Jump to content

Neilwell86

2021/2022 Rebuild

Recommended Posts

Aye Watt has had the same amount of clubs and scored less goals. And the clubs generally haven't been as good.

He moves around alot as he wants paid and it suits him, teams pay him cos he has something about him.

Bringing him in til the summer assuming he's  not on wild money wouldn't be an issue. If there's a better option out there brilliant but I don't know who that would be but I'm not a scout/manager.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone suggesting Lafferty as a viable option needs their head looked at...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just putting it out there but would it be worth getting Griffiths on loan if Dundee terminate agreement with sellik?, if GA can control him then in a front 3 could be great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Just putting it out there but would it be worth getting Griffiths on loan if Dundee terminate agreement with sellik?, if GA can control him then in a front 3 could be great

You're getting funnier

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Anyone suggesting Lafferty as a viable option needs their head looked at...

I wouldn't fancy him, but if we're bringing in a forward player with any experience, they're probably gonnae have a long list of clubs on their CV. The ones who don't move around much tend to be far more prolific/better all round players, and way out of our league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Yassin said:

You're getting funnier

Three words I have never heard anyone say to me!! Lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

I wouldn't fancy him, but if we're bringing in a forward player with any experience, they're probably gonnae have a long list of clubs on their CV. The ones who don't move around much tend to be far more prolific/better all round players, and way out of our league.

A 34 year old who scores 8 goals a season with questionable fitness levels and workrate? I know we won't have inexhaustible options but we should have better options than that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

A 34 year old who scores 8 goals a season with questionable fitness levels and workrate? I know we won't have inexhaustible options but we should have better options than that...

Aye, like I said, I wouldn't fancy him either, especially at that age. I know it wasn't yourself who mentioned the number of clubs he's had being a sure sign we shouldn't touch him, but most of the guys we have up front could give him a run for his money on that score, and it's likely any replacement will be the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2022 at 8:45 PM, Graham said:

Been following the topic for a while but not said anything until I had really gathered my thoughts on the subject. 

TW is off his head for several reasons. 

1. Why would you sign a contract with Utd before the transfer window is even open, would you not wait until close to the end to see what offers you can get?

2. Strange move altogether, Why sign a pre contact with Utd not knowing if Motherwell will let you go early when you are in line for a Scotland call up? Especially when there is a chance of a WC in the summer? He's not going to get picked for Scotland if he's not playing at club level and risking being sidelined for Motherwell seems odd. A Scotland call up or 2 could have added a few grand a week extra into his offers in the summer.

3. Why go to United anyway? They can't be offering that much more than us and there is no guarantee he's going going have the form for them that he's had with us. His stock could drop rapidly and with his previous record with other teams blowing more cold than hot, it's a big risk.

 

If it were upto me I would refuse all offers for him to go in Jan and stick him in the stand or out doing the public appearance duties. There is no way in hell he is going to put in a full effort to try get us Europe when the team he will be playing for next season is also in the hunt for it. Playing him is only going to cause unrest with the fans which can echo its way down the tunnel into the changing room. Get people on the park that are going to be here next year. Either bring in a new first pick striker or get CS upto speed. 

I said to my friend a while ago that cheering on Watt felt like something from the twilight zone. If you had told me that 3 or 4 years previous I would have laughed at you, but it happened, and honestly I have been both surprised and impressed by Watt in his time here. But that time is over and we should do everything we can to disrupt both a direct rival team and their player.

Good points.

Cant help but think TW is being badly advised and / or  isnt that savvy.

Seeing out the season with us, forcing his way into the Scotland Squad with possible future World Cup appearances has to be on his radar?

He would have significantly better offers at the end of the season if he had been patient.

Anyway, the horse has bolted. Time to shut the stable door and move on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Yes.

His history shows that. He may have talent but only when it suits him, we seem to be a good match for him. So I don't think it will work too well for him. Fair fucks to him. 

But his history also shows that he's never actually had the work ethic he has now, and he's never attained the kind of playing stats he has now either. 

Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't want him to carry over his performances to his time with United, with there's nothing to suggest that he won't. He seems to have matured, and with that maturity has come the realisation of what he needs to do in order to exploit his talent to the full.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, David said:

But his history also shows that he's never actually had the work ethic he has now, and he's never attained the kind of playing stats he has now either. 

Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't want him to carry over his performances to his time with United, with there's nothing to suggest that he won't. He seems to have matured, and with that maturity has come the realisation of what he needs to do in order to exploit his talent to the full.

I am not sure what you want me to say here. I believe we've got the best out of him.  I don't think he will manage to carry that over. 

If he does then fair play to him. If he doesn't then it's only good for us. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I am not sure what you want me to say here. I believe we've got the best out of him.  I don't think he will manage to carry that over. 

If he does then fair play to him. If he doesn't then it's only good for us. 

I'm not particularly looking for you to say anything, I'm just highlighting that it's not the case that Watt has performed like this before only to drop away. He's never shown this kind of form and willingness to work before. He basically existed on one goal against Barcelona for years. 

I certainly hope he falls away though, that's for sure. United are a competitor, and as much as I'm chuffed for him that he's landed a good financial deal I don't wish him any luck professionally, as it would likely be to our detriment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, David said:

I certainly hope he falls away though, that's for sure. United are a competitor, and as much as I'm chuffed for him that he's landed a good financial deal I don't wish him any luck professionally, as it would likely be to our detriment.

I hope he goes on to great things at his new club, but his new club always finish below us in the league and win less trophies than we do.

Win win.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I hope he goes on to great things at his new club, but his new club always finish below us in the league and win less trophies than we do.

Win win.

Yep. Seems like a nice guy. So as you say hope he does very well as long as Utd don’t. All seems pretty quiet regarding Watt at the moment. Maybe it’s pure and simple pre contract and so it’s done but remains to be seen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, weeyin said:

I hope he goes on to great things at his new club, but his new club always finish below us in the league and win less trophies than we do.

Win win.

I'm not actively wishing him bad luck, of course. Just not wishing him good luck. I'm happy for him as an individual, but once he leaves Fir Park for the last time I have scant regard for his professional accomplishments. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David said:

I'm not actively wishing him bad luck, of course. Just not wishing him good luck. I'm happy for him as an individual, but once he leaves Fir Park for the last time I have scant regard for his professional accomplishments. 

Likewise I don't give a flying fuck how ex players get on. They don't play for us so I'm totally disinterested. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Barry Maguire signs a new deal until 2024.

I’m pretty luke warm about him in truth but the club clearly rate him and as such I defer to there knowledge

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Likewise I don't give a flying fuck how ex players get on. They don't play for us so I'm totally disinterested. 

I look at it from a purely selfish point of view.

If players are struggling for whatever reason when they join us and we resurrect their careers,  it benefits the club when we are looking to recruit the next players.

If all we can point to are guys we bring in and then drop down a level or two, it's not a great advert for the club or our recruitment strategy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I look at it from a purely selfish point of view.

If players are struggling for whatever reason when they join us and we resurrect their careers,  it benefits the club when we are looking to recruit the next players.

If all we can point to are guys we bring in and then drop down a level or two, it's not a great advert for the club or our recruitment strategy.

-why would we point to players dropping down a level or two many go onto bigger clubs. If they go onto a bigger club after us we have done our job , if said player turns out to be pish with said bigger club that's not to our detriment that to the players detriment.  We facilitated their move to better things if they don't exploit that it won't reflect on us at all. Truth be told many who leave us to go onto bigger clubs are never heard of again. There are exceptions but its not the norm. So fort me there is no need to care or hope an ex player does well.  They are gone and thats the end of it for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think maguire will ever be a first team regular but he's improved a bit under alexander,he's a decent enough squad member,so keeping him on makes sense to a degree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

-why would we point to players dropping down a level or two many go onto bigger clubs. If they go onto a bigger club after us we have done our job , if said player turns out to be pish with said bigger club that's not to our detriment that to the players detriment.  We facilitated their move to better things if they don't exploit that it won't reflect on us at all. Truth be told many who leave us to go onto bigger clubs are never heard of again. There are exceptions but its not the norm. So fort me there is no need to care or hope an ex player does well.  They are gone and thats the end of it for me.

I think you've just agreed with me.

The only difference being you "don't give a flying fuck how ex players get on" - and I do hope the get on well because it means we have done our job and makes recruitment easier.

If players that move on consistently fail, then the bigger clubs will stop being interested and it will make it more difficult to point to successful examples when we recruit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I quite like following our players when they move on, providing it's outwith the SPFL.

 

Re Maguire, I see a big improvement in him under Alexander and I'm happy he's staying. He's much faster at doing things this season and I think he'll go on to do very well for us. When he first broke through I said he'd never make it, shows what I know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being linked with loan deal for  Liam Shaw from sellik,  think he is a left back 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×