2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

I reckon people just have so much affection for the guy, as do I but I'm going to get the tin hat on anyway...

There are 'stalwarts' of MFC that have served the club well but have completely and utterly reached their level and as such we will never win a trophy or do well in Europe while they are around. Guys like Hammell, Lasley and Craigan, great Motherwell players, good guys too by all accounts have been found out too often by better teams, Old Firm teams especially do not fear these guys - and we were best of the rest for a good while this season and finalists in our nation's top cup competition last season! These guys either have a mental block or lack of ability that will allow them to take Motherwell any further and have ran out of time to develop either.

Don't get me wrong they could continue to play for a Motherwell team that bounces around the middle of the SPL but in terms of actually winning anything or reaching a next level in Europe...

Don't disagree with any of this but the fact is the players mentioned aren't keeping us back, they are still among the best players at the club. Take those three players out the club and where would we be? Probably going out the cup a couple of rounds earlier and finishing lower down the league. I certainly don't think we'd see silverware flooding in.

To win things you need genuine talent, experience of winning things before and confidence/belief. We had that in 1991, even in 2002 but we don't have that now. There are no Davie Coopers or James McFaddens or even Craig Patersons, Iain Fergusons or Bobby Russells.

Currently the 'stalwarts' are the best we have.

• Like 2

Now I always bow to the greater footballing knowledge of the folk at the club.

But

One of the biggest faux pas of recent times might be offering Barrack Ojamma a short term contract.

I'd like to think that in trials and bounce games these guys will get a better measure of players than what appears to be happening.

We know we'll be losing a few in the summer and if Barrack isn't someone that could hang around for a wee while then I'm slightly fliummoxed

But

One of the biggest faux pas of recent times might be offering Barrack Ojamma a short term contract.

I'd like to think that in trials and bounce games these guys will get a better measure of players than what appears to be happening.

We know we'll be losing a few in the summer and if Barrack isn't someone that could hang around for a wee while then I'm slightly fliummoxed

I'm hoping it was to assess his fitness and how he would fit in with the team, given the difference he seems to make when he does come on we need to ensure a "proper" contract is shoved under his nose ASAP.

But

Kids played about half an hour, in total, no?

Aye, he's looked good, but I'd much rather give him six months than throw a year or two at him and then find out after half a dozen games that he just can't cut it.

Aye - I get that. But already seems to be first name in the frame to come on - ahead of guys who are already at the club.

What I'm getting at is that we don't seem to have the means these days to determine whether we have a player or not. Whether bounce games / training aren't giving an indication of whether he's comparable with who we have already

The risk with us is that - if we give him a stage and he's good he's then on anybody's radar - but we haven't got him on a deal then we lose a potentially good prospect.

Surely its nor outwith the business acumen of those at the club to get him on a short term contact with clauses that give us first option if he impresses but a guarantee that if someone comes in with a minimum valuation we let him go. Protects him and us.

Aye - I get that. But already seems to be first name in the frame to come on - ahead of guys who are already at the club.

What I'm getting at is that we don't seem to have the means these days to determine whether we have a player or not. Whether bounce games / training aren't giving an indication of whether he's comparable with who we have already

The risk with us is that - if we give him a stage and he's good he's then on anybody's radar - but we haven't got him on a deal then we lose a potentially good prospect.

It might be that it was Ojamma who wanted the short term deal. Player power and all that.

Aye I had feared that about Ojamaa too. I can see it now - just as we decide he looks the business, hearts, hibs, aberdeen etc etc do too!

And if we had offered him 2 or 3 years and he was a donkey, the "McCall Must Go" thread would be in meltdown.

It's a fine line which the club has managed reasonably well recently, but tying up even one salary to a non-contributor makes a huge impact when you have such a small squad.

And even if he was a free agent, he might still have only wanted a short term deal to see what develops over the summer.

Hope when he scores his first goal he doesn't give us a 'hand gesture' :rolleyes::whistling:

he did - he shot the fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he needs a few more 90mins under his belt so the club can assess him more - can he last the pace yet? whats his match fitness like? we dont want another "athletic" Forbes on a long term deal

money is tight - we cant speculate to accumulate, we need to make sure the player is right for this club and if that means we put ourselves at risk from the vultures, then its one we have to accept

He's an unattached player on trial at Motherwell. he's looking for any deal

Not quite true. He might want to keep his options open in the summer or he wants to see if he will settle in Scotland.

Also it might also be the case that Motherwell FC are not willing to take any sort of risk on a long term investment due to falling crowds and lack of money coming in from player sales.

I actually think Scottish Football will be full of loan deals and very short term contracts from now on.

Its the way our game is going.

Couldn't take Clarky on loan as others have said , but surely we would be able to sign him on a permanent deal .No ?

Nope. Only move available for Clarky (if he is leaving) is England as they do not class Emergency loans (those less than 93 days) as playing for second club as the "parent" club keeps the registration. As soon as it comes a foreign transfer though it comes into effect.

Although there have been times when FIFA have allowed these sort of transfers to go through.