2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

Folks wanted some deadwood out.

Some of the boo boys biggest targets are gone.

They wanted fresh blood in.

We have signed a CB, LB, attacking MF, Winger and 3 strikers (albeit one is now injured).

We still need that defensive MF and another CH, but Flow has stated there will be more announcements today.

Given the absolute negativity on here for weeks about how we are doomed under Hammell, how about we give the guy a chance and get behind the team until the end of the season?

The areas of weakness in the team have been identified. Hammel, Burrows and the board have done something about it. 

As supporters, we also have a role to play. That first win could be huge. Lets try and help it over the line tonight.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, joewarkfanclub said:

We have signed a CB, LB, attacking MF, Winger and 3 strikers (albeit one is now injured).

We still need that defensive MF and another CH, but Flow has stated there will be more announcements today.

Given the absolute negativity on here for weeks about how we are doomed under Hammell, how about we give the guy a chance and get behind the team until the end of the season?

The areas of weakness in the team have been identified. Hammel, Burrows and the board have done something about it. 

As supporters, we also have a role to play. That first win could be huge. Lets try and help it over the line tonight.

Well said sir 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

So alexander didn’t tell him he could leave in the summer before the jan window. Then following his purple patch he requested a new contract for £500 more a week which Alexander knocked back (clearly still happy to let him leave) and then he subsequently got a deal for double what he was on with utd?

He asked to get out long before Alexander was in the building. Whilst the conversation may have been had, the contract request couldn’t be further from the truth - no matter how many times you tell yourself.

21 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I've always said SH cannot be really judged until he has his own men. My criticism on Saturday was he had options yet played the exact same team the exact same way that has let us down time and again all season. His changes made a difference and I couldn't understand why he didn't start with that selection. He now has a number of his own players and the next couple of games will tell if things are changing. I still believe we need 7 points , 6 at worst from the next 3 games. I genuinely don't think we will get more than 2 or 3. However let's see . I sincerely hope I don't turn up at Fir Park to see an almost identical team to Saturday. Time for the faith SH has shown in some is over. I wish him well.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Great Post Joe . Hope the new signings give boost to players and fans alike.

3 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I've always said SH cannot be really judged until he has his own men. My criticism on Saturday was he had options yet played the exact same team the exact same way that has let us down time and again all season. His changes made a difference and I couldn't understand why he didn't start with that selection. He now has a number of his own players and the next couple of games will tell if things are changing. I still believe we need 7 points , 6 at worst from the next 3 games. I genuinely don't think we will get more than 2 or 3. However let's see . I sincerely hope I don't turn up at Fir Park to see an almost identical team to Saturday. Time for the faith SH has shown in some is over. I wish him well.

I think Saturday was a very specific set of issues.

Mandron got injured and Crankshaw was apparently ill during the week, so I guess they felt he would be better off the bench. That kinda forced them to play Sheilds, which would appear to have been everyones main bug bear.

Its the midfield that concerns me most as we just cant seem to get it to function properly with the players we have regardless of who plays there. Danzaki might change that, but his international clearance wasnt through so, again, limited Hammels choices.

Hopefully now the window is shut and the squad freshened/settled, we will see some different decision making.

It would be mind boggling if that were not the case.

People might doubt Hammels ability as a coach / manager. But he played nearly 600 games for us. He isnt stupid.

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Hopefully now the window is shut and the squad freshened/settled, we will see some different decision making.

It would be mind boggling if that were not the case.

People might doubt Hammels ability as a coach / manager. But he played nearly 600 games for us. He isnt stupid.

I certainly hope so although there are suggestions there's more to come.  I'll keep my powder dry as there's a possibility of a new central defender and defenisive midfielder.....time will tell later today about that. These areas have been critically weak all season and surely Hammel has seen that? As things stand at 10.36, the team  still looks unbalanced.

Hammy is certainly not stupid and was a loyal, model professional and is a decent guy, by all accounts, although I've never met him. Although he played nearly 600 games for us, he was never a great defender.  His strengths were his pace and drive going forward and his passing and crossing abilities. These were eyecatching and more than compensated for his lack of defensive ability.   

7 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

Any news on a CB, would have loved a CDM, but doesn’t look likely.

Id guess since Flow was still at work at 3am he is probably just getting up around now!

Hopefully more news this afternoon. 

Ideally we would want both those positikns filled, but Id take one.

If I had to choose it would be CDM as I think thats our big problem area and would take a lot of pressure of the defence, which hasnt actually lost that many goals in comparison with other teams.

• Like 2

Have the 3 stoogies been shown the door the answer is no so the deadwood is still here . You need midfield grafters and guile these three bring nothing to the party . Honestly if SH plays them tonight and we lose then sorry Stevie yer time is up 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Have the 3 stoogies been shown the door the answer is no so the deadwood is still here . You need midfield grafters and guile these three bring nothing to the party . Honestly if SH plays them tonight and we lose then sorry Stevie yer time is up 

Thats the kind of black & white nonsense you always serve up. I dont know if you mean it or are just constantly trolling, but ever thought there might be a middle ground?

Firstly, the board have just backed Hammell in the window with 7 signings and possibly 1 or 2 more to come. There is no way he is getting emptied any time soon, far less tonight.

Secondly, the 3 stooges, as you call them, all do have some ability. But the mix isnt right and their form / confidence has suffered as a result.

They shouldnt all play together tonight, and I doubt very much that they will. But until we see the final make up of the squad after today, I wouldnt be ditching any of them as we may need some or all of them individually at some point between now and the end of the season.

The whole point of this window was to give Hammy choices. Choices that until now he did not have and forced him to play players together that clearly you dont like/rate.

You are entitled to hold that opinion. But you never give an alternative as to what you would do differently.

Lets just see what happens tonight.

And PS, if you are just trolling for juvenile fun, well done, you caught a whopper!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Thats the kind of black & white nonsense you always serve up. I dont know if you mean it or are just constantly trolling, but ever thought there might be a middle ground?

Firstly, the board have just backed Hammell in the window with 7 signings and possibly 1 or 2 more to come. There is no way he is getting emptied any time soon, far less tonight.

Secondly, the 3 stooges, as you call them, all do have some ability. But the mix isnt right and their form / confidence has suffered as a result.

They shouldnt all play together tonight, and I doubt very much that they will. But until we see the final make up of the squad after today, I wouldnt be ditching any of them as we may need some or all of them individually at some point between now and the end of the season.

The whole point of this window was to give Hammy choices. Choices that until now he did not have and forced him to play players together that clearly you dont like/rate.

You are entitled to hold that opinion. But you never give an alternative as to what you would do differently.

And PS, if you are just trolling for juvenile fun, well done, you caught a whopper!

I’m a bit auld to be trolling so u can bin that thought . M8 these are my honest opinions I give on here , u say u wid keep them my reply to that wid be why . They have done nothing for the team and for me don’t deserve to be at FP . Some folk on here greeted Spittals signing like we had signed a player but history showed apart from 1 good season at RC he was a duffer . I would also like to think that Stevie had seen more than enough of the first team before taking the job and had an insight into who could be trusted . Like a lot of people on here I want Stevie to be a success but he keeps making the same mistakes yes it was a hard job to take on but as yet he has made no progress and time is running out 

I'm with Yoda here. When I go tonight, I sincerely hope I don't see the same three names in the midfield. That will put me on a downer right away. I hope Stevie can see what most of the support can see. Slattery was St Mirren's best player, he kept passing to their players. Goss doesn't track back to help the defence, and can't tackle anyway. Spittal runs about, but he takes too long to make decisions. So overall a not too functional midfield. We need another Alan Campbell in midfield, who will get in about the opposition and break up their play. I know it doesn't sound like it but I am a pretty positive person normally, and sincerely hope the new faces bring an upturn in our fortunes. 

22 minutes ago, Yodo said:

I’m a bit auld to be trolling so u can bin that thought . M8 these are my honest opinions I give on here , u say u wid keep them my reply to that wid be why . They have done nothing for the team and for me don’t deserve to be at FP . Some folk on here greeted Spittals signing like we had signed a player but history showed apart from 1 good season at RC he was a duffer . I would also like to think that Stevie had seen more than enough of the first team before taking the job and had an insight into who could be trusted . Like a lot of people on here I want Stevie to be a success but he keeps making the same mistakes yes it was a hard job to take on but as yet he has made no progress and time is running out 

Now thats a post I can work with.......

No one would argue that our midfield hasnt been dysfunctional. The problem we and Hammy has had is that without a transfer window he had to go with what he had.

He has tried Maguire, Cornelius, and your 3 stooges in various combinations. None of them were significantly better than the others.

We have brought in 1 midfielder in Danzaki and loaned out Maguire. So whilst the quality may have improved, numbers have not.

It would be suicide to jettison any further midfielders until we have replacements, particularly since the 3 you object to are all on decent contracts and will be in no hurry to go anywhere.

A decent DMF this afternoon would change the dynamic of our midfield significantly and allow Hammell to rotate on the basis of performance. That will also allow us cover for injuries / suspensions.

We should always be trying to improve our team, but it has to be done with an element of reality.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, yosemite sam said:

I'm with Yoda here. When I go tonight, I sincerely hope I don't see the same three names in the midfield. That will put me on a downer right away. I hope Stevie can see what most of the support can see. Slattery was St Mirren's best player, he kept passing to their players. Goss doesn't track back to help the defence, and can't tackle anyway. Spittal runs about, but he takes too long to make decisions. So overall a not too functional midfield. We need another Alan Campbell in midfield, who will get in about the opposition and break up their play. I know it doesn't sound like it but I am a pretty positive person normally, and sincerely hope the new faces bring an upturn in our fortunes. 

Not the part of his post that I objected to.

I too hope for changes in midfield.

It was the "showing the 3 stooges the door" without a thought for what that meant that got me......

It's pointless trying to have a debate with the yodler, he gets off on being negative, save your thoughts for someone who you'll get a reasonable debate with

• David locked this topic