Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

1 hour ago, yosemite sam said:

Lets be honest if VAR takes four minutes to decide that something is a penalty, it is not an obvious error.

That's my biggest gripe.

I saw it used in a competition a couple of years ago - I think one of the CONCAF ones - where they had 30 seconds to decide to overrule. Anything longer than that and the decision on the pitch stood. Worked really well.

The fact the VAR officials are from the same pool of refs that make poor decisions on the pitch doesn't help either.

And the fact that the VAR officials often get to pick and choose what to review opens the whole process up to accusations of bias (rightly or wrongly) in favour of the "big" teams.

3 hours ago, Clackscat said:

Was a stunning save, and as others said NO ONE realised at time it was a handball, commentators took till 2nd replay, QPR players didn't claim, looked for all the world like he headed it, especially from ref's angle.

I thought the big man was immense last night, strolled the game and pinged some great long passes, can anyone remember what we sold him for?

Think he went for £1,000,000.

Killie getting a doing off The Sheep., 75 gone, no KVV yet, but I'm sure he'll het 10 mins to keeping his booking stats up.

15 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Whatever they're paying him, it's a waste of money. Makes you wonder whether McInnes actually wanted him or if it was just a pissing contest.

Possibly. Not a good sign when you're three one down in a cup tie, ne3eding goals and your marqee striker-signing isn't one of the four subs they brought on.

6 hours ago, AllyMax said:

Possibly. Not a good sign when you're three one down in a cup tie, ne3eding goals and your marqee striker-signing isn't one of the four subs they brought on.

McInnes saying Van Veen injured himself in the warm up - but no one mentioned it until he decided to bring him on. 

re KVV.

I've never understood why was he so desperate to go back to Holland. Given his partner lives  here and was having their child, it's rather odd.  Feels like ego. 

I wish the guy 'Well and delighted with what he did for us but he comes across as a bit of a primadonna . 

It was more luck than judgement that he's not back at FP and with hindsight goggles I'm relieved. Vale has been excellent for us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

re KVV.

I've never understood why was he so desperate to go back to Holland. Given his partner lives  here and was having their child, it's rather odd.  Feels like ego. 

Quite simple really cashing in on a once in a lifetime season I assume for a large signing on fee and vastly increased wages,  doing the same as Higdon did, who can blame him.

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

re KVV.

I wish the guy 'Well and delighted with what he did for us but he comes across as a bit of a primadonna . 

It was more luck than judgement that he's not back at FP and with hindsight goggles I'm relieved. Vale has been excellent for us. 

MONEY .

58 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Quite simple really cashing in on a once in a lifetime season I assume for a large signing on fee and vastly increased wages,  doing the same as Higdon did, who can blame him.

he could have got decent money in Scotland or certainly the UK  - don't blame him for cashing in but thought it odd knowing his family and baby to be were in the UK

We got the best of Kevin van Veen, especially in the last few months of his time with us. He was confident, fit and scoring regularly. He was always going to leave last summer when his stock was at its peak and him and his agent were seeing £££ signs. Had he stayed here I don’t think he would have been anywhere near 29 goals this season. 

1 hour ago, MJC said:

Had he stayed here I don’t think he would have been anywhere near 29 goals this season. 

Or had anywhere near as healthy a Bank balance. Motherwell got their fee, KVV got his pension. Win, win.

Hopefully he gets back on track somewhere next season. Other than that, yesterday's news.

1 hour ago, MJC said:

We got the best of Kevin van Veen, especially in the last few months of his time with us. He was confident, fit and scoring regularly. He was always going to leave last summer when his stock was at its peak and him and his agent were seeing £££ signs. Had he stayed here I don’t think he would have been anywhere near 29 goals this season. 

Yeah, there was nothing in his career stats that suggested he was likely to repeat, or even get near, last season's goal tally.

It's something the folk who think we should sell Fir Park to get Spittal tied down need to remember. When one of our guys has a career best year, both parties come out of it winners, but consistently great players just don't sign here in the first place.

40 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Yeah, there was nothing in his career stats that suggested he was likely to repeat, or even get near, last season's goal tally.

It's something the folk who think we should sell Fir Park to get Spittal tied down need to remember. When one of our guys has a career best year, both parties come out of it winners, but consistently great players just don't sign here in the first place.

No player is bigger than the club. It doesn’t matter how well they have done for us or how ‘pally’ they are with some supporters, at the end of the day players will come and go but the club will always be here. If KvV, Blair Spittal or whoever decide to move on after a good season with us then good luck to them, as long as we as a club do okay from the deal. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MJC said:

No player is bigger than the club. It doesn’t matter how well they have done for us or how ‘pally’ they are with some supporters, at the end of the day players will come and go but the club will always be here. If KvV, Blair Spittal or whoever decide to move on after a good season with us then good luck to them, as long as we as a club do okay from the deal. 

Is Spittal not out of contract at end of season so if he leaves we get zero benefit other than his wages to spend (gamble) on someone else?

3 hours ago, Fergie79 said:

Spittal not out of contract so if he leaves we get zero benefit other than his wages to spend (gamble) on someone else?

And holding him up as an example to potential new signings of how our club can be a stepping stone to develop your career. When we don't have much money to spend, that is often a good selling point.