Motherwell V St Johnstone 31/01/15

Yabba's Turd

I was wondering that as well. Its definitely not Black though. New member of the coaching set up getting bedded in before a clear out of the old guard at the end of the season?

Also noticed in Les' interview he mentioned we have a new chief scout, any word on who that is?

Just watched the highlights, some thoughts:

Sending off could have went either way , defender tried to use his body, forward has probably done what most would have done and went down

The St j goal, who was meant to be tracking Davidsons run, he must have thought it was christmas, the time he had.He has made his name running from midfield to get on end of things

We don't get enough people in the box for attacks, it's just big Sutty , no midfield following up

• Like 1

Looking at the pics from yesterday's game on the club twitter. Who's that standing next to Baraclough? Thought it was Kenny Black but not so sure now...

Noticed that too. Looks like we have a couple of new recruits to the football staff. Announcements pending I guess.

As for McManus, he's been out a couple of times due to 'personal reasons' but I thought the official line for yesterday was that he picked up an injury at Tannadice.

Just watched the highlights, some thoughts:

Sending off could have went either way , defender tried to use his body, forward has probably done what most would have done and went down

The St j goal, who was meant to be tracking Davidsons run, he must have thought it was christmas, the time he had.He has made his name running from midfield to get on end of things

We don't get enough people in the box for attacks, it's just big Sutty , no midfield following up

A reasonably fair assessment. My initial thought too on the goal was who was tracking Davidson? The number of goals we lose from this type of situation!! I'm not saying our defence is blameless but you have to feel sorry for them when an opponent is allowed to run at them uninterrupted through our central midfield. Likewise, you're right, offensively we have no-one in central midfield who get get up and support our strikers - Pearson being a possible exception. Strengthening our central midfield must be a priority in my view. None of the current squad (Carswell, Lasley, Leitch, Vigurs) are capable of fulfilling either role. That surely is Stuart McCall's most significant error in team building last summer.

Watch young Dom Thomas after he wriggles past 3 player and sets up Sutton.

Love the way the youngster "takes the shot" with big John as he swipes his left boot through fresh air.

When the ball hits the net he throws both arms in the air as if it was him that scored!

Ross County is a massive game for us in 2 weeks time.

That fortnight will be a great help for Baraclough allowing him to get his stamp on the team and get our fitness and injury list improved.

I'm quietly optimistic about the future actually.

Throw in a few new faces and we'll push on.

A side note more than anything but Stuart McCall was at the game yesterday. Chatting to Derek Weir on the way out from where the directors sit. Absolutely not implying anything but just thought it interesting and he must still be on very good terms or there to see JB off.

Also noticed Gary Teale in the stands sporting some well dodgy desert boots.

Having seen the highlights I don't have any problems with the red card.

Don't think Laing brought him down deliberately but at the end of the day the attacking player should have the advantage and whether it was accidental or not, if an attacker is clean through and brought down that's a red card for me.

If it had happened up the other end don't think there would have been much debate among Motherwell supporters!

On a separate issue I see John Sutton is now only 3 goals away from beating Stevie Kirk's 63 Premier League goals total.

A hat trick up at Ross County would be a good way to do it!

Well done on getting back into this game. But, the starting team selection and tactics were guff!4 right backs all over the pitch and a suicidal diamond formation in midfield, with Cardswell as the forward player in the diamond! That was horrendous! The young lad getting sent off probably saved us a point as the game was bypassing us badly and I think we would have persevered with this tactic, losing more goals.Let's make things a bit more difficult for teams and make the midfield more robust.

However, well done for the fighting spirit of the team. Kerr played really well in central defence after coming on - this is his best position and Thomas and Moore changed our attacking options when they were introduced. It was noticeable how more influential Erwin became with these lads around him!

The young lads need to start against ross county. Ditch the formation tinkering and set up difficult to beat with some guile from Thomas and the young guns........and finally stop playing defenders in midfield, guess what, it doesn't work.

Watch young Dom Thomas after he wriggles past 3 player and sets up Sutton.

Love the way the youngster "takes the shot" with big John as he swipes his left boot through fresh air.

When the ball hits the net he throws both arms in the air as if it was him that scored!

Noticed that at the game, I'm starting to really like this boy in a way not seen since Faddy.

A side note more than anything but Stuart McCall was at the game yesterday. Chatting to Derek Weir on the way out from where the directors sit. Absolutely not implying anything but just thought it interesting and he must still be on very good terms or there to see JB off.

By all accounts McCall is still on good terms with all at the club - players and board members. Not really surprising given the way we are in. Ex players and managers speak highly of the "family".

Young Thomas is a shining light ..my only concern is that he is a bit lightweight...but that can be addressed

hes a bit lightweight but he makes up for it with a big heart and you can see he really trys like feck ( as you can see by him kicking an imaginary ball as Sutton scores ) another 10 with the same determination and attitude will do me fine :cheers:

Unfortunately the referees are bound by the regulations and they have to give a red card if they're giving a foul against the last man and I don't think common sense is allowed to come in to it. There's something wrong with the rules when you can be sent off for something that is completely unintentional.