Scottish Premiership Motherwell V Rangers Sat 28 Jan 12:30

Yabba's Turd

The problem with these kinds of posts is they just automatically assume that the course of action not taken was better than the course of action taken.

In the imagination perhaps Ainsworth comes on, runs their defence ragged and sets up a goal. But equally likely, if not more so, he comes on, looks completely disinterested and leaves a huge channel down the wing for the Rangers full back to romp down.

We'll never know what a different course of action would have made but having seen the match I'd suggest Rangers were just much better than us today and it's a bit churlish to suggest some tactical tinkering would have changed that, especially after far and away our best player has been sent off.

Better to regret something you've done than something you haven't. Positive change was needed 15 mins before Rangers scored, blatantly obvious. Ainsworth is no world beater but has proven (unlike any of the 3 subs that came on) that he can create chances and score goals at this level, yet he's ignored.........The day we start losing and not questioning the manager and the players is the day we should all just give up.
  • Like 2

The chance in the 1st half were Clay had AT LEAST 2 easy balls to play a man through on goal but contrived to hit a shite shot past the post summed him up for me, useless.

So what was the three chances McDonald had say about him to you - two of them put on a plate by the (supposed) out of form Cadden - the other could have fed in 4 players?

your kidding yourself on if you dont think mcghees tactics played a part in us losing the game,negative from the outset and to replace chalmers with mcmillan was baffling and then too wait until rangers had scored before being more adventurous.you can bang on all you want about rangers being a better team than us but the chance was there for us too have a real go when they went down too 10 men and we blew it yet again and mcghee needs too take his share of the blame for that.

Yeah it was "baffling". Truly baffling. We've not had a left sided midfielder since Johnson left. Ross MacLean was injured as far as I know and Frear just signed yesterday and has hardly played since November.

He could put Ainsworth on this wrong foot or put McMillan who's been playing on the left all season. That was his options.

Still baffled?

Yeah it was "baffling". Truly baffling. We've not had a left sided midfielder since Johnson left. Ross MacLean was injured as far as I know and Frear just signed yesterday and has hardly played since November.

He could put Ainsworth on this wrong foot or put McMillan who's been playing on the left all season. That was his options.

Still baffled?

a lot of wingers play on the opposite side from the foot there strongest with,so aye im still baffled thanks for asking.

As soon as Halloran was sent off I said to my pal that the ref would even it up at the first opportunity and it proved to be so. If Skippys was a red then so was Tierneys but we can't sent 2 Rangers players off in the same game eh?....

As someone above said Chalmers is a deputy left back and nothing else. Clay should've dropped from the team months ago. Nothing good will be achieved with these 2 featuring. These guys, if fit, seem to be nailed on starters!!

McMillan for Chalmers was the wrong sub. Should've brought on Frear or Ainsworth. Lasley should've been on for Clay at half time, or better still, started in his place.

2nd half was just a matter of time before Rangers scored and they probably should've scored before they did with Tait getting ripped as he usually does when up against any pace. We competed well enough in the middle but there's no pace or guile that can create. Set piece delivery was shocking as well. We could still be playing and not look like scoring.

Is that McDonald suspended for 1 or 2 games? Either way, his impending suspension is the worst thing about today's game.

McGhees post match interview was baffling and delusional.

We have Ross County, Hearts, Aberdeen and Celtic in the next 4 games. Where are the points coming from? If we take a single point from that run we'll be doing well. If we do stay up it'll be by the skin of our teeth and in not convinced we will as we're making the same mistakes (manager and players) as we have been all season and don't appear to be learning.

• Like 1

So what was the three chances McDonald had say about him to you - two of them put on a plate by the (supposed) out of form Cadden - the other could have fed in 4 players?

McDonald contributes massively to the team, we're far worse off without him, as evidenced today. Clay is not cut out for this level. I'm really not sure what you're getting at?

Still baffled?

Frear played regularly up until his last game on the 7th of January.

I'm actually more upbeat today than I was last Saturday. At least today's game is out of the way although regrettably we picked up a red card. Anyone naively expecting Rangers to pick up 2 red cards in one game is living in cloud cuckoo land. Today's game was lost in large part last week. After listening to Mark McGhee's now honest but notorious interview I asked how on earth he was going to motivate the team for this week. Basically he came across saying that he had tried all he could and that wasn't enough; he had no idea what to do and there was no hope. That was not the way to prepare for today's game. Its no wonder the players didn't look up for it. You a expect better from a manager; a leader if you like.

I fully expected Chalmers to play left midfield again and so he did and that indicated a very cautious approach. As with last week we played the wrong team and deployed the wrong tactics. It was plain our primary tactic was to try and stop Rangers, who although not a great side are streets ahead of us. If we had a central midfield it was unceremoniously bulldozed.

My great fear though is that Mark McGhee's downbeat and depressing tone will carry forward to Tuesday's game.

I'm actually more upbeat today than I was last Saturday. At least today's game is out of the way although regrettably we picked up a red card. Anyone naively expecting Rangers to pick up 2 red cards in one game is living in cloud cuckoo land. Today's game was lost in large part last week. After listening to Mark McGhee's now honest but notorious interview I asked how on earth he was going to motivate the team for this week. Basically he came across saying that he had tried all he could and that wasn't enough; he had no idea what to do and there was no hope. That was not the way to prepare for today's game. Its no wonder the players didn't look up for it. You a expect better from a manager; a leader if you like.

I fully expected Chalmers to play left midfield again and so he did and that indicated a very cautious approach. As with last week we played the wrong team and deployed the wrong tactics. It was plain our primary tactic was to try and stop Rangers, who although not a great side are streets ahead of us. If we had a central midfield it was unceremoniously bulldozed.

My great fear though is that Mark McGhee's downbeat and depressing tone will carry forward to Tuesday's game.

And that is an upbeat post Dave. I would hate to see a downbeat one :-)

He was fairly upbeat about the game on Sportsound

Better just stand on the side lines with your thumb up your arse than try and change the game.

We had been shite from half time until the goal. It was always coming. Doing nothing was trying to hold on to the slim hope we could keep a clean sheet and escape with a point. I think most people would like to see a positive attacking change to get Rangers out of our half.

We have been shite all season this was as predictable as rain. We have a dodgy manager at best and can only sign guys from English non league football.. We are heading down, if not this season we will miss it by a baw hair, but medium to long term are only going one way. I remember the days I used to bother.

Since 19th of November he had 4 matches playing 26, 28, 37 and 57 minutes.

So that's the equivalent of 1 and a half matches in over two months.

You're not right mate. He's been involved in 6 matches in that timeframe. 7 if you include the 88 minutes he played on 19th.

Not a staggering amount of football but not enough to stop him featuring more in this game. The more pertinent reason to argue why he didn't start or come on for Chalmers would be that he was just in the door and didn't know his teammates.