Hearts V Motherwell Wed 12 Aug 19:45

Yabba's Turd

The season has barely started but we really need at least 3 points from the next two matches or we could be sitting on 3 points from 15, will probably be bottom or close to bottom of the league and then we are going into the so called 'easier' games on a downer with early season confidence on the wain.

I think Aberdeen have opened up a bit of a gap between themselves and the rest of the teams outside Celtic so it's going to be a tough match but we need step up our performance.

Think in many eyes we have 3 points more than expected when the fixtures were announced. We need to be patient and level headed.

Aye, we have new players to bed in plus a tough start to the season. Way too soon to start hitting the panic button - although no doubt we'll see plenty of that on here in the next few weeks.

I would have been delighted with 6pts from the first 4 games, but won't be starting to make any kind of judgement until the first round of fixtures has been completed. Forget last season when we had to pull in all those players just for numbers. We are rebuilding this season and anything around mid-table will be a success.

Still wouldn't have started Taylor tonight, though.

• Like 1

Think in many eyes we have 3 points more than expected when the fixtures were announced. We need to be patient and level headed.

Absolutely. If we get beaten, as I expect us to on Saturday, we'll have 3 points more than I anticipated before the season kicked off. No need to panic. Our season starts in earnest a week on Saturday at Perth. A 1-0 or 2-0 defeat tonight was always very likely. Main thing tonight was to avoid red cards or injuries. Being realistic, tonight was always going to be about damage limitation.

• Like 1

It's the manner of the defeat that rankles. We saw it all too often last season.

I can accept what happened on Saturday. We created chances, didn't take them, and suffered the consequences. Fair enough.

Tonight we looked one dimensional, disinterested, and didn't create. It may have been an off night, but I won't find that sort of performance acceptable.

I'm not pushing the panic button, and if we put in one bad show in three, we'll probably be okay, but we're better than that, and that's what I'm pissed off about.

• Like 3

We were handed a tough start to the season. i think once we get past the Aberdeen game, we hopefully have a run of games against teams that won't punish our mistakes. Dare I say it, weaker opposition, and give the players a chance to gel together and get a decent run going and amass a few points..................... One can only hope :fan:

Absolutely. If we get beaten, as I expect us to on Saturday, we'll have 3 points more than I anticipated before the season kicked off. No need to panic. Our season starts in earnest a week on Saturday at Perth. A 1-0 or 2-0 defeat tonight was always very likely. Main thing tonight was to avoid red cards or injuries. Being realistic, tonight was always going to be about damage limitation.

No offence Dave but I disagree. When we go into games beaten before we kick a ball its time tae call it a day.

• Like 1

Up at Inverness we pressed them all over the pitch and stopped them from playing. I thought that would be our game plan for the season certainly away from home. Not tonight. We stood off and allowed Hearts to make their passes. Can't understand why we didn't play the way we did in Inverness?

Presuambly because we didn't have Chalmers and Pearson in the midfield.

Up at Inverness we pressed them all over the pitch and stopped them from playing. I thought that would be our game plan for the season certainly away from home. Not tonight. We stood off and allowed Hearts to make their passes. Can't understand why we didn't play the way we did in Inverness?

Early days, but it sounds like a poor performance so it cannot be seen as acceptable. Another game without a goal and fewer chances created. All very well to say we have a tough start to the season but really this is a pretty tight league and all teams will be taking points off each other. We went over some horrible runs of form and results last season and it nearly cost us. Do the same this year and we will probably pay the price. Time to kick a few arses and drive home the fact that we now need an improved performance on Saturday with some return in the goals and points columns. The fact that the game is against one of the better sides in the league is immaterial.

• Like 1

I like Barra but from what I see I think he tries to be too cute sometimes.

I felt against United we started well - then for some reason Barra switched positions of Chalmers and Johnson - I felt after that we lost our impetus and let Utd back into the game.

Sounds like tonight he's tried to tinker with tactics and be too smart. We should stick to what we're good at - which the evidence shows is high pressing, counter attacking football, especially away from home.

Didn't sound like that's what happened tonight.

Absolutely. If we get beaten, as I expect us to on Saturday, we'll have 3 points more than I anticipated before the season kicked off.

Out of interest how much would the manager have to spend before you would expect more than 0 points from 12 ?

I wasnt one of the cheerleaders who was fooled by the play offs , thought Johnson was Ronaldo or even got anywhere near excited by the summer signings.

It isnt the Champions League we're in though and relatively speaking some serious cash has been spent by this guy.

It's early days , hopefully the goals start going in for us soon. Definsively im not expecting them to improve much if any , we know what we have back there and have decided to stick with it, Hopefully the supposidly lesser teams will cause us less damage at that end of the park.

• Like 1

We should stick to what we're good at - which the evidence shows is high pressing, counter attacking football, especially away from home.

Didn't sound like that's what happened tonight.

To be fair, it was working fine until McDonald had a moment of madness and gave away the penalty. After that, instead of pushing the issue we kept playing the same way but Hearts didn't bite. They stayed composed, controlled the game, and attacked when prudent.

We had no plan B.

Aberdeen, hearts and utd have bigger budgets, so would expect them to be better than us. Caley who we beat are probably on par.

Of course money does not mean everthing as we have shown in the past. However it is not unreasonable to think we would struggle the first four games.

Very early into Barra's tenure I wouldn't have been bothered whatsoever if he'd been sacked. Now after some very good showing's late last season and a summer of what appear to be positive recruitment then I hope he's given time to turn it all round.

Must be said we are painfully inconsistent under Barraclough, given we've got a bit of depth now hopefully that issue can be resolved quickly.

Out of interest how much would the manager have to spend before you would expect more than 0 points from 12 ?

I wasnt one of the cheerleaders who was fooled by the play offs , thought Johnson was Ronaldo or even got anywhere near excited by the summer signings.

It isnt the Champions League we're in though and relatively speaking some serious cash has been spent by this guy.

This exactly. At this point in the season, 3 points is the MINIMUM Id be expecting. We have a good record at Caley park, they had 4 or 5 injuries and lost their 2 best players (by a mile) in the summer replacing them with nothing, We have been playing well at Fir Park tail end of the season and Utd lost their keeper,centre half and best player in Ciftci,again,replacing with nothing more than lower scottish league players and dutch crocks. We replaced a fair chunk of our team mostly early on, spent cash on fees and 3 year contracts plus bringing in high rated loans from the championship. That and we were entering the season on a high so 3 points as a minimum isnt asking for miracles is it?

I dont expect us to win every game but lets be realistic here, the quality in the SPL has probably never been poorer. Were not playing champions league teams here,were a pish team playing other pish teams and apart from the first 3 minutes of the first game, one of the worst pens Ive seen in a long time is the closest weve come to scoring while at the other end weve started the comedy defending early.

Baraclough has been given more than any Motherwell Manager since the start of the John Boyle era, handing out 3 year deals,big name signings (for us) transfer fees, bringing his own full backroom team as well as a totally new fitness coach. This is HIS TEAM now, His Team with a full pre season together, the time for excuses is over,he needs to do the talking on the park so I have no issue with people expecting more than comedy defending and regular humpings

• Like 1