S Robinson Motherwell Manager

CoF

Tommy's great at squeezing the last ounce out of his players but this is because he is starved of resources. To be frank, in an age where image is all important, he looks a bit like Willie Ormand. I think he's an excellent manager and he could do well in the English Championship.

I'm still amazed by what Mr Robinson has done so far, so I'm sticking with him.

What if he was called Tom Wright?

Heehee!

Well, we know the answer to that one, don't we, Yassin?

I honestly think our football commentariat are the worst this side of Pluto. I listened to Kris Boyd damning The Moultster with faint praise on Radio Shortbread on Monday night. If the guy can score 18 odd goals a year with a club which was very poor the last two seasons, what could he achieve in a team that was firing on all cylinders?

Like MFC this year (so far)?

If we hold on to him for the season, faites vos jeux as to his total by May.

Take a bow Stephen Robinson . As he says fitness and effort are free and we can be the best at these things . His team reflects his personality . Drive, enthusiasm ,work ethic and desire . Well done the board for seeing that and having the balls to appoint him . What a breath of fresh air . This team win loose or draw are worth the admission money . Looking forward to games again . Was ready to chuck it after last 2-3 season but got the old mojo back again . Well done Mr Robinson

Likewise I was in the real danger zone that if you let it persist you walk away for good. I missed a number of games last season... first couple id make sure I could keep up with the score , next few I checked for full time results and there was actually one game I didnt know the score until Sunday lunchtime, I was so utterly disinterested.. I just couldnt stomach the utter dross we watched week in week out. I was watching guys who couldnt trap a bag of cement and couldnt pass 10 feet unobstructed. Our defence couldnt keep a pig out a close and all we heard in the media was how skint we were, nothing positive at all to latch onto. I renewed my season ticket for the 40th consecutive year under real duress. Robinsons early signings make me think twice and the fact he was offloading guys Id never let hold the jersey never mind wear it made me think twice.

My god what a difference 4 months makes.. I know its early days and we will have our downs but at least we are getting some ups. I have been thoroughly entertained in every game so far (St Johnstone excluded cos I was in Rome) and even at Easter Road had we lost it I'd still have felt the team gave their all and was worth my time and money. I have despaired for nearly 40 yrs to have one of the "big Teams" humbled at Fir Park in a rip roaring cup tie... thinking Id never see it again. For the oldies, games like the 3-2 Scottish Cup tie against Celtic at Fir Park in the 70s , Tommy Coyne 1-0 against Celtic again at Fir Park in the cup in the 90s were fading into ancient history and I was always jealous watching teams who had absolute stonking cup games at home. All we've seemed to have is 20 / 30 years of abject Fir Park failure in the cups against the big teams.

Right now its seems every miserable cloud we've had has been rolled back a bit and its fuckin magic. Thanks Mr Robinson ... and he never ever gets his excuses in early, like nearly ever other bugger in the job.

** and this will be the year that will let me go to my grave having seen Motherwell turf Rangers out a Cup

• Like 1

It's really the first time I've questioned Robbo's subs. I thought we fell away when the double change was made. Fisher didn't appear to do anything or indeed get involved in anything positive during his cameo. The less said about Frear's cut back to no one with a runner in the 6 yard box the better.

I don't think Robbo can be questioned for that.

When I saw the bench before ko I was impressed by its strength and attacking capability. It was a bold and positive move to bring two forward players at a time when things needed changing.

The manager can't be faulted if the players don't make the impact the manager and every one of us expected them to.

Although we lost, yesterday was a milestone in that we forced the supposed free playing all conquering Aberdeen to change how they play in respond to the threat we posed. But for a bit of luck, we would have taken points from them.

That is all due to the manager.

• Like 1

It's really the first time I've questioned Robbo's subs. I thought we fell away when the double change was made. Fisher didn't appear to do anything or indeed get involved in anything positive during his cameo. The less said about Frear's cut back to no one with a runner in the 6 yard box the better.

What changes would you have made?

Fisher didnt have the impact we all hoped, however Robinson brought on a guy who proved last season that he can scores at this level. His change made sense when Bowman was absolutely done.

As for Frear - again, it made sense at the time. He's obviously not match sharp and in fairness - when a winger is running at pace they often don't have time to look up and find the perfect pass. I think the fact we only had one in the box was as much of a problem as his cut-back.

It's easy to criticise with the benefit of hindsight but to me, those changes were the right ones at the time.

"When a winger is running at pace they often don't have time to look up and find the perfect pass. I think the fact we only had one in the box was as much of a problem as his cut-back."

Very true CoF and Frear hardly got any service in any case. Logan's first tackle on him was a "takes ball and man" one that should have been penalised but of course wasn't. Every time Frear gets to the bye-line he's dangerous but I feel better coaching along with the strikers on angle of cross and their positioning would help. He gives us valuable width.

I've tried to believe in Fisher but he seems to be one of these strange big guys who's pretty hopeless in the air, and he was completely outmuscled by the MMs "robust" defence. he probably needs a goal for his confidence but I can't see where that's going to come from.

• Like 1

Agreed. I've questioned them before on occasion. Its unlikely that a manager is going to get them 100% all of the time. We struggled to compete in midfield for much of the game and Aberdeen soon worked out that apart from long high punts up the park if they smothered Cadden we'd have little left in our armoury. Yes, we're all wise in hindsight but the time to bring on Frear was when we were still on level terms and the game was a little more open ie just after half time, perhaps 10 minutes before we did. Those around us did mention bringing on Frear before half time, when it was obvious things weren't working. I'd have brought on Grimshaw for McHugh a god bit earlier as he would have given us fresh legs, aggression and energy just what we needed in a struggling midfield. Fisher for Bowman I wouldn't question as I think Bowman took a knock.

What the game did show was that we still don't have a big enough sriker or rather a striker good enough in the air to cope with huge defences. I, and maybe Robo, had hoped that Fisher was going to be that man but that isn't his game despite his height.

The team selection was always going to be a headache yesterday. Taking into account our injuries / recovery levels and trying to second guess what McInnes was going to do.

With hindsight Grimshaw might have been a better replacement for Rose to start with and continue to bring Bigi on later when the game was opened up, but apart from that would anyone have done different?

The Frear sub was exactly the right one. Just a shame that they scored before it was made. Pretty sure the half time talk would have been to give it everything and change around 60 mins.

The strange one for me was Fisher. It was pretty clear that Aberdeen were winning everything in the air. Trying to match that seemed futile as playing to their strengths. Big players hate having to turn and run in behind (see Cedric). I would have stuck Sid on and asked a different question. However, as I said, hindsight is always 20/20.

I want him replaced! The fucker is stressing me out big time.

I used to worry everytime we went 2-0 up that it was only a matter of time before the other team scored to get back in the game. NOW Im almost expecting us to carry on and win comfortably so Im worrying that Im not worrying about us being in the lead, it doesnt feel natural!

I'm worried that there is a huge scandal around the corner, like our pitch is made of asbestos, or the society is a Russian money laundering front, or that robbo will make a sub that loses us a game.

We'd recover from the first two, but the third scenario is unimagineable!