2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

I've got a horrible feeling that with 6 months left on his contract, Utd will allow him to leave in January and that he is being touted by his agent to English championship teams. This could be the reason an extension hasn't been agreed yet - obviously hope I'm wrong.

I think he could definitely get a team in the championship or league 1 so wouldn't be surprised.

Presumably the Spurs player was Eric Dier. Which is actually a reasonable comparison as he's been notable as a defender who's been converted into a DM by Pochettino (and was in the same England u19 squad as Ripley) and has gone on to pick up senior caps.

There's been nothing confirmed by the club. All that's been said is that we were speaking to United about extending, he's said he'd like to stay until the end of the season. However when Ripley extended the club posted up formal interviews and ran a news story about it. There's been nothing like that re: Grimshaw. That said there's been nothing posted officially to say he's actually gone back, nor has there been re: Taylor either. The only word on the latter was an interview from McGhee saying that he'd been speaking to Reading and he expected him to go back as he couldn't get into the team.

Given Grimshaw's out of contract at the end of the season and McGhee seems keen on him I wonder if we might be looking into a pre-contract? That might explain the delay, especially given the apparent ease with which Ripley's deal went through (which was presumably straightforward as he'd contracted to Boro for the next 3 years).

Good post. Yes MMcG did name Eric Dier. Given that there's been no news at all about Liam Grimshaw I suspect you're on the money - negotiations are continuing.

I always quite liked Scobbie when he was first on the scene and at Falkirk. But given he is 28 in a couple of months I would be surprised if we sign him as he won't be sellable and isn't exactly in the same mould as Skippy, Pearo or McManus who have played at a higher level and bring a wide range of experience to the team at a relatively 'older' age.

We do need specific left back cover short term and replacement long term however as Chalmers is never fit and Hammell won't last forever.

With regard to our players moving to the old firm, it has never been good business. It hacks off our fans to see them go to a rival and then play against us and the f*ckers always seem to want our players on the cheap. Their fault for being the ****s that they are? Or our fault for accepting the scraps offered?

Not really hypocritical of us with regard to us picking up players from them as they are generally deemed sur plus to requirement and we are helping the player to resurrect a career ruined by the ugly sisters.

With regard to our players moving to the old firm, it has never been good business. It hacks off our fans to see them go to a rival and then play against us and the f*ckers always seem to want our players on the cheap. Their fault for being the ****s that they are? Or our fault for accepting the scraps offered?

Not really hypocritical of us with regard to us picking up players from them as they are generally deemed sur plus to requirement and we are helping the player to resurrect a career ruined by the ugly sisters.

In the 70/80s the Mauld Firm signed the majority of our promising players.......McLoy,Deans,Forsyth,McLair,Walker

Keith McRae to Man City and McAllister and ally Mauchlen to Leicester were the exceptions

As you say we have had some dross in return .......but a few good uns Watson,Heron,VD,Rusell,Cooper

While I do get the tribalism I don't get why the player gets abuse. Hopefully a move involves money for us and a step up for them (which can only be a bi-product of decent performances from us). Would you seriously wish ill-will to someone who has done a turn for us?

I don't think a footballer should be measured any differently for his professional career and earnings goals from your own. If you work for Coke and Pepsi come in and offer to double your wages (Busta ....) would you decline citing loyalty as a reason. Would your colleagues think you are an eejit, get teary or pat you on the back and wish you well?

The quicker people on here understand the vast majority of footballers are essentially mercenaries and get over it. A short career, often pursued at the expense of academic qualifications, they have to make hay while the sun is shining.

You trying to tell me any footballer who gets his first professional contract doesn't go to bed that night dreaming of scoring a winning goal in a Cup Final or winning a cap? I'm sure none dream or enthuse about playing in Dingwall on a cold Wednesday night in January. So if they are good enough why hold them back?

Of course some will cite Paul Slane, don't ignore the influence of a greedy agent or a parent eager to brag down at the Shamrock Arms that his son signed for the hoops, planning his hospitality visits and free tickets. When your average SOL ranters' highest footballing summit is scoring a deflected header from corner kick at Primary School, the thought of playing for Motherwell and avoiding the factory/worksite/office in any form is appealing.

Should that be thrust onto a guy from Darlington, Anstruther or Gateshead, who before signing had to googlemap us, wikipedia our history and thought we played in yellow and burgandy?

Of course a few break the mould and either lack of ambition, fear of the unknown, stay because they are well looked after, have an affinity or want an easy stress free life, remain/return to clubs (Las, Hammell, Faddy).

You ask that G&F as if you expect a sensible logical answer!

It's all part of the fun, the game, the pantomime that is football.

We love our club and devote way too much time and money to it than is probably healthy. We try to convince ourselves that our players share that same love and passion for our club (because some actually do) and will play all their days here and we'll all live happily ever after.

In many cases we've invested months or years nurturing their talent from their teens or rebuilding their shattered reputations by giving them a platform to show their talents. We've loved them as sons and kept a spare seat at the dinner table of a Sunday just in case they happen to be walking their dug 30 miles from home and fancy a bowl of homemade soup and a dod of steak pie.

And then you have the Old Firm. The evil Old Firm who want to have their cake and eat it, who want a competitive league but want to take all the other teams best players for buttons. The Old Firm who lure potential supporters away from Lanarkshire in their thousands every week helped in part by stealing the column inches and coverage on TV and radio that we feel we're entitled to.

And knowing this, all this, our player decides to join them. Them! The bastard!!

The fact they are going to be (arguably on occasion) playing alongside better players who can aid their development, up their profile, increase their chances of international recognition and set their families up for life by tripling or quadrapling their wages is frankly of no concern whatsoever. We've been scorned! They've turned their backs on us and should therefore be deserving of abuse until they see the error of their ways and return home seeking forgiveness as soon as is possible!

Obviously.....

• Like 1

I don't mind players leaving to go to the Old Firm if it represents a competitive step up. Nicky Law pursued extremely short term gains for shitting his talent and career up a wall in a piss poor league.

To be fair shitting up a wall is a talent in itself...

The lure of the filthy luchre is a path well trodden and it will always be so, I'm afraid

If you're looking for the Corinthian spirit then the Spiders is your best bet

Do not want Nicky Law anywhere near us again. Completely over rated footballer!! Hides way too often and is an absolute bottle merchant!! (Proven in his pathetic performance in our battering of them in the play off games)

You cant play in the lower leagues for 3 years and expect to be the same player, it's like a shirt in your drawer you've not worn for 3 years, when you put it on, it doesn't fit and has seen better days!!

• Like 1

I always quite liked Scobbie when he was first on the scene and at Falkirk. But given he is 28 in a couple of months I would be surprised if we sign him as he won't be sellable and isn't exactly in the same mould as Skippy, Pearo or McManus who have played at a higher level and bring a wide range of experience to the team at a relatively 'older' age.

We do need specific left back cover short term and replacement long term however as Chalmers is never fit and Hammell won't last forever.

Doesn't Scobbie mainly play in the centre these days, anyway?

"To be fair shitting up a wall is a talent in itself...

The lure of the filthy luchre is a path well trodden and it will always be so, I'm afraid

If you're looking for the Corinthian spirit then the Spiders is your best bet"

Wise (and funny) words, BWD.

Players are discarded ruthlessly by clubs whenever it suits them and you can hardly blame someone for taking the money and running in a precarious profession.

It's only hopeless romantics like ourselves who demand unswerving loyalty. Of course we would never leave a job for five times our salary. We have principles.

• Like 1