Ross County v Motherwell now Tuesday 04/10/2022

SteelmaninOZ

21 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Or every cricket match (not cancelled at the weekend) or golf tournament (not cancelled at the weekend) or rugby (not cancelled at the weeked) or horse racing (not cancelled at the weekend) etc etc.

Nobody is saying there aren't legitmate reasons for cancelling games. What I am saying is that our league has a track record of poor management of these things (like some of the 'covid' postponement debacles with St Mirren and Killie) and they aren't showing any clearer leadership now. 

Nonsense. The football authorities have no power to override IF the police decide to cancel games because of staffing concerns. So their leadership is not in question over this issue. 

Those sporting events you mentioned went ahead after police approval and after earlier postponements. And they would not have gone ahead if the police could not have provided the security required because their officers were required elsewhere. As in Edinburgh yesterday had the Hearts game remained scheduled.  Police called in an extra 1000 officers from all over to deal with events yesterday. 
Cricket  matches, football matches, girlies championship boxing, golf tournaments  and horse racing were cancelled in England/Wales on Friday and the weekend as a mark of respect. Just as happened with our game at Dingwall. So to suggest other sports not governed by the SFA were not cancelled is just not true. Our lords and masters have history as you suggest, but to use this situation as a means to have a go at them is wrong. 
And as I type,  Premier League games in England on Sunday are cancelled or kick off times moved because of pressure on Police numbers given other events being planned for in London. Given your comments  I guess that makes the English football authorities as weak as our lot. 

• Like 1

First of all, I didn't see anything over the weekend about the police insisting all games in Scotland had to be cancelled, So put that aside for a minute.

If I was handling communication for the league I'd just be as clear as possible For example.

1. Police haven't told us anything.

Statement: the police are unable to confirm any plans for upcoming matches

2. Police think there may be some games that have to be cancelled, but can't say when or where

Statement: the police anticipate that a small minority of games may be impacted and we will communicate the details as soon as we have them

3. Police say they think games in Edinburgh or Glasgow may be affected

Statement: there is a possibility games in Edinburgh/Glasgow may be called off at short notice due to a restriction in police numbers. We appreciate this is not ideal and will try to give as much advance warning as possible

etc. etc.

No need for weasel words or finger pointing. Just clear facts, impact and how we plan to deal with the situation as it develops.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Will GSTQ be played? Will there be a minute silence? Would it be respected?

I wouldn’t condone booing during a minute silence, despite my feelings about the monarchy, but I would imagine not one ground in the country (Ibrox aside) will manage a full minute without a fair few boos. I’m of the opinion it’s best to just leave it.

I doubt either will take place.

45 minutes ago, weeyin said:

First of all, I didn't see anything over the weekend about the police insisting all games in Scotland had to be cancelled, So put that aside for a minute.

If I was handling communication for the league I'd just be as clear as possible For example.

1. Police haven't told us anything.

Statement: the police are unable to confirm any plans for upcoming matches

2. Police think there may be some games that have to be cancelled, but can't say when or where

Statement: the police anticipate that a small minority of games may be impacted and we will communicate the details as soon as we have them

3. Police say they think games in Edinburgh or Glasgow may be affected

Statement: there is a possibility games in Edinburgh/Glasgow may be called off at short notice due to a restriction in police numbers. We appreciate this is not ideal and will try to give as much advance warning as possible

etc. etc.

No need for weasel words or finger pointing. Just clear facts, impact and how we plan to deal with the situation as it develops.

All they have done is cover themselves in case the situation changes and the police end up short staffed. So taking their statement apart word by word is pointless. We all know what is being suggested without needing a Dummies Guide To How Football Games Are Staged. 
And I did not say the police asked for our games to be postponed. So let’s not push that angle. I suspect games all over were postponed as a mark of respect. And quite rightly so. Now each event is being looked at on an individual basis. As per London on Sunday.

I wonder if this debate would be taking place if there was no Royal connection.

2 hours ago, dennyc said:

I wonder if this debate would be taking place if there was no Royal connection.

Of course it wouldn't be taking place. Because, if there was no Royal connection, the entire football card wouldn't have been cancelled and many of this weekend's games wouldn't be off or hanging by a thread.

59 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Of course it wouldn't be taking place. Because, if there was no Royal connection, the entire football card wouldn't have been cancelled and many of this weekend's games wouldn't be off or hanging by a thread.

The point that is being ignored by the blinkered is that it is not just football that is/was cancelled, in Scotland or elsewhere.  It is not some royalist, SFA, police supported attack on the common Scottish man as some suggest. As for this weekend, if the Police are required elsewhere then sport will have to take a back seat for another few days. It is not the end of the world.  I would imagine all sporting authorities are trying their utmost to ensure as much sport as possible takes place over the next week or so. But it is not within their control.

The Country wanted to pay their respects. And that included many Scots as the queues in Edinburgh today show. Police resources are spread thin.  As a non Royalist that does not include me. but I respect and accept that the majority of the UK population wishes to do so, annoying and disruptive as that may be.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dennyc said:

The point that is being ignored by the blinkered is that it is not just football that is/was cancelled, in Scotland or elsewhere.  It is not some royalist, SFA, police supported attack on the common Scottish man as some suggest. As for this weekend, if the Police are required elsewhere then sport will have to take a back seat for another few days. It is not the end of the world.  I would imagine all sporting authorities are trying their utmost to ensure as much sport as possible takes place over the next week or so. But it is not within their control.

The Country wanted to pay their respects. And that included many Scots as the queues in Edinburgh today show. Police resources are spread thin.  As a non Royalist that does not include me. but I respect and accept that the majority of the UK population wishes to do so, annoying and disruptive as that may be.

Yeah, it's not the end of the world.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Most people don't realise just how thin Police resources are spread these days. I wonder just how many front line Police would be working in Scotland at 2345 on a normal Monday night?  

I used to date a copper about 10 years ago and on one Saturday night shift for the whole of the Falkirk and surrounding area about 4 crews so 8 officers max.So put in context how many people that is too each officer on one of the busiest nights of the week.

I also know when they have one of those G summit meetings with world leaders police from all over the country attend.

I would hate to think what it is now across all services.Folk don't really know the half of it.

10 hours ago, DYW said:

Funny how when a black persons on the ground there is a tonne of them

, Fife recently. in our country

I think the background to this story has been well documented and people can make up their own minds about the circumstances but this has no place in a football forum. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yabba's Turd said:

4 of them showed up after you posted. Would you like to read a highly censored forum? Or one where individuals are allowed the freedom to have their comments define them? 

The majority of comments have nothing to do with Ross County match if people want to discuss other topics them create them 

5 hours ago, Yabba's Turd said:

4 of them showed up after you posted. Would you like to read a highly censored forum? Or one where individuals are allowed the freedom to have their comments define them? 

The topic  should be about the Ross County  game only, if people want to discuss all of tbe political shite then create a new thread elsewhere for them and move all the irrelevant comments to that,  is that not what the mods are supposed to do?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not commented on this recently but bottom line is a 96 year old woman died, sad for the family etc but it happens every day, should the country grind to a halt over it, no it should not. Let those who want to pay respects etc do so but normal life should go on, have a minutes silence, wear a black armband etc but the football  games and normal life should go ahead.

I'm on holiday these 2 weeks and  so glad I am out of the country while this circus is going on the whole response is well over the top.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

On 9/12/2022 at 11:47 PM, Kmcalpin said:

Most people don't realise just how thin Police resources are spread these days. I wonder just how many front line Police would be working in Scotland at 2345 on a normal Monday night?  

Aye they are so undermanned there were only two Wayne McCouzens available to harrass this young woman across Edinburgh. 

• 2 weeks later...