2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

3 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

If he can play left back and is a genuine left sided player then you’d like to think this is an improvement on what we’ve got.

With Carroll and McGinley injured, having to rely on right footed S’OD as our first choice left back wasn’t an enticing prospect.

Hopefully this lad will help solve that issue.

It sounds like we had other options we could have signed sooner but hammell was holding out for penney.i think odonnell had started the season well and done enough to stay in the team but we definitely needed another full back,having a left footer to provide the right balance on that side is always a good thing.

So effords and shields competing for right fwd? O’Donnell and McGinn for right back.  Actually might not be competition as much as one starts,  can go at it 100% and replaced by the other as they get tired, in order to keep up intensity ?  That’s what Hammel’s comment alluded to for his subs at Aberdeen. 

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

If this guy establishes himself at left back then I wonder who takes the right back slot. Both O’Donnell and McGinn have had great starts to the season. 

Play SOD right back and move McGinn in one. CH problem solved?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Sounds like a very solid signing and someone who the Ipswich fans speak highly of 

re McGinn / SOD we have options 

play only 1 of them 

play McGinn centre half 

push sod further up 

Beat me too it! :P

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Listen, if Stevie Hammell can't pick out a good left back, there's no hope...

How difficult can it be to find a left back that's better than McGinley or Carroll, who let's be honest have both been brutal anytime they played.

3 minutes ago, spudmfc said:

A rangers pal of mine told me it was 600K,more inclined t believe burrows..i think

We were getting £400,000 anyway from having one team in the group stage. Two teams took it up to £600,000.

It's just a shame we blew easy money on offer in our own qualifiers but hopefully Hammell takes us on a cup run to make up for some of it. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, steelboy said:

It's just a shame we blew easy money on offer in our own qualifiers….

I hate to go on about it but the club/board/manager screwed it up by not investing the initial €300K + the potential €400K for getting by Sligo on three better quality  players on £4K a week over the summer. We also had a better than budgeted finish last year which meant extra cash so it doesn’t make sense to me at all. 
This would have gave us a shot at €1M if we got past Vikings and potentially a decent season & cup run. 
Although, in general I’m a supporter of the board, on this occasion I’ve got to say I’m deeply disappointed. 

And if we spent that money and still didn't get past Sligo, then what? As well as smashing our salary structure and setting up a precedent where any new player would also want £4k a week (not to mention existing players demanding an immediate raise), we'd be stuck with a wage bill that was too big for an entire season and be dependent on qualification again this season in an effort to cope with it.

If we played Sligo this weekend, do you think we'd win over two legs? If so, then it's not the personnel that was the problem, it was the coaching.

• Like 3

On 8/19/2022 at 5:14 PM, Last post by: said:

Posting a photo of Blair Spittal with just his squad number (7) is a nod to tonight's 7PM tweet announcement. 

Will it be Snodgrass signing or will it be a mini documentary detailing the work that went into the summer pitch replacement?... 

TIMe WiLL TeLL...   :no:

Another cryptic post today of Callum Slattery. This time with just a magic wand. This is, of course, a nod to the magic number 3 and this afternoon's 3pm tweet announcement.

Will it be Snodgrass signing or will it be a mini documentary detailing the work that went into the summer pitch replacement?... 

TIMe WiLL TeLL...   :no:

2 hours ago, Stuwell2 said:

I hate to go on about it but the club/board/manager screwed it up by not investing the initial €300K + the potential €400K for getting by Sligo on three better quality  players on £4K a week over the summer. We also had a better than budgeted finish last year which meant extra cash so it doesn’t make sense to me at all. 
This would have gave us a shot at €1M if we got past Vikings and potentially a decent season & cup run. 
Although, in general I’m a supporter of the board, on this occasion I’ve got to say I’m deeply disappointed. 

Im far from in the know, so could be completely wrong here but I would be shocked if we are paying anyone £4k per week. Let alone adding another three at that level.

Agree that we’re not paying that but that’s my argument, if we did then the quality would be better which should(?) mean better results, better league finish and cup runs, which in turn would increase revenue. Add to that - hopefully- at least one of those players should be a sellable asset and I believe that it would become self paying. 
I understand that others would have their noses put out of place but by off loading others a slight increase in  their wages could be achievable, they would also benefit from win, cup run and finishing bonuses. They would also have possibly been playing European football for longer.  

• David locked this topic