Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

On 11/27/2023 at 8:44 PM, smiddy said:

a might be daft here but this popped up on my sons phone today, a scoop that said dundee utd to loan louis moult back to motherwell in january,   dont know if it was a spoof , but the article was something to do with insiders knowledge,  but then yung yins are watching that much shite on there phones, maybe thats what it was,,,, anybody shed some light ????   PANT WETTERS NEED NOT REPLY thank u

A few folk have called me about this one, too. They said they'd seen it a newspaper. Daily Record?

2 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

However, in those 10 games there have also been some very good performances (St Mirren, Rangers, Celtic, Celtic). 

We have also come back from being behind against Ross County, St Johnstone, Celtic and turned 0-4 v Aberdeen into a 2-4.

Good performances are acceptable if we haven't won in 2/3/4 games, but TEN games with no win mean they count for very very little.

I'll give you turning around the County/St Johnstone games, but we were honking in both, particularly St Johnstone, absolutely abysmal that night.

As for turning 0-4 into 2-4, that's just not a thing for me personally. Once again we got pumped that night and 2-4 flattered us.

BUT I desperately hope SK proves me wrong, starting Saturday.

4 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Not having a go at you personally Gaz as plenty have the same opinion as you and you are all entitled to it.

The 10 games without a win is undisputable. And there have been some terrible performances. (2nd half v Livvy, first half v Aberdeen, Kilmarnock, first 60 minutes v Ross County).

However, in those 10 games there have also been some very good performances (St Mirren, Rangers, Celtic, Celtic). 

We have also come back from being behind against Ross County, St Johnstone, Celtic and turned 0-4 v Aberdeen into a 2-4.

So this is not a team without any redeaming features and they havent downed tools like Hammells team did at the end.

The summer transfer business was poor. I dont think anyone would argue that, however, we dont know if there were other targets who didnt want come or we couldnt agree a financial package with, so context is important there.

As Ive argued before that althought the signings may have been the best the management thought they could get at the time, there are still 2 problems with them. In some cases we may have let better players go, and the length of the contracts given to Bair and Obika in the circumstances were mad.

We seem to be getting over our injury worries now and the managerseems to have had time to reflect on the Kilnarnock and Hearts debacles and gone back to a more recognisable shape.

The next 4 games are important for him though. We need some decent points on the board to try and consolidate our position. We are quite fortunate not to be detached right now so we cant afford to spurn many more chances.

This one feels huge. Home game v a direct rival. We need to see shape, resilience, some sort of tactical plan and hopefully a good performance. 

I think we need to target 8 points from these 4 games. 6 as a minimum. 3 on Saturday would be a big step towards that.

Well said pal 👍

7 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Good performances are acceptable if we haven't won in 2/3/4 games, but TEN games with no win mean they count for very very little.

I'll give you turning around the County/St Johnstone games, but we were honking in both, particularly St Johnstone, absolutely abysmal that night.

As for turning 0-4 into 2-4, that's just not a thing for me personally. Once again we got pumped that night and 2-4 flattered us.

BUT I desperately hope SK proves me wrong, starting Saturday.

Not defending the poor parts of the performances. Its unacceptable that a team and manager who are capable of such good things at times should really get things so badly wrong at other times. 

Just trying to highlight that the team and manager are far from a lost cause.

They do need to start proving it on a more regular basis though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wellfan said:

https://x.com/fcgroningen/status/1729806310823059495?s=20

Translation: Van Veen to Scotland for upcoming fatherhood. The striker is leaving today for an indefinite period back to Scotland and will assist his heavily pregnant girlfriend during the birth.

Thats about as big a "Come and get me" as you could see.

Unfortunately more than just us will be interested and money talks. Particularly with an in contract player on wages that are way more than we can afford.

Id be flabbergasted if he ends up back at Fir Park.....

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Thats about as big a "Come and get me" as you could see.

Unfortunately more than just us will be interested and money talks. Particularly with an in contract player on wages that are way more than we can afford.

Id be flabbergasted if he ends up back at Fir Park.....

I don't believe the player covers himself in any glory here.  Moving back to Holland whilst family are in the UK is a bit odd.  He's touted himself loud and clear for the bigger boys in Scottish football to come and get him. 

KVV always had 2 sides . The moody one when he didn't get his way v's the happy chap who banged them in.

I'm not sold his return to Scottish football would be a repeat of last season.  Albeit more than good enough for us.

Like you mentioned I'd be delighted and flabbergasted if he ended up with us, more likely Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen.

• Like 1

Not that I think we should be going back to the past as I think we do that too often and should be looking to the future 

I would though take Van Veen on loan, or a fit Louis Moult over some of the options we have at present

Looking onwards Saturday now is must win ,  Biereth and Obika starting as they are the best two options we have right now in my opinion

I can’t help be cynical that celtic are trying to drum up business and extra cash to sell Turnbull as he’s refused a new contract but I certainly think he is capable of playing in Italy at a good level.

I think his style of football is appreciated there. He’s completely unappreciated at Celtic, they prefer the hatate type who charges around clueless at 100mph

if he does go for good money and we get 10% that laddie has generated our club a fortune. Some of our support don’t really appreciate the extension contract he signed with us as well when he didn’t have to (take note Allan Campbell ) 

good luck to him, will look forward to supporting him wherever he ends up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mio said:

I can’t help be cynical that celtic are trying to drum up business and extra cash to sell Turnbull as he’s refused a new contract but I certainly think he is capable of playing in Italy at a good level.

I think his style of football is appreciated there. He’s completely unappreciated at Celtic, they prefer the hatate type who charges around clueless at 100mph

if he does go for good money and we get 10% that laddie has generated our club a fortune. Some of our support don’t really appreciate the extension contract he signed with us as well when he didn’t have to (take note Allan Campbell ) 

When he was ready to move from Fir Park I said at the time that somewhere on the continent would be ideal for Turnbull. His style is tailor-made for leagues where they prefer passing and possession.

Even if he ends up leaving on a free and we get nothing, I still hope he gets a move to a team that appreciates his talents. Maybe the recent success of other Scottish players abroad will encourage him to take the chance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mio said:

I cant believe some of the comments some of our fans make about Turnbull. He was under no obligation to sign a contract extension . He knew he'd be leaving but signed on to ensure the club that looked after him were taken care off. We therefore got good money for him. Lennon Miller is the same he knows he won't be with us for long but extended his contract which again will give the club a chance to get some payback for for that investment.

I will never give guys like that a hard time.

There are so many badge kissing fuckers who take the club for a ride. I wouldn't piss on Tom Boyd, Chris Cadden or Declan Gallagher if they were on Fire. Those cunts actively did all they could to either bad mouth the club or ensure we got fuck all. 

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, weeyin said:

When he was ready to move from Fir Park I said at the time that somewhere on the continent would be ideal for Turnbull. His style is tailor-made for leagues where they prefer passing and possession.

Even if he ends up leaving on a free and we get nothing, I still hope he gets a move to a team that appreciates his talents. Maybe the recent success of other Scottish players abroad will encourage him to take the chance.

Ferguson is doing extremely well in Italy which is great to see. He’s another player deemed not good enough by the throngs of idiots who support the ugly sisters.

Turnbull is a much more accomplished player than Ferguson and has the potential to do even better, technically an excellent player and he’s a midfielder who is a prolific goalscorer. All he needs is a good defensive midfielder behind him and he’d be a standout.

I would love to see turnbull leave celtic in january and make us a bit of money in the process.from his point of view,he would be crazy to sign a new contract with celtic,he's in and out there team and he's not really any further forward in breaking into the scotland set up.his next move will be vital for his career,he could stay where he is and win a lot more trophies but ability wise he could be playing at a higher level than that.

5 hours ago, mio said:

I think you are being a bit unfair with your snide comment regarding Allan Campbell.

Allan played 135 times and I am sure he never gave less than 100% in every match and I don't know of any well fan who didn't appreciate his time spent at the club and didn't wish him well in his future career.   A cracking player.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wellfan said:

The only way Turnbull will get back into the Scotland squad is if he moves elsewhere, and I hope he does. Great player. 

I agree. Was really disappointed in him when he stated that his preference was to stay in Scotland. At his age he ought to have looked much further abroad than even Norwich. Hickey, Ferguson and the unfortunate Tierney should be held up as role models to our youngsters.

4 hours ago, mio said:

Turnbull is a much more accomplished player than Ferguson and has the potential to do even better, technically an excellent player and he’s a midfielder who is a prolific goalscorer. All he needs is a good defensive midfielder behind him and he’d be a standout.

Completely agree - we saw players like Lambert making a huge success by going abroad. 

Turnbull would excel and I hope he goes on to much bigger and better things. 

Class act both on and off the pitch. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, well_said said:

I think you are being a bit unfair with your snide comment regarding Allan Campbell.

Allan played 135 times and I am sure he never gave less than 100% in every match and I don't know of any well fan who didn't appreciate his time spent at the club and didn't wish him well in his future career.   A cracking player.

I’ll take that, it was a bit snide and I have zero doubt Campbell gave his absolute all for us and I do wish him well.
My point was he was offered an extension which he refused, again, entirely his prerogative and within his right and left for a minimal development fee with no add ons, thus enabling him to get a bigger wedge from Luton.

Turnbull could have done exactly the same but didn’t knowing his club, which Motherwell is, would benefit. Because he went to Celtic tho he’s had much more stick from “some” of our fan base. Even tho he’s earned the club £3.75m and potentially come January another £750k

• Thanks 1