The Well Society

stuwell

All,

I received an email that my MFC Subsciption ahs run out?!

I might be wrong, but was MFC not part of the whole Steelmen Membership?

You mean your MFC TV subscription? It only lasts for the first year, unfortunately… at least you received an email, it just stopped working for me!

TBH I thought this was a bit mean as well, would have hoped they could at least offer us some sort of discount after the first year, or give two years membership to those who paid in at the second tier. It's pretty much the only tangible perk overseas members got for our money, so now a year in we're not getting any at all.

You mean your MFC TV subscription? It only lasts for the first year, unfortunately… at least you received an email, it just stopped working for me!

TBH I thought this was a bit mean as well, would have hoped they could at least offer us some sort of discount after the first year, or give two years membership to those who paid in at the second tier. It's pretty much the only tangible perk overseas members got for our money, so now a year in we're not getting any at all.

Hardly watched it, too much hassle trying to log in, won't be missed. Are we not due a DVD though? :rolleyes:

Hardly watched it, too much hassle trying to log in, won't be missed. Are we not due a DVD though? :rolleyes:

Well that's OK then - let'stake it away from all members just because you can't use a computer!

Seriously though, I have found it to be a great resource as an overseas memmber and will be wanting to keep my subscription active. I did suggest to Alison at the outset that overseas Well Society folks should get a free sub every year seeing as we won't be able to use any of the other discounts/benefits etc. associated with the membership.

Seems to have fallen on deaf ears though.

........................................... . I did suggest to Alison at the outset that overseas Well Society folks should get a free sub every year seeing as we won't be able to use any of the other discounts/benefits etc. associated with the membership...............

Not just ex-pats, same applies for any exiles really. Still aint got a renewal confirmation. Followed the "Buy a Brick" link several weeks ago, and aint received any reply for that either :wallbash:

Aye, that would make sense. I doubt it would break the bank if they just offered it to all Well Society members.

Alison told me they can't do that because the £45/year subscription cost would pretty much use up people's entire annual renewal fee of £50 (for the Steel membership, which I'd guess is the most common one).

Which is fair enough if true, but poor show from the company who run MFC TV (Perform Group, IIRC) if they can't give a significant discount to the club for guaranteed volume subscriptions.

Alison told me they can't do that because the £45/year subscription cost would pretty much use up people's entire annual renewal fee of £50 (for the Steel membership, which I'd guess is the most common one).

Which is fair enough if true, but poor show from the company who run MFC TV (Perform Group, IIRC) if they can't give a significant discount to the club for guaranteed volume subscriptions.

OK - so as an ex-pat, here's what I don't get that locally based members do:

5% Discount on Season Ticket Prices

10% Discount on home match day hospitality

10% Discount on home league tickets

10% Discount on all Motherwell FC Events

Discount on community and family courses

A range of exclusive offers and discounts at the Motherwell store

Complimentary function room hire within the stadium

And I'm not holding my breath for the DVD.

I'm sure if I took advantage of just a fraction of the above it would easily add up to more than 50 quid, so by dint of being an ex-pat I'm saving the club plenty of money by not being able to access any of the above offers.

Given that the Society won't even let me join in any of the meetings via Internet Conferencing or Telephone Conference Call, they could throw me a bone with the MFC TV.

The Well Society have ofcourse had a page in the programme for much if not all of the season. Sometimes admittedly I glossed over it, since it appeared to be the same article given it was the same photograph used however, the page in the Ross County programme was clearly new so read it in full as the many achievements and progression of the WS was listed over the previous year. Impressive stuff.

But one of the achievements to date grabbed my attention a bit more than most.

Did I miss this? Was this actually announced? Perhaps it was in one of those programme articles I didn't properly read. But I thought it might have attracted more comment if it had been known to have happened.

I certainly remember the WS kitty effectively being there as a potential overdraft facility for the club, and am totally comfortable with that. I also remember plenty of debate about the "virtual" overdraft facility the WS could provide.

But that wee snippet tends to suggest a purchase has been made rather than a loan given and that money won't be returned.

Poses a few questions.

What sort of amount be would be required to purchase 6% or 150,000 'A' shares for example?

How much of a dent in the WS kitty has that made?

Are WS members now working towards a target of £1.5m + whatever the cost of that share purchase was for full ownership, or still just that original £1.5m?

Now I don't object to what's been done, I'm sure it would have been done with the best interests of the club at heart, but I think its quite a significant event and might have warranted more of an explanation rather than a wee snippet hidden away in the programme.

haven't read this thread for a while. i think this needs some explanation.

does this mean the society has less money than it did a few months ago? i'm reading this as instead of taking money from the society in the form of a loan to be repaid the club have exchanged shares for cash even although the shares were gifted for free by boyle.

Andy, I suspect that this is down to loose use of the word "purchased" or some legal mechanism ie for some reason shares have to be purchased (say for £1.00) rather than given away for nothing. If the shares were being purchased for a substantial sum then it would not be a loan at all. As I understand it the Society funds are ring fenced.

I'm sure there's a simple explanation.

a pound a share is more than one third of the money raised so far.

I think all that has happened is that the club has given the Society a number of the shares proportional to the cash raised so far.

So the Society now has a shareholding and the club has access to the ring-fenced funds to be used as defined by the Society rules.

No money has actually been "spent" a such.

I think all that has happened is that the club has given the Society a number of the shares proportional to the cash raised so far.

So the Society now has a shareholding and the club has access to the ring-fenced funds to be used as defined by the Society rules.

No money has actually been "spent" a such.

hopefully that is the case but the quote andy posted makes it sound like the society has paid the club for the shares.

Facilitating a cash injection to the club to alleviate a temporary cash flow shortfall by purchasing 150,000 'A' shares, representing 6% of its share ownership

hopefully that is the case but the quote andy posted makes it sound like the society has paid the club for the shares.

Right, but even if that is the case, all that means is that club has the money and the Society has the shares - which was the original intent.

The mechanism for creating that situation probably has financial regulation laws that means shares have to be purchased (although that is speculation on my part as I'm out of the loop for UK regulatory stuff these days).

From an end result perspective, however, I don't think it makes any difference if we give the club access to the money raised and they donate shares, or if we 'purchase'the shares with Society funds.

Right, but even if that is the case, all that means is that club has the money and the Society has the shares - which was the original intent.

The mechanism for creating that situation probably has financial regulation laws that means shares have to be purchased (although that is speculation on my part as I'm out of the loop for UK regulatory stuff these days).

From an end result perspective, however, I don't think it makes any difference if we give the club access to the money raised and they donate shares, or if we 'purchase'the shares with Society funds.

as i understand it the society needs to have funds of £1.5m before the controlling interest is handed over.

so if they have given over, for example, £100,000 in exchange for 6% that actually puts us further away from being able to take control of the club. it should be easy to clear this up and the board members should inform members if they are loaning the society's funds to the club on an interest free basis or if they are actually buying shares from the the club which would mean the goalposts have been shifted significantly.

shares can be transferred for free as well as sold in the uk.

a pound a share is more than one third of the money raised so far.

Sorry for the confusion...I meant £1.00 IN TOTAL. This kind of sum is not uncommon in business although I don't know the exact legalities of it.

As far as the MFC TV is concerned I understood from the outset that free subscription for only for 12 months. If free membership was to continue for 12 months or longer then the annual membership renewal would be more than swallowed up and I can quite understand the club's logic on that.

As far as the MFC TV is concerned I understood from the outset that free subscription for only for 12 months. If free membership was to continue for 12 months or longer then the annual membership renewal would be more than swallowed up and I can quite understand the club's logic on that.

The other discounts offered on season tickets, home match tickets, members open days, free function room hire etc. that I listed above would also swallow up the membership renewal if taken up.

I didn't sign up for the 'Well Society for the discount/benefit package, but if the club is intent on selling it to exiles and ex-pats (and trading on that fact in their publicity), it wouldn't hurt to offer *some* discount/benefit we could take advantage of.

But for exiles/ex-pats who don't have the ability to take up the other discount options, yet have committed money to the cause, surely structured levels of discounted MFC TV is not beyond provision. It keeps the Club in focus and has additional financial spin-offs like Shop purchases etc.,