2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

And what lots of young players need to realise is that to earn more money in the long run it's often better to serve you time and learn your craft first and boost your earning potential. It's a bit like getting a degree or serving an apprenticeship. Hone the skills first and your career earnings will typically increase.

You think Ben Hall is better suited playing against Kris Boyd and co week in week out as opposed to moving to a Championship club with better facilities/coaches/quality of player to learn from/more money?

The whole 'stay at Motherwell and get first team experience it will serve you better in the long run' line is nonsense imo.

I might be wrong but sometimes sticks in my mind about us getting 50k per year for Erwin's 11 years at the club.

I do also think there was a later report that said the fee was a bit less than that as well though.

I might be wrong but sometimes sticks in my mind about us getting 50k per year for Erwin's 11 years at the club.

I do also think there was a later report that said the fee was a bit less than that as well though.

Section F - Pages 43 - 49 (clause F32) if you have the time or inclination. http://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__therulesofthespfl_1375800603.pdf

Here's the English League's charter (page 3 details classification for those interested): http://www.premierleague.com/content/dam/premierleague/site-content/News/publications/other/academy-players-parents-charter-2015-2016.pdf

he's heading to the south coast

people (fans) need to realise that this football malarkey is a job, these guys play football to earn money. and that is the exact same reason I go to my work. yes, we would all love players to show some loyalty to our team, but money talks and I don't have a problem with that. are we as a club showing loyalty to Hammell or Lasley for what they have given this club by offering them 40% less wages?

from whats been said on here, he wanted comparable terms with the likes of Kennedy and Laing, we never delivered on that. so he's decided to not sign a new deal and see what is out there - he's got a new team earning probably way more money and is still very much young enough to learn from better players at a bigger club

rumours were that Hutchy was on £4k per week - how can anyone turn their back on that kind of money - you cant

Yeah but there is short term gain against long term success. He was getting games and experience here. If he doesn't get that at which other club he goes to (probably one with more resources than us, and therefore bigger playing squads and better players) then he will go backwards.

There's thousands of former professional footballers out there with no club or playing part time or low level football because they disappeared out the picture.

he's heading to the south coast

people (fans) need to realise that this football malarkey is a job, these guys play football to earn money. and that is the exact same reason I go to my work. yes, we would all love players to show some loyalty to our team, but money talks and I don't have a problem with that. are we as a club showing loyalty to Hammell or Lasley for what they have given this club by offering them 40% less wages?

from whats been said on here, he wanted comparable terms with the likes of Kennedy and Laing, we never delivered on that. so he's decided to not sign a new deal and see what is out there - he's got a new team earning probably way more money and is still very much young enough to learn from better players at a bigger club

rumours were that Hutchy was on £4k per week - how can anyone turn their back on that kind of money - you cant

And you know this because.....?

I would largely agree with your point but what you also need to realise is that whilst the "we play for money" argument is a compelling one, it doesn't mean that you have to jump the very first time you get extra doh waved under your beak.

As you say, money is why we all go to work but I personally have turned down some (comparable to my present salary) very well paid jobs because they were not the right fit, be it for the work life balance, or narrowing of career options.

For me, this discussion surrounding Ben Hall has nothing to do with rose tinted fan spectacles. It's about a young boy making a large career decision within a hugely competitive and densely populated job market.

I remember Strachen when he was Celtic manager lamenting the sheer volume of young kids on mega wages at the bigger clubs who had never played for their first teams, were never likely to and yet monetarily, had never been so healthy. His point was that these lads careers were over before they knew it.

Money can be a tremendous motivator but can be terribly short termist if the wrong decisions are made.

If he's gone he's gone, no biggy really for Motherwell, I just hope the boy doesn't make the wrong decision.

You think Ben Hall is better suited playing against Kris Boyd and co week in week out as opposed to moving to a Championship club with better facilities/coaches/quality of player to learn from/more money?

The whole 'stay at Motherwell and get first team experience it will serve you better in the long run' line is nonsense imo.

At his age? Absolutely.

Same reason as guys like Cadden improved from their loans rather than playing non-competitive U20s.

Congrats to 'Flow

I was one of the fans who was worried/concerned when he got the General Managers job, but he has certainly proved me wrong over past two years with a lot of what he has done and the way he has went about his business.

This new gig is his reward, giving him a more prominent and influential role at the club than he already had.

Wish him all the best.

• Like 2

Spoke to my mate today who's a Burnley obsessive.....proper obsessive....to the point he takes his family on their annual holiday to Burnley's pre-season tour.

Anyway, he's told me they've signed some U21 Scottish Starlet from Motherwell on a 3 yr deal? (I wasn't aware we had one of those?)

I thought it must be Hall but there's nothing on the website but he said he's meant to be a midfielder? Cadden????

normally i'd say "aye did they?" but he knows his club inside out!!

anyone heard owt?

Spoke to my mate today who's a Burnley obsessive.....proper obsessive....to the point he takes his family on their annual holiday to Burnley's pre-season tour.

Anyway, he's told me they've signed some U21 Scottish Starlet from Motherwell on a 3 yr deal? (I wasn't aware we had one of those?)

I thought it must be Hall but there's nothing on the website but he said he's meant to be a midfielder? Cadden????

normally i'd say "aye did they?" but he knows his club inside out!!

anyone heard owt?

Robbie leitch apparently