2014-15 Ins And Outs

Toxteth O'Grady

Curious as to why people think Boyd and Sutton wouldn't work up front? A lack of pace for sure, but both great finishers and likely to get 15+ goals a season each.

I agree, whilst there is an obvious pace issue it has never stopped both these strikers scoring for fun throughout their careers. In saying that my preference would be to sign a younger player with the view to selling him on for a profit.

I think the concern would be that with those two up front they might want to play in similar areas, get more in each others way. We might find a lack of movement means they don't get the chances they need to get the goals they are capable of.

Not saying that would definitely happen butjust sticking two good strikers up top doesn't automatically equate to both of them banging them in.

I'd prefer we signed someone who looks like a better foil for Sutton that someone in a similar mould.

Curious as to why people think Boyd and Sutton wouldn't work up front? A lack of pace for sure, but both great finishers and likely to get 15+ goals a season each.

Both likely to take up similar positions. Reckon they'd get in each other's way a lot. Both players who work the width of the penalty area. Really need someone to run the channels either side, dragging the centre backs out of position making it easier for your "number 9" to find space...

EDIT Malky beat me to the punch...

If you have Sutton and Boyd, who do you have to run the channels, get in behind defenders, create things, take men on?

IMO Boyd and Sutton need a foil which then allows them to play off the shoulder of the last defender. No foil means opposition defenders will have them in their back pockets every day of the week.

Anier wasn't exactly pacy though, but you're right. If we could find someone in the Ojamaa/Arnott mould, it would be ideal with someone like Sutton.

:nea: Eh? Given he didn't have the hunt or be hunted training of Humphrey, he wasn't a slouch by any matter of means. I'd give my right bollock to be as pacy as he was.

• Like 1

More for upsetting our competition next season and also because our midfield were often posted missing (I still can't fully understand based on the talent), I'd love to see:

Polish Kid

Ramsden Kerr McManus Hammell

Lasley Carswell Vigurs

Goodwillie

Sutton Boyd

With Ainsworth as an impact player. Obviously w'd have to operate a squad rotation to keep them all happy, but when you regularly compete in Europe its a necessary evil .............

Budget probably won't stretch but I reckon some of them could crowbar a way back into Scotland reckoning. I just want to go into the Europa with a hope of competing.

More for upsetting our competition next season and also because our midfield were often posted missing (I still can't fully understand based on the talent), I'd love to see:

Polish Kid

Ramsden Kerr McManus Hammell

Lasley Carswell Vigurs

Goodwillie

Sutton Boyd

With Ainsworth as an impact player. Obviously w'd have to operate a squad rotation to keep them all happy, but when you regularly compete in Europe its a necessary evil .............

Budget probably won't stretch but I reckon some of them could crowbar a way back into Scotland reckoning. I just want to go into the Europa with a hope of competing.

I'd be astonished if we could stretch to Goodwillie or Boyd, let alone both, in addition, neither of them have any resale value.

Ainsworth will be one of our top earners, so will be starting every week.

I'd be astonished if we could stretch to Goodwillie or Boyd, let alone both, in addition, neither of them have any resale value.

Not to mention Josh Law might be a bit pissed off.

Goodwillie - no re-sale value???

How old is he. I still got the impression he was no older than 25/26. Hardly over the hill for a footballer.

If he started banging them in again we could easily get some money back...

He has/had undoubted talent. Sure he may have lost it forever, but I tend to believe he would do well coming to Motherwell to help relaunch his career.

Goodwillie - no re-sale value???

How old is he. I still got the impression he was no older than 25/26. Hardly over the hill for a footballer.

If he started banging them in again we could easily get some money back...

He has/had undoubted talent. Sure he may have lost it forever, but I tend to believe he would do well coming to Motherwell to help relaunch his career.

I wouldn't say so, no. He had his move south to a higher level, did nothing, was at a lower level following relegation, and loaned out further down the table and doesn't appear to have set the heather alight at any stage. If he's coming back to us he'd see out his contract and no more.

:popcorn:

i know mccall is a law family friend but i doubt even he would have guaranteed josh law a starting place.

If I had said that, you would have had a fair point. But I didn't, so as usual you are fighting a straw man.

However, I would imagine if, in the hypothetical being discussed, McCall brought in Goodwillie and Boyd after Law, Josh Law would be pissed off.