Motherwell V St Johnstone 31/01/15

Yabba's Turd

Unfortunately the referees are bound by the regulations and they have to give a red card if they're giving a foul against the last man and I don't think common sense is allowed to come in to it. There's something wrong with the rules when you can be sent off for something that is completely unintentional.

Do you think Van Dyke or McCulloch would've been sent off for the same foul today? No chance!

Last season Sutton scored 22 of 64 league goals so roughly one third. This season he has scored 7 out of 16 which is almost half. GIven how few chances our midfield is creating and our lack of possesion i'd say Sutton is probably playing exactly as he was last season but is getting less service and opportunities.

He is obviously isn't the most mobile but he is one of the few in our squad who can go for 90 minutes without too much drop off and Barraclough seems to have realised this by leaving him on for the 90 yesterday and dropping him back into midfield for the last 10 minutes or so.

Since he came back he has been started all but 3 games, one of those was when he was left out the Russia trip, the other two he was benched to give Faddy a run out in easier matches. GIven that near enough everyone else in the squad seems to have picked up a serious injury in that period he deserves a great deal of credit for always being available.

Hopefully he can strike up a decent partnership with Erwin and they both start scoring regularly when we have a functioning midfield.

• Like 1

Last season Sutton scored 22 of 64 league goals so roughly one third. This season he has scored 7 out of 16 which is almost half. GIven how few chances our midfield is creating and our lack of possesion i'd say Sutton is probably playing exactly as he was last season but is getting less service and opportunities.

He is obviously isn't the most mobile but he is one of the few in our squad who can go for 90 minutes without too much drop off and Barraclough seems to have realised this by leaving him on for the 90 yesterday and dropping him back into midfield for the last 10 minutes or so.

Since he came back he has been started all but 3 games, one of those was when he was left out the Russia trip, the other two he was benched to give Faddy a run out in easier matches. GIven that near enough everyone else in the squad seems to have picked up a serious injury in that period he deserves a great deal of credit for always being available.

Hopefully he can strike up a decent partnership with Erwin and they both start scoring regularly when we have a functioning midfield.

I'm sure Moore will be ahead of Erwin given a few weeks to regain fitness

The total game was set up poorly, the starting line up had 2 attacking players on the park. No shape, balance, or attacking thought.

Finished the game with 4 attacking players on the park, looked like we wanted to win the game.

I think this is the major problem with the team this year.

Also, please watch the highlights and keep an eye on Moore and Thomas' reaction when we score. This is what we need, keen determined direct players who are desperate to do well. I do understand that this wont always work, however, the set up we have at the moment, older out of position defensive players, isn't working to well either

The total game was set up poorly, the starting line up had 2 attacking players on the park. No shape, balance, or attacking thought.

Finished the game with 4 attacking players on the park, looked like we wanted to win the game.

Maybe Barraclough wanted to keep it tight and then gradually introduce more attacking players as the game went on.

He seemed very unhappy about the goal we lost as if players hadn't done specific things he'd asked them, but as poor as we were if you think about it St. Johnstone didn't really trouble our goalkeeper too much over the match. So in that sense it 'worked'. It seems pretty obvious that keeping us competitive means not conceding goals because when we concede the heads go down.

And while a lot of us want the likes of Moore or Thomas to start games I do think there is logic in holding these players back. If we start with them and it's a poor performance and we aren't in the game what do we do then? There is not a lot on the bench that has a proven ability to turn the match around. If, on the other hand, we are poor and not performing well, at least we have these guys who can come on and make an impact on the match.

The kid was saying "oh, we are going to get thrashed again" and I said "As long as it's 1-0 we have a chance" and that's the truth. What we need to do is really stay competitive in matches for as long as possible and any points we can dig out will be absolutely crucial, otherwise these familiar scoreslines 1-3, 0-4, 1-4, 0-5 will keep coming round.

Only strolled back to page 9 comments and beyond on this thread and whilst I absolutely agree the Lang sending off was merited, even if it wasn't the most intentional foul he clears out something streaking through on goal, but not seen a lot of mention about the goal as I also reckon he is completely at fault for it.

He goes out to contest a header which he wins but having left a massive space for the St.Johnstone player to run into he stands about staring for a few seconds rather than try to get back into position. If he'd immediately looked to get back where he should have been he'd have been in a position to make a challenge.

A very unimpressive debut, lets hope for better once he has settled in and maybe got some match sharpness back.

Id say the goal comes from Reids flaw,

tendency to be miles out of position leaving others stretched

Need to watch again to see where Reid is and what he does or doesn't do but for me once Laing took himself out of position and won the header his immediate priority was to get back into position.

Potentially one of the worst first halfs of football I've ever seen from Motherwell...the starting line-up was a joke in my opinion. I know we have a hellish injury list, but we set up so defensively it was unreal.

On the evidence of that 90mins, Straker is never a left-midfielder in a million years, he was Angol-esque in his cluelessness on where he was meant to be and what he was meant to be doing....he was on the verges of being named in my Worst Motherwell XI ever. After he moved to left-back he looked a lot more assured, more comfortable and more influential, and had a better time there than Watt was having. Hopefully we see Straker at left-back in our next match with Thomas in front of him.

I'm not a massive Fraser Kerr fan by any stretch of the imagination, bu I gave him the MOTM, as he looked pretty solid at centre-half as opposed to right-back or right-wing!! Theres also a bit of dig about him, and maybe he has been harshly judged playing in positions that he isnt comfortable in.

It says it all, that we picked up a bit when Thomas and Moore came on, purely because of their desire to get on the ball and actually attack the opposition. Thomas in particular, was demanding the ball, even in the centre of the park and in his own half too, I know he's left-footed and he'll automatically be stuck out wide, but saturdays cameo made me think that he could potentially do a job in the middle of the park too.

Potentially one of the worst first halfs of football I've ever seen from Motherwell...the starting line-up was a joke in my opinion. I know we have a hellish injury list, but we set up so defensively it was unreal.

On the evidence of that 90mins, Straker is never a left-midfielder in a million years, he was Angol-esque in his cluelessness on where he was meant to be and what he was meant to be doing....he was on the verges of being named in my Worst Motherwell XI ever. After he moved to left-back he looked a lot more assured, more comfortable and more influential, and had a better time there than Watt was having. Hopefully we see Straker at left-back in our next match with Thomas in front of him.

I'm not a massive Fraser Kerr fan by any stretch of the imagination, bu I gave him the MOTM, as he looked pretty solid at centre-half as opposed to right-back or right-wing!! Theres also a bit of dig about him, and maybe he has been harshly judged playing in positions that he isnt comfortable in.

It says it all, that we picked up a bit when Thomas and Moore came on, purely because of their desire to get on the ball and actually attack the opposition. Thomas in particular, was demanding the ball, even in the centre of the park and in his own half too, I know he's left-footed and he'll automatically be stuck out wide, but saturdays cameo made me think that he could potentially do a job in the middle of the park too.

Don't see much I can argue with in this post...