at him.

But its not 2 games is it? We've had 4 competetive games,6 or 7 friendlies and 6 weeks of training together,not to mention weeks/months of prep time. As has been said,we've brought in quality but its bordering on ridiculous that were still playing with no particular shape and players out of position

We beat hibs at Easter road. Did we do that with no shape?

Just calm the fuck down man. Yer like a screaming Japanese girl at a Pokemon orgy.

• Like 6

Motherwell should re-sign Stephen Hughes.

Our midfielders are very similar in style and position (apart from Vigurs) and on what I've seen so far this season's team appear to have zero creativity and are very one dimensional. If Hughes is being realistic in wanting to play football, he is likely to be cheap and within our reach.

I watched him play for the dons on Alba a few times early last season and most of their good stuff went through him.

I know when we had him before he went to the Dons that he couldn't get into our team, but being honest, our midfield now isn't what it was then..