Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

5 hours ago, Coatsy said:

Its a pity that a good keeper like that is sitting watching not playing, equally as good as Carson, Randolf etc its a waste of a career but money talks

A wee look at Randolph's career stats suggests he's had a similar gig at West Ham then Bournemouth for a couple of seasons too. Not exactly played many first team games.

16 hours ago, Coatsy said:

Its a pity that a good keeper like that is sitting watching not playing, equally as good as Carson, Randolf etc its a waste of a career but money talks

Getting paid a very good wage for an easy gig playing reserve football and the odd cup game, or premiership bench warming, with the possibility of some European trips next season in the CL. Aye ok then, Gillespie won't be losing much sleep on how his career has turned out.

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Getting paid a very good wage for an easy gig playing reserve football and the odd cup game, or premiership bench warming, with the possibility of some European trips next season in the CL. Aye ok then, Gillespie won't be losing much sleep on how his career has turned out.

I don't think he'll even get the odd cup game unless the side suffer injuries due to having the other 3 keepers as it stands. He got a League Cup runners medal due to pure happenstance. Obviously in the Epl they can register a squad of 25 (Ages 21 and under don't count), he was turfed out of that earlier in the season to free up space. But yeah, he won't be losing much sleep being on a fair wedge at his favourite club. 

Being a keeper is a strange life as for most of them most of the time, it's a career consisting of being a backup.

So on one hand I can see the attraction of at least being a well paid backup (or in Gillespie's case, a well paid backup to the backup's backup backup).

On the other hand, I've never heard a professional footballer ever say at the end of their career "I wished I'd played less games".  It must be difficult for a pro to train every week for competition, but never compete.

I'd have thought, at least for early-mid career you'd want to get as many appearances as possible at whatever level you could. While Randolph is a bench warmer in recent times, he did get a tilt at the EPL (including his win against Liverpool), had a very good Championship career, has made over 400 first team appearances and won 50 caps for Ireland. So his retirement fund padding at West Ham and recent signing for Bournemouth make more sense.

Gillespie has obviously made peace with his wage packet and the fact he won't be near the first team. Presumably working at the club he supports has made it easier.

44 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Being a keeper is a strange life as for most of them most of the time, it's a career consisting of being a backup.

So on one hand I can see the attraction of at least being a well paid backup (or in Gillespie's case, a well paid backup to the backup's backup backup).

On the other hand, I've never heard a professional footballer ever say at the end of their career "I wished I'd played less games".  It must be difficult for a pro to train every week for competition, but never compete.

I'd have thought, at least for early-mid career you'd want to get as many appearances as possible at whatever level you could. While Randolph is a bench warmer in recent times, he did get a tilt at the EPL (including his win against Liverpool), had a very good Championship career, has made over 400 first team appearances and won 50 caps for Ireland. So his retirement fund padding at West Ham and recent signing for Bournemouth make more sense.

Gillespie has obviously made peace with his wage packet and the fact he won't be near the first team. Presumably working at the club he supports has made it easier.

Yes, I think if it was any other team he would have been offfski a long time ago. 
Having said that, if we do loose Kelly at some point, he would be one player most would be happy to see back on loan!!

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

We don't know what his personal situation is or what his ties to the Newcastle area are. Maybe there are other, possibly external,  factors which explain his acceptance of being fourth choice. Maybe he is simply looking to his long term future and getting heavily involved in coaching, gaining Uefa coaching badges, supported by Newcastle FC. Maybe he needs to be close to home for personal reasons. Maybe he is just enjoying football life in whatever role he has. We simply don't know.

Whatever, he has chosen to sign on on for another year. I have no doubt he could easily be a first choice at some other team if that was a route he wanted to go down.

36 minutes ago, TwistAndShout said:

The talk in Newcastle is that he's being retained to fulfill the Home Grown Quota within the squad... and that Karius, Darlow and Dubravka could all be departing the club this summer.

So, in effect, Gillespie is enabling sportswashing. 

2 hours ago, wellfan said:

So, in effect, Gillespie is enabling sportswashing. 

Quite a few teams seem to plump for home grown keepers to make up the 8 players required. In recent times Man United had Lee Grant, Man City have Scott Carson, even Joe Hart was winding down his career at Spurs before Celtic came calling to name a few.

Good luck to Gillespie, solid enough keeper who could being playing at a decent level if he wanted too.

I see Alloa Athletic have went crazy signing former 'Well players over the last 24 hours with PJ Morrison, Morgyn Neill, David Devine and Steven Hetherington signing for them.

18 minutes ago, Ped_MFC said:

Article on the BBC website about a Third Lanark tour of Argentina and Uruguay in 1923. As they didn't have enough players they included guests from other Scottish sides. Topscorer on the Tour was Hughie Ferguson.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-65890166

He really was an outstanding player of his time.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 7:41 PM, Coatsy said:

Was arguably one of our better players under Hammell never got a chance with the kettle

Which basically means he was one of our better players when we were hurtling towards potential relegation, but deemed not good enough when we were on the up and looking like a potential top six side.

4 hours ago, Ped_MFC said:

Article on the BBC website about a Third Lanark tour of Argentina and Uruguay in 1923. As they didn't have enough players they included guests from other Scottish sides. Topscorer on the Tour was Hughie Ferguson.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-65890166

I think my bro in law's dad's uncle played on that tour, he certainly went to SA with Motherwell 

1 hour ago, David said:

Which basically means he was one of our better players when we were hurtling towards potential relegation, but deemed not good enough when we were on the up and looking like a potential top six side.

What a strange way to look at it but no more than i expect from you

16 hours ago, Coatsy said:

What a strange way to look at it but no more than i expect from you

Strange, but true. He was one of our better players under Hammell in a losing team that was playing badly. But didn't feature in the team when we were winning under Kettlewell.

I'll ignore the petty swipe at the end of your post. 

I was interested to see Nicky Devlin move to Aberdeen.

I remember when he was at Dumbarton he was being touted as the "next big thing" and we were excited to sign him.

Then after that he was just farmed out on loan to lower league clubs until he signed for Stenhousemuir.

In his most recent stint at Livi I can't say he's ever stood out to me as being anything other than decent, so was a bit surprised that Abedeen went for him - even with the defensive issues they've had in the past season or two.