2014-15 Ins And Outs

Toxteth O'Grady

If you can bring in maybe 3 players and your best player this season has been the current goalkeeper I'd say you probably wouldn't be looking to get a new goalkeeper as a priority - even if you aren't that happy with him.

Will be interesting to see if Cerny even starts matches at Hibs, they extended Mark Oxley's loan till the end of the season.

This pretty much sums it up for me. He's by no means the best, and while I'd have welcomed cerny, I'd rather see the wages spent elsewhere. IMO the centre backs have cost us much more goals this season than Dan has, and he has saved us from a few real bollockings at times (utd in the cup springs to mind).

Apart from Pearson all very uninspiring to say the least

Josh and Nicky Law were both under 25 when we signed them and at least one of them was good.

And Steve Hetherington and Nicky Devlin were other U-25s to add to that list.

I don't think we'll bring anyone else in but I believe if we can get Lasley and Hammell back, pick the right team and show the effort and endeavour we showed on Saturday in every game then we have a chance of staying up.

Incidentally, what's happening with Ojamaa? Have the club even hinted anywhere that they are trying or want to extend his loan?

A 32 year old centre half who last played for Alfreton Town? :thumbup:

Ojamaa, Anier, Twardzik, Kerr and Law are the only players we've signed under the age of 25 in the past 5 years.

You mean we've not signed, with no money, good players in their prime years?

I'm afraid finances dictate we need to catch good quality players either at the end or the beginning of their career so that's hardly a big surprise.

There will be the occasion find like Ojamaa or Anier but in reality those players are hard to find.

1422293838[/url]' post='430462']

Noticed earlier on twitter Mark O'Brien tagging a chap called Cliff Byrne who appears to be in Motherwell gear. Not sure if he's being linked with the club or here to assist the gaffer.

They are related. The ONLY player on trial this week too. Kicked Ainsworth all over the training ground so I wouldn't be surprised if he's now on the lengthy injury list...

As for Tomas Cerny - was never at the club, training or otherwise as rumoured to be.

Begs the question, this selling point of our erm, management was what? Surely not an extensive list of available players in lower leagues elsewhere and/or contacts who could make these players available.

Out his depth? Well, you wouldn't give money to a plumber who couldn't do his job would you?

Cerny was never mentioned officially by the club. The Dayton-Vigurs swap was (I think) mentioned by Scott Burns who rarely gets Motherwell stuff wrong so that story had a bit more credibility but again was never officially confirmed.

I'll not judge Baraclough in this transfer window until midnight next Monday. A 32yo centre half from Alfreton in on trial doesn't bode well given we already have extended O'Brien's loan but I won't worry unless we actually sign him.

I think, and I'm sure Baraclough and the club are aware of this, a lot of fans are going to judge Baraclough's appointment on how he does this transfer window and the team he can put out after it.

Big week...

Have to echo the thoughts of others that some of the names being mentioned are very uninspiring.

My major concern is we seem to be targeting english lower league journeymen rather than english lower league prospects. I know we need them to make an immediate impact, but our best results have been the younger guys such as Humphrey, Nicky Law, Coke, Randolph, etc and thats the way I'd like us to continue. We badly need some fresh energy in the squad.

Our only problem with signing the younger guys was the two year deals and then letting them run down...

I know we need them to make an immediate impact, but our best results have been the younger guys such as Humphrey, Nicky Law, Coke, Randolph, etc and thats the way I'd like us to continue. We badly need some fresh energy in the squad.

We would need money we don't have to sign this type of player again. This strategy is now a busted flush. You simply cannot conjure up bids out of nothing as no club was interested in paying a fee for them. In short they weren't perceived to be good enough to attract buyers. We did not let the contracts run down. Guys like Nicky Law signed on the understanding that they'd stay for 2 years and then move on. If we hadn't agreed that condition he would not have signed end of.

We have now to be more creative in our signing strategy as Melvin Bragg has said.

We would need money we don't have to sign this type of player again....

Don't see why we would need money to bring in this type of player. I suspect they were not earning astronomical amounts and came up to us as they weren't featuring for their teams downs south and wanted playing time/to put them in the shop window.

I'm amazed out of all the players we brought up we weren't able to sell at least one on rather than have their contract run down and leave for nothing.

Will agree that signing this type of player is much easier in the summer though.

My point was more that surely we have better options open to us than ageing journeymen.

I think, and I'm sure Baraclough and the club are aware of this, a lot of fans are going to judge Baraclough's appointment on how he does this transfer window and the team he can put out after it.

Big week...

I don't think you can judge a manager on the January transfer window. Most players are under contract or have been out the game for 6 months and who know what kind of budget is available at this time of year when clubs are in limbo between season ticket money running out and league money being paid out towards the end of the season.

Also remember players we are interested in might not necessarily be jumping for joy at the the chance to join a demoralized dressing room and team that gets absolutely humped every weekend.

I'm guessing, all things considered, that the last January transfer window would have been a lot easier to attract a good standard of player, if available, that this one.

This season is Stuart McCall's mess and the contracted players mess, not Baraclough's.

It's as if someone threw an anvil out the window and people are blaming Baraclough if he doesn't catch it before it hits the ground.

• Like 3

I think it's a bit harsh to criticize the manager for bringing older players in when it is probably just a bit of leadership he is bringing in until the end of the season. We have enough young players at the club doing nothing and at the minute we have to focus on the immediate future by signing any players the manager thinks can stop the team being relegated.

• Like 2

I think it's a bit harsh to criticize the manager for bringing older players in when it is probably just a bit of leadership he is bringing in until the end of the season. We have enough young players at the club doing nothing and at the minute we have to focus on the immediate future by signing any players the manager thinks can stop the team being relegated.

Agree if he can bring in an experienced defender that can organise the shambles of a defence we have had for most this season then I will be more than happy.

I don't think you can judge a manager on the January transfer window. Most players are under contract or have been out the game for 6 months and who know what kind of budget is available at this time of year when clubs are in limbo between season ticket money running out and league money being paid out towards the end of the season.

Also remember players we are interested in might not necessarily be jumping for joy at the the chance to join a demoralized dressing room and team that gets absolutely humped every weekend.

I'm guessing, all things considered, that the last January transfer window would have been a lot easier to attract a good standard of player, if available, that this one.

This season is Stuart McCall's mess and the contracted players mess, not Baraclough's.

It's as if someone threw an anvil out the window and people are blaming Baraclough if he doesn't catch it before it hits the ground.

Did I say it would be fair for him to be judged on this January window? It won't be fair but it's the facts. I appreciate that it's difficult to bring players in but other clubs seem to be managing to freshen up their squad. There are players available and having stated that he was going to bring in at least a couple of new faces, he now has to back that up with action. Performances haven't picked up consistently since his arrival and he's being judged on that. He has to work on the training field to get the best out of what he has, but results are suggestng that that isn't going to be enough. He will be judged on how the team does from now until the end of the season. That may depend on the squad he has available to him as of midnight next Monday...

Oh, and he applied for the job of catching the anvil...

Not criticising at all...

Just think signing stop gap players is continuing down the path that has arguably put us in our current predicament.

And by young, didn't me U21's - more 23-27 age range. Guys looking for platform to step up from U21 football that they haven't found down south as yet.

Not criticising at all...

Just think signing stop gap players is continuing down the path that has arguably put us in our current predicament.

And by young, didn't me U21's - more 23-27 age range. Guys looking for platform to step up from U21 football that they haven't found down south as yet.

What we need right now is experienced hard working players to focus on the task of keeping us in the league, so short term stop gap deals are fine, assuming they improve on what we have just now, which to be fair won't be too difficult given the pish we have seen so far. So When our premiership status has been secured then we can start to rebuild for the future.

For me there's perhaps too much of a focus from some on the age of any potential recruits. Just how many older experienced players does a side need?

You've got the likes of Hammell, Lasley, Ramsden, McManus and Pearson to name but a handful who are over thirty. All of those, perhaps excepting McManus have all fought battles against relegation in their time. Sutton went through it at St Mirren too. There should be ample experience in that squad to handle the current situation.

What's needed is ability and strength of character and that stands whether the next player that comes in is 17, 27 or 37.