S Robinson Motherwell Manager

CoF

Can't see it...but imagine.

McGhee to Kilmarnock Kilmarnock and Motherwell could be set to make an unintended managerial switch after it emerged Mark McGhee is among the leading candidates to take over at Rugby Park. McGhee exited Fir Park earlier this week after a string of poor results. Among the favourites to replace him in Lanarkshire is current Killie interim boss Lee McCulloch, who started his career at Motherwell. (Scottish Sun)

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/rumour-mill-caixinha-in-place-for-celtic-clash-messi-wants-dembele-at-barcelona-mcghee-to-kilmarnock-1-4381888

Whoever gets the job, I would hope he would ditch the apparent defeatism in our attitude to top six teams. OK, Celtic are out on their own but other teams seem to have more fight and organisation: Accies beat Aberdeen, Ross County beat Hearts and no-one seems to regard Rangers as world-beaters. We seem to have surrendered before we even set foot on the pitch: grrrrrrrr!

The one thing Baraclough got right was his tactics in the play-offs.

In the short term, a brash, boot-up-the-arse-Yogi Hughes-type ("working-class-club-type-honesty-character") may be what is required.

I suspect the club already have identified their man.

Whether he wants it is something else, of course.

I presume you didn't hear John Hughes on the radio during the week? He made McGhee sound perfectly balanced.

Can't see it...but imagine.

McGhee to Kilmarnock Kilmarnock and Motherwell could be set to make an unintended managerial switch after it emerged Mark McGhee is among the leading candidates to take over at Rugby Park. McGhee exited Fir Park earlier this week after a string of poor results. Among the favourites to replace him in Lanarkshire is current Killie interim boss Lee McCulloch, who started his career at Motherwell. (Scottish Sun)

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/rumour-mill-caixinha-in-place-for-celtic-clash-messi-wants-dembele-at-barcelona-mcghee-to-kilmarnock-1-4381888

Be astounded if we went for someone as inexperienced as McCulluch given the situation we are in unless we're planning for a promotion push next season already...

Remember when we were already champions and we beat them on the last day at Tynecastle to keep them down? It was the well worth the ride home on the windowless bus afterwards.

At the time, I had a Mk3 Cortina complete with Claret & Amber paintwork in the style of Starsky & Hutch. Lost my rear window that day and was lucky to escape down Gorgie Rd alive.

What have I missed about him as to why Lee McCulloch's name is even being mentioned? I don't get it.

Shite newspapers making a shite story out of something that's never going to happen.

• Like 1

I want McCulloch as manager...... of Kilmarnock... At this minute in time, not the person we need. As well as being a novice manager, he'd have to get know the players and prove to them that he was the gaffer, too many old pals in the team at present.

I still haven't decided who I'd like Coyle or Davies would do but would they take it? I don't think so.

Simo, not this time around.

I am not even sure Robinson would be a decent fit.

Hughes, just don't see him fitting our club.

Peter Houston? Without a doubt but would he leave Falkirk.

As long as it isn't Craig Brown, Terry Butcher (no disrespect intended) or Malpish.

If we get Stubbs I'll be boycotting MFCTV. I find his interviews absolutely excruciating and have absolutely no idea how he gets chosen as a pundit. He sounds like he's got to delve into the abyss of his brain to haul out even the simplest of words. No idea how he gets any meaningful message across to his players.

Not saying he'll be a bad manager or anything. But fuck watching that every week.

• Like 1

Coyle's odds seem pretty understandable since in terms of general optics he makes sense (overlooking the obvious unknown of whether or not he'd be successful);

- experienced

- connection with the club

- has managed at a decent level

- presumably looking to rebuild his reputation

- he's enough of a name that the players would probably react, unlike the appointment of Baraclough.

- as a "name" he'd presumably connect with the 30/40-something demographic the club are trying to reach again

- he hasn't (as far as I'm aware) ruled out interest, equally he hasn't (as far as I'm aware) said he is interested but still...

All of these make him a glaringly obvious choice, a favourite if you will, which is of course caveated by him actually being interested in the job in the first place which is something that at this moment in time, no one knows.

Having a quick look on social media and Blackburn fan forums Coyle's reputation seems to have taken an absolute kicking. He seems to essentially be a joke figure down south so with the profile he currently has it's difficult to see him getting another job at a decent level in England and it's even less likely that any job he takes down there won't have him carrying the baggage of failures at Blackburn, Wigan and Bolton. Any job he took would see him introduced with that foremost in the minds of fans and he'd have to win them over.

I don't think that would be the case at Motherwell. I'd imagine there would be much more goodwill towards him at Fir Park. He'd be presented as a former player, who did well & scored goals for the club who has since gone on to manage high profile clubs at a good level and whose failures can probably be mitigated, at least in part, by Bolton, Wigan & Blackburn being utter basket cases. I'd have thought given the connection with the club and coming off the back of a divisive character like McGhee in charge then an appointment like Coyle would be one that would allow the club and the majority of the support to get on the same page. Would I be right in saying he was at the club when Craigan was coming through as well?

Having said all that, there's no indication that he's actually interested in the job and whichever way you slice it going from managing Blackburn in the English Championship and the associated wage to Motherwell in the Scottish Premiership is a pretty big step down (said with all due respect to our club!)

• Like 8

Good post capt_oats.

Coyle would be a decent appointment and if there is anything in the odds it is encouraging we are attracting someone we has managed in the Premier League, albeit with his stock slightly on the wain the last few years. Out of all the names mentioned on this thread, he wouldn't be my first choice but by no means a bad choice and the few that have been mentioned that I'd be more willing to see are pure fantasy.

Certainly think he is a better option than Davies, Valakari and Stubbs.

I'm in two minds about Coyle and Stubbs.

Obviously staying in the top flight is the absolute priority. I've no idea if Coyle would get out out of the mess we are in but I think he would be the best candidate if we remain a premiership team next term.

Stubbs or Peter Houston, on the other hand, I feel would be better choices if we were to be relegated. Both have managed at that level and would know the league inside out.

Although the decision should be based on keeping us in the league. I wonder if the board will be thinking ahead to next season should the worse case scenario happen.

Good post capt_oats.

Coyle would be a decent appointment and if there is anything in the odds it is encouraging we are attracting someone we has managed in the Premier League, albeit with his stock slightly on the wain the last few years. Out of all the names mentioned on this thread, he wouldn't be my first choice but by no means a bad choice and the few that have been mentioned that I'd be more willing to see are pure fantasy.

Certainly think he is a better option than Davies, Valakari and Stubbs.

As far as Valakari goes I'd have thought that if we overlooked his application the last time to go with McGhee then I can't imagine much will have changed and the same doubts that existed then will still be there this time round.

Davies seems utterly unemployable and his first stint at the club put me off going to games, suffice to say I'd hardly be keen on seeing him back.

I'm not necessarily banging a drum for Coyle but I'd think as far as "fits" go then of the names being quoted he makes a certain amount of sense. He certainly ticks more boxes in a broader sense than the other names the bookies are quoting.

Maybe you can answer this question for me, always intrigued me. You know if you're doing a night in the rank outside the Palace? Is it better/more profitable to have like one big fare to Glasgow or lots of little local ones like to Silvertonhill and the bottom end of Motherwell?

Find out for yourself you lazy bastard

http://www.northlanarkshire.gov.uk/article/27712/TaxiPrivate-hire-licences

Coyle's odds seem pretty understandable since in terms of general optics he makes sense (overlooking the obvious unknown of whether or not he'd be successful);

- experienced

- connection with the club

- has managed at a decent level

- presumably looking to rebuild his reputation

- he's enough of a name that the players would probably react, unlike the appointment of Baraclough.

- as a "name" he'd presumably connect with the 30/40-something demographic the club are trying to reach again

- he hasn't (as far as I'm aware) ruled out interest, equally he hasn't (as far as I'm aware) said he is interested but still...

All of these make him a glaringly obvious choice, a favourite if you will, which is of course caveated by him actually being interested in the job in the first place which is something that at this moment in time, no one knows.

Having a quick look on social media and Blackburn fan forums Coyle's reputation seems to have taken an absolute kicking. He seems to essentially be a joke figure down south so with the profile he currently has it's difficult to see him getting another job at a decent level in England and it's even less likely that any job he takes down there won't have him carrying the baggage of failures at Blackburn, Wigan and Bolton. Any job he took would see him introduced with that foremost in the minds of fans and he'd have to win them over.

I don't think that would be the case at Motherwell. I'd imagine there would be much more goodwill towards him at Fir Park. He'd be presented as a former player, who did well & scored goals for the club who has since gone on to manage high profile clubs at a good level and whose failures can probably be mitigated, at least in part, by Bolton, Wigan & Blackburn being utter basket cases. I'd have thought given the connection with the club and coming off the back of a divisive character like McGhee in charge then an appointment like Coyle would be one that would allow the club and the majority of the support to get on the same page. Would I be right in saying he was at the club when Craigan was coming through as well?

Having said all that, there's no indication that he's actually interested in the job and whichever way you slice it going from managing Blackburn in the English Championship and the associated wage to Motherwell in the Scottish Premiership is a pretty big step down (said with all due respect to our club!)

Blackburn Rovers fan in peace - avoid Owen Coyle at all cost an absolutely terrible manager, players here complained his training was lax no tactical and very little fitness work done. The guy doesn't have a plan A let alone a plan B really poor use of subs no game management etc, that's before you have to listen to his disproportionately excuse-ridden, unfoundedly optimistic but hollow psycho-babble blether. Nothing to do with his Burnley connections he is just a really poor failed manager who best days are long behind him.

We are a shambles of a football club and Owen Coyle mirrored that, he got the gig as he offered to work on less than half of what the club was preparing to offer Warnock the guys a desperado I wouldn't wish on anyone.

As long as it isn't Craig Brown, Terry Butcher (no disrespect intended) or Malpish.

Whatever people thought about Craig Brown he came in and sorted out the defence and made us hard to beat. Thats what we need right now,from whoever takes over.

• Like 1

What have I missed about him as to why Lee McCulloch's name is even being mentioned? I don't get it.

The media loves to throw names about for any vacancy. Ex-OF player with Motherwell connections? He must be a favourite etc. etc.

Blackburn Rovers fan in peace - avoid Owen Coyle at all cost an absolutely terrible manager, players here complained his training was lax no tactical and very little fitness work done. The guy doesn't have a plan A let alone a plan B really poor use of subs no game management etc, that's before you have to listen to his disproportionately excuse-ridden, unfoundedly optimistic but hollow psycho-babble blether. Nothing to do with his Burnley connections he is just a really poor failed manager who best days are long behind him.

We are a shambles of a football club and Owen Coyle mirrored that, he got the gig as he offered to work on less than half of what the club was preparing to offer Warnock the guys a desperado I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Cheers for the reply.

That's pretty much the impression I got from reading the Blackburn forums and I imagine it'd be echoed by Bolton and Wigan fans as well. I think it's safe to say it's a fairly sound appraisal of why it's unlikely he'll be in for a shout for another halfway decent gig in England any time soon. His reputation seems to be absolutely shot. The one thing I'd say is that I'm not sure that the expectations of managing an English Championship side are comparable to us. For the reasons I mentioned in that earlier post I'd imagine he'd get a bit of time with Motherwell and we'd find out whether it'd fall on its arse or not.

I'd be lying if I said I'd followed Coyle's managerial career with any sort of attention so I've genuinely no real idea as to whether or not he's a good, bad or indifferent manager. Ultimately though, in the position we're in at the moment any candidate is going to have obvious negatives or at best question marks over their ability and very few "successful" managers in England are going to view a move from the English Championship to the Scottish Premiership as a logical career path;

- Robinson: assistant at Motherwell during the play-off season, binned by Oldham while they were in the relegation places in League 1. His managerial experience amounts to 24 games.

- Stubbs: managed Hibs at the point at which "Hibsing it" became a thing, didn't even make the Play-off final last season, also bulleted from Rotherham in the same league as Coyle. Did win the Scottish Cup though and made another final.

- Valikari - only managerial experience is in the Finnish leagues

- Davies - unemployable, paranoid maniac

so on and so forth.

Interesting to hear he got the Blackburn job by being willing to take the job for less than half of Warnock's salary though.