Dundee Utd V Motherwell Tue 16 Feb 19:45

Yabba's Turd

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I can't see past anything other than a defeat and possibly a heavy one. Utd now have us in their cross hairs (and why wouldn't they?) and a win here will bring them closer and still having to play us twice! I think I'm right in saying that a defeat here would also mean we are the only team in the league not to have taken points (or even a point) of a team marooned at the bottom of the league for most of the season! What a rid neck! Typical that we were due to play them on Boxing Day when we were looking good. Sod's law.

I'd be tempted to ring the changes for this and start with

Ripley

Hammell

Laing

Kennedy

Watt

Cadden

Gomis

Lasley

Thomas

Moult

McFadden

Madness? Perhaps, and I'm not 100% serious, but I'm sick and tired of watching the same players appear to not give a shit week in week out and watch results and performances get progressively worse.

Utd beat the Killie team that comfortably beat us 5-1 when they met a few weeks ago. I know football doesn't work like that, but still....

I can't see past anything other than a defeat and possibly a heavy one. Utd now have us in their cross hairs (and why wouldn't they?) and a win here will bring them closer and still having to play us twice! I think I'm right in saying that a defeat here would also mean we are the only team in the league not to have taken points (or even a point) of a team marooned at the bottom of the league for most of the season! What a rid neck! Typical that we were due to play them on Boxing Day when we were looking good. Sod's law.

I'd be tempted to ring the changes for this and start with

Ripley

Hammell

Laing

Kennedy

Watt

Cadden

Gomis

Lasley

Thomas

Moult

McFadden

Madness? Perhaps, and I'm not 100% serious, but I'm sick and tired of watching the same players appear to not give a shit week in week out and watch results and performances get progressively worse.

Utd beat the Killie team that comfortably beat us 5-1 when they met a few weeks ago. I know football doesn't work like that, but still....

No surprise here then another negative doom and gloom post you must be loving this run of bad form we are on. Try some positive thinking you might like it

3-5-2

----------Ripley-----------

---Kennedy---McManus----Hall-------

Cadden---Lasley---Gomis-----Johnson

-----------McDonald---------------

---------Fletcher----Moult--------

Pearson suspended, or id have Johnson on bench, and Pearson in

If Hall still injured I'd stick in Watt as he has covered left side before

McDonald needs a to operate between midfield and striker(s) as the playmaker.

Moult in particular should keep utd defense busy, and he is only 1 capable of winning a header. I always like fletchers hold up, and no better defense (other than ours) to kickstart his campaign against.

I'd just try and get as close as possible to our team in November/December.

Ripley, Law and Hammell all in their usual positions. Any two of McManus, Hall and Kennedy at centre back. Central midfield three of Cadden, Lasley and Pearson the Johnson on the left. Moult and McDonald up front.

• Like 1

I'd just try and get as close as possible to our team in November/December.

Ripley, Law and Hammell all in their usual positions. Any two of McManus, Hall and Kennedy at centre back. Central midfield three of Cadden, Lasley and Pearson the Johnson on the left. Moult and McDonald up front.

Pearson is suspended

Given United play a 352 sticking a winger in there would probably be useful. As Yassin says above just trying to get back to the team we had out playing well in December (or even a fortnight or so ago at Dens) would be a good start IMO.

In the 3 games I've seen him so far Gomis gives me the absolute fear but with Pearson suspended I'd think we'd have to play him.

Ripley

Law Hall McManus Hammell

Cadden Lasley Gomis

Johnson

Moult McDonald

Recent weeks would suggest we need to go back to basics.

Over time a 433 could work but I think we have to go back to getting the best out of Moult and McDonald by playing 442. Gomes had a nightmare against Killie but I like the idea of him and Lasley forging a partnership, with Cadden and Johnson either side.

The defence seems a shambles whatever the personnel but I think an opportunity for Luke Watt is long overdue.

Huge game.

I wish we could drop more players for this one but we can't. Hopefully young Ben Hall will be back but that still leaves a weak defence, especially at full back. Other things being equal maybe give Luke Watt a run at right back? Chalmers is no better than Hammell. Midfield picks itself or should do, but the mix of Johnson, Cadden, Lasley and Gomis doesn't look right. Johnson has to play the full 90 minutes. Hopefully we'll resort to 4-4-2. It may be primordial in some folks' eyes but it is our best formation.

We have to travel to Dundee with some fire and fight in our bellies and run for 90+ minutes. We have to protect Ripley at all costs, something we're remarkably poor at doing. We have to harry, hassle and annoy United and if we can do that a 0-0 draw isn't beyond us. Make no mistake all that will be a tall order on the basis of this season's form.