2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

47 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

Again I agree with that but this year we had the chance of the extra money to try it without putting the club at risk. 

It is a difficult one to get the right balance. 

If a club with limited finances is going to invest £16k a week in respect of 3 or 4 players in the hope of success , that club  would probably want to tie those players into a decent length of contract. The hope being that the players can be moved on for a sizeable fee before their contracts end. Thus recouping most of the money paid out over the period.....or even better earning a profit . So maybe 3 year contracts?  Kelly springs to mind.  If the contract is limited to only one year then the players can walk for nothing and seek even higher wages elsewhere if they are performing well. So the investment could be for nothing, on or off the pitch. I doubt loyalty would come into it.

If the investment did not result in a cash windfall  from Europe,  or a domestic cup win, then a club could have a noose round their neck wage wise for the following two years at least. Committed to  around £800k a season for three seasons in respect of only 3 or 4 players seems quite a burden to me. And possibly for under performing players. Given that in our case it would have been Alexander recruiting those players, I am delighted we did not take that gamble.

And of course (as has already been mentioned) you have possible unrest within the squad at the wages being paid to a select few. Particularly if those on high wages are not contributing as expected.

1 hour ago, Stuwell2 said:

Agree that we’re not paying that but that’s my argument, if we did then the quality would be better which should(?) mean better results, better league finish and cup runs, which in turn would increase revenue. Add to that - hopefully- at least one of those players should be a sellable asset and I believe that it would become self paying. 
I understand that others would have their noses put out of place but by off loading others a slight increase in  their wages could be achievable, they would also benefit from win, cup run and finishing bonuses. They would also have possibly been playing European football for longer.  

There are never guarantees with these things, many a club has gone into administration using that logic,

43 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

Again I agree with that but this year we had the chance of the extra money to try it without putting the club at risk. 

Nah not for me, we've been down the paying big wages to average players road and it nearly killed the club. We are a well run club just now with a financial structure that means we are living within our means on the fanbase we have which is the only way to operate.

The model has served us well over the years ok no major cup wins etc but reasonably regular Euro qualification,  2nd and 3rd place league finishes, cup finals, etc so why break the structure that is working well.

Paying large wages to a few players only upsets the other players who may not be getting the same, and remember the poor players only getting 1 or 2k a week, that's a 100k a year salary.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Nah not for me, we've been down the paying big wages to average players road and it nearly killed the club. We are a well run club just now with a financial structure that means we are living within our means on the fanbase we have which is the only way to operate.

The model has served us well over the years ok no major cup wins etc but reasonably regular Euro qualification,  2nd and 3rd place league finishes, cup finals, etc so why break the structure that is working well.

Paying large wages to a few players only upsets the other players who may not be getting the same, and remember the poor players only getting 1 or 2k a week, that's a 100k a year salary.

I totally agree with that,the only thing missing has been a cup win but we have been unfortunate that we have met the old firm in recent cup finals,take st Johnstone when they won both cups,to play teams similar to themselves in they finals was a huge slice of luck.we have achieved more paying modest wages than we ever did when boyle was throwing millions about and paying big wages,trying to find some gems and bringing through our own youth players will always be the way forward for us.

6 hours ago, fizoxy said:

Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs and Dundee Utd all pay multiples of what we do, and it doesn't always work. We also tried it, and nearly died.

Because none followed the Lyon model,patience, good wages, buy early, sell under contract. The Rangers model of throw enough at it and see what sticks is unsustainable

On 8/26/2022 at 4:56 PM, Stuwell2 said:

Agree that we’re not paying that but that’s my argument, if we did then the quality would be better which should(?) mean better results, better league finish and cup runs, which in turn would increase revenue. Add to that - hopefully- at least one of those players should be a sellable asset and I believe that it would become self paying. 
I understand that others would have their noses put out of place but by off loading others a slight increase in  their wages could be achievable, they would also benefit from win, cup run and finishing bonuses. They would also have possibly been playing European football for longer.  

aberdeen,dundee utd and hibs players are probably on that type of money, its no guarantee, theres a lot of dross in scotland , even on decent money

I know we can’t possibly have tabs on every player that may be available for a loan deal from England, but it’s been obvious for quite some time that we badly need a left-back.   From what I saw yesterday, Kilmarnock looked to have picked up a very decent young left-back on loan from Aston Villa in Ben Chrisene from their academy side who has represented England at under-15, under-16 and under-17 level.

Wonder what players our scouting genius is watching? <_<

40 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

Frankly remember very little of him and on that basis, not for me.

Aye the the preferred method for some on here to judge a player,  i know feck all about him and never seen him play, therefore he must be shite.

People really need to get a grip on reality re the quality of player we can attract to Fir Park given our budget, loan signings, young players looking to develop their careers, lower league players we can take a punt on etc develop and sell them on for a profit. That's our market, its 5 games into a season, the transfer window is closing fast, so it's the free agents and last minute loan deals that are left, hopefully we can unearth a player that will  improve us, as we have done a few times in the past, so here's hoping.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I can't remember much about him except that he was fast and injured or unfit for a fair chunk of his loan. 

at least it sounds like we're trying to bring in 2 wide players - McKinstry up one side and Arrons the other with KVV in the middle.  

I honestly don't remember jack shit about his last time with us.  Heres hoping he's recovered from injuries and can maintain some team time 

Pretty sure he was rapid and loved a dribble and a step over.

Looking at his career doesn't seem he is going to get any better 8 mins football last year most time not even in the squad and a few times sitting on the bench doesn't scream to me someone that's pushing the boss to impress.

Huddersfield had a fantastic season last year to be fair but spending so much time not even in the squad be a no for me.

33 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I can't remember much about him except that he was fast and injured or unfit for a fair chunk of his loan. 

He signed for us on 31st January 2020 and the league was cut short on 13th March. That’s a period of 6 weeks where he had 7 appearances so I think you must be thinking of someone else.

• Like 1

• David locked this topic