2014-15 Ins And Outs

Toxteth O'Grady

What exactly were you wanting from him this early into his reign as manager? He's operating with the same players that McCall couldn't get fuck all out of, isn't he?

He deserves at least this window and the summer to put his own stamp on the side. Judge him after he's had some time to do his own thing, not a few months into the job.

Well just taking him at face value & how he impressed that he likes his teams to play a 'pressing game', we have seen little or no evidence of this... that's 'exactly what I was wanting from him this early into his reign as manager' as you put it.

Yes, he's operating with the same players (mind, it's not them that's up for discussion here, special ire is kept for them), but, given some of the team formations & tactical nous witnessed until now has baffled at best - I'd wager I'm not the only one who isn't so sure the base tools are there for an overhaul in his own stamp. The Summer? Potentially we could have taken a tumble by then. You engage a tradesman to undertake work on your behalf - you aren't going to throw what little monies you have at this person to carry on now are you? Same rules apply.

Well just taking him at face value & how he impressed that he likes his teams to play a 'pressing game', we have seen little or no evidence of this... that's 'exactly what I was wanting from him this early into his reign as manager' as you put it.

Yes, he's operating with the same players (mind, it's not them that's up for discussion here, special ire is kept for them), but, given some of the team formations & tactical nous witnessed until now has baffled at best - I'd wager I'm not the only one who isn't so sure the base tools are there for an overhaul in his own stamp. The Summer? Potentially we could have taken a tumble by then. You engage a tradesman to undertake work on your behalf - you aren't going to throw what little monies you have at this person to carry on now are you? Same rules apply.

It takes more than the time he's had for him to come in and basically change up the way we play the game I think, especially when I'm not all that sure he has the players to carry out the kind of football he wants to play at the moment either.

Come the summer we'll have a whole host of players out of contract, with a lot of them moving on. He'll then be given the time and freed up wages to bring in some players that he believes will deliver his style and will get the job done.

That's the point where I'll judge him.

There really isn't any alternative to that, is there? Unless we want to pay the money to release him from his contract and begin the whole process again? All the while we'll be dropping points and all over the place.

Left back wasn't the area that I'd have addressed first but a few on here wanted a pacy, powerful full back. Who's to say Straker isn't that player? I said on another thread that we tend to get hung up on a player's pedigree rather than what he can bring to the team. Prior to his injury last season, Ramsden was in the running for POTY. Ramsden, released by Bradford.

The potential arrival of Laing baffles me a bit. If we hadn't extended O'Brien's loan, then it would make more sense. Maybe a defender on the way out...

McManus I hope

You engage a tradesman to undertake work on your behalf - you aren't going to throw what little monies you have at this person to carry on now are you? Same rules apply.

Do they though? A tradesman generally deals with tools and other inanimate objects. A change of tac with a power drill or a quite word on the side with a bit of 2" x 4" won't get a reaction, however when you're dealing with people then there's a good chance you will. Therefore not a fair analogy.

• Like 2

I still maintain that a large portion of the blame for the number of goals we've conceded is the amount of possession we gift the opposition. Not as if we're getting beaten 3-0 by a team only creating three chances. Inability to retain the ball is bringing a lot of pressure on our defence, which I'll admit hasn't covered itself in glory on occasions...

An inability to close players down, put in tackles and shield the defence is possibly our biggest defensive weakness and thats down in large part to central midfield. Still in Ian Barraclough we trust.

We surely still need a striker to come in. Going to the end of the season with Sutton and two youngsters who have scored one goal each for us (and not recently) would be madness.

Barraclough doesn't have much of a CV and has been unconvincing since he arrived. If a win doesn't arrive soon him and Black should be sent packing before they do anymore damage. There seems to be two points of view on this either you think that being Motherwell manager is a privilege which should be earned or you think that whoever is appointed should be given every chance to be a success even if it is to the detriment of the club.

Why would I trust Barraclough? He has done nothing as a manager before coming to Fir Park, has overseen a terrible run of form since he arrived here and gives the impression he is bullshitting in all his youtube interviews. It's time for him to get us results or find more suitable employment.

• Like 1

We surely still need a striker to come in. Going to the end of the season with Sutton and two youngsters who have scored one goal each for us (and not recently) would be madness.

Barraclough doesn't have much of a CV and has been unconvincing since he arrived. If a win doesn't arrive soon him and Black should be sent packing before they do anymore damage. There seems to be two points of view on this either you think that being Motherwell manager is a privilege which should be earned or you think that whoever is appointed should be given every chance to be a success even if it is to the detriment of the club.

Why would I trust Barraclough? He has done nothing as a manager before coming to Fir Park, has overseen a terrible run of form since he arrived here and gives the impression he is bullshitting in all his youtube interviews. It's time for him to get us results or find more suitable employment.

Easier said than done though, I would think. It would more than likely cost us money to pay him off and we don't exactly have loads of that. Then work in a lead time to get someone in on a suitable wage and have time, and be good enough, to turn it round. Difficult decision to make if he does not get some good results.

Easier said than done though, I would think. It would more than likely cost us money to pay him off and we don't exactly have loads of that. Then work in a lead time to get someone in on a suitable wage and have time, and be good enough, to turn it round. Difficult decision to make if he does not get some good results.

Details of his contract haven't been revealed.

Hopefully that's because he has a contract that means he is easy to bin.

words fail me.the boys jst in the door he got pearo who is better than what we have the new boy hasent even got his number printed on his shirt yet but folk want the manager out!?

If we get beat on Saturday and beat at Ross County that's 7 in a row. Not many mangers survive that. He needs results asap.

Details of his contract haven't been revealed.

Hopefully that's because he has a contract that means he is easy to bin.

The lack of media interest in Motherwell these days is highlighted by the fact nobody knows the length of his contract. I very much doubt he'd be expensive to get rid of but even if we don't start getting results, I think he'll get full support of the club for the foreseeable given the role of the new regime in his appointment.

Back to transfers, central midfielder and a striker a must.

You might well be proved correct aboutBaraclough, I don't know but it always makes me smile when I read you picking holes in whoever the incumbent might be.

I just can't shake this mental images of this wee green eyed monster jealous as fuck as that somehow they are constantly overlooked when the time comes to appoint a Motherwell manager, red faced and absolutely beelin with frustration that nobody, but nobody shares your razor sharp insights on how easy a gig it should be.

• Like 5

Even Jose Mourinho would struggle to get anything from some of the imposters that have been wearing a Motherwell jersey this year.

To call for Baraclough's head so soon after taking over the shambles he inherited is just utter madness. As for rubbishing his Managerial CV, he has a much better record than McCall had when he took over....better than Brown's Club record as well...and until this year that didn't work out too badly.

Like everyone else on here, I don't know if he (or anyone else) can turn things round in time to save us from relegation. But, given the financial situation and the contracts locked in before he arrived, it will take time for him to get rid of the dross and field a team deserving of the shirt. The whole Club needs turning round from top to bottom. The proposed changes at Board level together with Baraclough's willingness to give youth a chance suggest that long journey has finally begun

You might well be proved correct aboutBaraclough, I don't know but it always makes me smile when I read you picking holes in whoever the incumbent might be.

I just can't shake this mental images of this wee green eyed monster jealous as fuck as that somehow they are constantly overlooked when the time comes to appoint a Motherwell manager, red faced and absolutely beelin with frustration that nobody, but nobody shares your razor sharp insights on how easy a gig it should be.

Barraclough is the first manager i've ever thought it was a mistake to appoint. I was actually very pro McCall until he started messing us about with his contract extension.

I don't think it should be an easy gig but for Barraclough there is nothing as far as i can see that suggests he is the right man for the job. I'm not the only person who feels he talks a game but has offered little else. Why do you think we should persevere with him regardless of results?

Sacking a manager after 6 or 7 defeats in a row isn't a controversial stance. Apart from Ross County and St Mirren none of the other 132 league teams in England and Scotland have lost 6 league matches in a row and Adams and Craig were relieved of their positions because of those runs.

• Like 1

I'm of the opinion that our situation is not Baraclough's fault, he inherited it and I think we should support him but we have lost 5 matches on the trot and have looked as bad, if not worse, than ever, so what if this current run continues and becomes, say, 10 losses on the trot and yet somehow we still have a chance of escaping relegation?

At that point do you back or ditch Baraclough?

Like I said I'm in favour of supporting Baraclough but that could change pretty quickly depending on results and performances.

What we need to do is to start picking up points soon because at the end of the day our loyalty should always be to the club and not to a manager and 10 defeats on the trot swould surely see any manager fired.

Our current run is putting Baraclough in a dangerous position, 5 losses in a row at present, and I think it's kind of an interesting (but hopefully hypothetical) question, when do people turn? 6 defeats in a row? 7 defeats? 8 defeats? 9 defeats? Do we stick with him no matter what?

Those sort of numbers are just a few games away now.

Hopefully we get something against St. Johnstone.

Barraclough is the first manager i've ever thought it was a mistake to appoint. I was actually very pro McCall until he started messing us about with his contract extension.

I don't think it should be an easy gig but for Barraclough there is nothing as far as i can see that suggests he is the right man for the job. I'm not the only person who feels he talks a game but has offered little else. Why do you think we should persevere with him regardless of results?

Sacking a manager after 6 or 7 defeats in a row isn't a controversial stance. Apart from Ross County and St Mirren none of the other 132 league teams in England and Scotland have lost 6 league matches in a row and Adams and Craig were relieved of their positions because of those runs.

Cop out it may appear, but I'm non-committal thus far on how much of a success or failure the manager has been.

I like the way he comes across in terms of a positive outlook, I like the sound of his ideas both in terms of how we will look to play and how he'll go for a more home grown ethos in the longer term.

Other than the more regular involvement of some younger players has he managed to get that vision across to the players on the park? As yet, clearly not.

Six successive losses might have cost Adams and Craig their job but then not so many newly installed managers to get pushed after little more than six weeks in charge.

It doesn't seem unreasonable to me that the more of his own players he brings in the greater the level of scrutiny of those signings and their impact on the team will be. I'm not so sure he's quite deserving of your attempts to crank up the pressure on him by suggesting his job will be on the line just yet though.

The immediate task at hand is to keep us up, no more, no less. Whether he does that by losing 5, 6, 7 or 8 games in a row it won't matter a jot, as long as we manage to stay up.

Will he get it right or wrong? Time will tell.