Motherwell V Kilmarnock Sat 29 Aug 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Sink or swim time for Baraclough. He is on the cusp of losing the majority of the fans after last night's debacle, should he lose this one, it would make his position untenable imo. Thomas and Watt must start, McDonald has to start closer to Moult as they seemed to have a bit of an understanding. Probably due to Moult's immense work rate and Skippy's quality. If Law is down to start, I would sack him before K.O he is that poor.

Don't know if you were alive or not , Can you remember clyde beating us 4-3 at fir park in the Scottish cup and who was the manager ?

Don't know if you were alive or not , Can you remember clyde beating us 4-3 at fir park in the Scottish cup and who was the manager ?

You had to bring that up? Wasn't that when a 17 year old Pat Nevin tore us a new one?

Or was he 16 at the time?

I was just a wean but it does stick in my mind for being probably the first time I can remember my old man swearing at the fitba - a goal-line stramash being the catalyst for his outburst.

I'm guessing Craig Brown for Clyde and Jock Wallace in the dugouts.

But for all that, I'm not quite seeing the relevance to Baraclough and East Fife last night though.

I can remember watching Nevin playing against us at Shawfield and looking on a higher level

And Gordon Strachan as a stand out for a relegated Dundee

And McCoist shining at Muirton Park

Ever feel old?

Clyde defeat - jock Wallace is my guess. Big diddy successfully dismantled Davey Hays magnificent Div 1 winning side- what a season, I was at every game home and away. Magical memories

Craig Brown was Clyde manager for that game and Jock Wallace for us. Brown was there for around 12 years from mid/late 70's until late 80's. Nevin was signed by him for Clyde

As for Saturday, an absolute must win. Anything else is not even remotely acceptable. Should have enough about us to do it, and Skippy and Moult scoring on Tuesday night hopefully give them a bit of confidence.

No chance we will keep a clean sheet, but hopeful we can put more past a very poor Killie side than we will concede.

3-1 the good guys!

This game reminds me of the build-up to the St Johnstone game at the end of January. We'd lost 5 on the bounce and it was viewed as a must-win by many. Laing gets sent off on a car-crash debut and a 1-1 draw merits a stay of execution for Baraclough.

Regarding Saturday, I don't rate Locke however his team does tend to be more robust away from home. And with Boyd, Higginbotham and young Slater, they can be decent on their day.

I think we'll end up with a point, possibly coming from behind and showing 'good character' to get the manager through the International break.

I think we'll end up with a point, possibly coming from behind and showing 'good character' to get the manager through the International break.

Thats a possible outcome, but not good enough in my book. On the basis of early season form it seems likely that Killie will be in the nether regions of the league come May. If we can't beat them at home that doesn't say much for our prospects does it? That said we will also have to look beyond the bare numerical result. For example if we are denied 3 points by a totally incompetent referee then you can't blame the players or manager.

Last season I and no doubt a few others deluded ourselves when we failed to turn up in crunch game after crunch game. I kept on thinking we'll be ok and finish 10th.....That can't be allowed to happen this time.

What will be telling for me is the XI Baraclough picks. So far any changes we've seen have been dictated by injuries (or suspension) by and large his team selection has remained consistent, arguably regardless of performances:

Leitch/Taylor for Pearson

Moult for Fletcher

Chalmers for Hammell

Chalmers for Ainsworth

As it stands we've still not scored more than one goal within 90 mins, however we've taken the lead in 3 of the 5 league games we've played and lost games to, on the whole, avoidable goals. The flaws and deficiencies with the team are evident for everyone to see, Ya Bezzer's graphic of goals conceded or even a simple video analysis of positioning at the goals conceded give that information.

I'd say that it's up to Bara to show now that he actually has it in him to identify the issues and address them. Basically, he needs to show that he can manage. If that means dropping players that he considered to be part of his best XI 5 games ago or being flexible with formation to get the best out of the players he has then he has to do it. If players are being coached through the week to address these weaknesses but are reverting to type on a match day then it's the manager's responsibility to look at other options within the squad.

The manager made the point pre-East Fife that he wanted the players on the fringe of the XI (so to speak) to step up. I don't know if it was always the plan to only give Johnson 45mins in the cup but if it's the case that he was hooked then going by reports on here Dom Thomas has done exactly what the manager's been asking for. If the manager goes back to (broadly speaking) the same XI that has come up short, underperforming players still have their berth and we're still making the same mistakes then he deserves to have serious questions asked of him.

If we score first and can add to that then I'd hope we'll be OK, I still have no faith in us keeping a clean sheet though. Seeing that Moult has now scored in his last two games along with McDonald and Ainsworth getting off the mark then hopefully we might actually see a few more of the chances we've been creating being taken.

3-1 Motherwell (hopefully) McDonald, Moult & Laing for us

• Like 1

As some others have suggested I'd start with Watt at RB and Thomas on the wing, for Johnson. Our big problem again is going to centre mid. Thomas is a potential game changer no doubt about that. He's capable of opening up a massed defence such as Killie will probably deploy if and until they go a goal down. His weakness so far is that he is not consistently delivering a telling final ball. Too often so far, his final pass or cross has been weak after slicing open a defence. I think that will come in time. If he can add that to his game then we have a real player on our hands.

A wildcard suggestion from FPC boards - Johnson to replace Leitch in centre mid to give us a box to box capability there? Is that too risky?

A wildcard suggestion from FPC boards - Johnson to replace Leitch in centre mid to give us a box to box capability there? Is that too risky?

Dare I say it but that's Football Manager logic. I can understand the suggestion but it seems predicated on a couple of his attributes (pace, power) more than anything else. Given that he's hardly been bang on form at the moment I'd say that to wilfully play him out of position would be mental, he seems low enough on confidence as it is.

Having said that, I would be interested to see if it'd work since I can actually see some of the thought behind the idea. I don't think a "must win" home game vs Killie is really the best time to give it a shot though.