Jump to content

Neilwell86

2021/2022 Rebuild

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Kmac said:

We still need another centre half and central midfielder as it stands - potentially another wide player too.

Probably the most concerned I can remember being going into the first match of the season. 

I have mixed feelings, we may struggle early on but I’m actually more optimistic with the route we appear to be going down now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Kmac said:

Nauseating 

Not nearly as nauseating as 'welcome to the mighty' 

Boak

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kmac said:

We still need another centre half and central midfielder as it stands - potentially another wide player too.

Probably the most concerned I can remember being going into the first match of the season. 

Genuinely? I've been way way way more worried than this before.

Last season I was a wee bit worried about the business we did even if it was early,  and we didn't win a league game until the middle of September. Prior to that the other one that jumps to mind is when I saw us lining up with Conor Sammon and Aaron Taylor Sinclair in the starting line up on opening day v Hibs.

I'm may be de-sensitised to overly worrying I think as we've not won an opening league game since 16/17! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kmac said:

We still need another centre half and central midfielder as it stands - potentially another wide player too.

Probably the most concerned I can remember being going into the first match of the season. 

I suspect you may be disappointed. We currently have five centre halfs on our books plus Devine. We have five centre midfielders plus Cornelius. If Devine and Cornelius aren't going to be considered as first team options at their current age, there was no point in re signing them. So six players in each position. You can quibble about the quality, but the numbers are there. For me, to bring in someone else, you need to free up a wage. 

Up front is slightly different, 3 centre forwards and 3 wingers (I'm including Lawless here). No youngsters breaking through. Maybe another body required there but please not another 'can play anywhere in the front three'. Give me a striker or a winger, not someone who can 'do a job in both positions...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I suspect you may be disappointed. We currently have five centre halfs on our books plus Devine. We have five centre midfielders plus Cornelius. If Devine and Cornelius aren't going to be considered as first team options at their current age, there was no point in re signing them. So six players in each position. You can quibble about the quality, but the numbers are there. For me, to bring in someone else, you need to free up a wage. 

Up front is slightly different, 3 centre forwards and 3 wingers (I'm including Lawless here). No youngsters breaking through. Maybe another body required there but please not another 'can play anywhere in the front three'. Give me a striker or a winger, not someone who can 'do a job in both positions...

On purely numbers alone I agree Greg, but its possible someone could be shipped out (just speculation on my part). Presumbaly you're counting McGinley and Lamie as left sided centre halves. However, what is the overall split of central defenders i.e. left or right sided?

In terms of midfielders its the mix or balance if you like, thats lacking. How many of those 6  players are creative?

GA has made various comments about bringing yet more players in - surely they won't all be strikers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for the first time in a while I believe we've made some pretty solid signings.  Players who when fit and ready will go straight into first pick.

We have 25 in a first team squad - we should have enough.

I don't believe we need a create midfielder -I'd be happy for players who can pass to one another and do simple things well.  We have Donnelly, O'Hara, Maguire,  Slatterly who can all do a decent job.   With Crawford, Grimmie, Parker all able to cover as/when we draft in extra players.  

Play 3 of them together with Watt in the hole and I reckon we'll be fine. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

for the first time in a while I believe we've made some pretty solid signings.  Players who when fit and ready will go straight into first pick.

We have 25 in a first team squad - we should have enough.

I don't believe we need a create midfielder -I'd be happy for players who can pass to one another and do simple things well.  We have Donnelly, O'Hara, Maguire,  Slatterly who can all do a decent job.   With Crawford, Grimmie, Parker all able to cover as/when we draft in extra players.  

Play 3 of them together with Watt in the hole and I reckon we'll be fine. 

 

 

Watt in the hole....been screaming out for that for long enough

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As things stand if cornelius isnt viewed as atleast fourth choice midfielder then it's best we get him out on loan,I would rather he played every week at a lower level than maybe find himself behind the likes of crawford,who should be moved on himself as he just isn't good enough.I would like to see us bring another midfielder in but that would surely only happen if we moved a couple on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, spudmfc said:

Watt in the hole....been screaming out for that for long enough

Some of watts best moments last season came when he was in a central position,his through ball for campbell's goal at kilmarnock and then a similar pass for roberts at easter road were both outstanding,he's wasted drifting out to the left,he's got a good footballing brain that can do damage if in the right areas,watt in behind woolery and van veen could be really interesting for us.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

I suspect you may be disappointed. We currently have five centre halfs on our books plus Devine. We have five centre midfielders plus Cornelius. If Devine and Cornelius aren't going to be considered as first team options at their current age, there was no point in re signing them. So six players in each position. You can quibble about the quality, but the numbers are there. For me, to bring in someone else, you need to free up a wage. 

Up front is slightly different, 3 centre forwards and 3 wingers (I'm including Lawless here). No youngsters breaking through. Maybe another body required there but please not another 'can play anywhere in the front three'. Give me a striker or a winger, not someone who can 'do a job in both positions...

Interesting take… a lot more to it than that. I’d wager the opposite was sold to those kids during their contract negotiations & the no point in resigning them doesn’t align with the club ideal and crucial development age of their 22nd birthdays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lack of O'Hara and Grimshaw in preseason could that indicate that we are trying to punt them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really? Grimshaw only just returned to light running after a long period of illness.

if I mention the other, there’s a few on here get all excited.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coatsy said:

Lack of O'Hara and Grimshaw in preseason could that indicate that we are trying to punt them

I thought O'Hara was forced to isolate due to Covid but was making up my own conclusion.  I rate him , felt he was better first season when he didn't have to swap position every week.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Stephen O’Donnell confirmed as club captain. :wallbash:

Why the banging of the head emoji? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's nobody that really stands out for me as our captain bit it makes sense to go with o'donnell,hopefully he thrives on the responsibility,good luck to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Why the banging of the head emoji? 

Because that’s how I feel hearing that news. O’Donnell is never a captain in a million years.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Because that’s how I feel hearing that news. O’Donnell is never a captain in a million years.

Most of the club captain responsibilities are off the park. Who does the shouting on the pitch is a different matter (see Liam Kelly, Tony Watt etc.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Because that’s how I feel hearing that news. O’Donnell is never a captain in a million years.

Ceremonial role and Alexamder has said as much previously in that he wants several leaders in the team. Given the captain is supposed to be the only player allowed to approach the ref, it might not be the worst idea in the world ro have a Scottish international doing it....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Because that’s how I feel hearing that news. O’Donnell is never a captain in a million years.

Why what are the requirements for being the club captain that you seem to think O'Donnell does not have ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Most of the club captain responsibilities are off the park. Who does the shouting on the pitch is a different matter (see Liam Kelly, Tony Watt etc.)

 

I would have had Kelly or Watt as captain ahead of O’Donnell that’s for sure. Be that just on the park rather than the ‘off the park’ matters, whatever they are, but I would have picked either one of them as leaders on the field before SO’D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Why what are the requirements for being the club captain that you seem to think O'Donnell does not have ?

Leadership on the field, that’s for starters and I think that is a key requirement for a club captain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Captaincy always seems like a really weird thing to get worked up about to me. Unless you're ITK or whatever about the internal dynamics and relationships at the club it's an entirely pointless discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×