9 minutes ago, wellfan said:

3-5-2

Kelly

McGinn      Sol      Lamie

Cornelius

SOD           Goss      Slats       Penney

Tierney

KVV

That's a damn fine formation and line up & makes the most of what we've got.  Would swap Cornelius and Slatterys position but overall a damn fine choice. 

I actually think we might give a good/better account of ourselves here, but it won’t be enough to prevent “Oh-ho-ho it’s magic” blaring out over Tynecastle’s fine sound system at full time as Hearts firepower will be too much for us.

4-2 to the men in Maroon.

Hearts at Tyncastle is often a tough venue to pick up points BUT... they've not been firing on all cylinders either. Won 5 games, same us ourselves. 

When we played well we got cuffed 3-0.  Be quite happy to not play to our full potential and take something from the game.

We're certainly capable of walking away with something.  Fair to expect  1 goal separating both teams. 

8 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

I actually think we might give a good/better account of ourselves here, but it won’t be enough to prevent “Oh-ho-ho it’s magic” blaring out over Tynecastle’s fine sound system at full time as Hearts firepower will be too much for us.

4-2 to the men in Maroon.

At least you'll be happy either way 

On 10/31/2022 at 4:15 PM, wellfan said:

3-5-2

Kelly

McGinn      Sol      Lamie

Cornelius

SOD           Goss      Slats       Penney

Tierney

KVV

This is what I’d play, but with one change being McKinstry for Tierney. 

If we are playing 3-5-2 why not play Sheilds throught the middle in his actual position? He has pace to burn and the one time we actually played him there he scored a sublime goal. Given that KVV likes to come deep and plays with his back to goal it would make more sense to play someone who will run beyond him than Tierney who would sit in the hole......

• Like 1

I'm just hoping that KVV doesn't continue to screw up chances for others, don't want him catching the hearts defender injury curse.

I can't see the team being much different from last week, as we don't have any other viable options up front. Shields at least runs, maybe something will bounce in off him.

I'd be surprised if we suddenly jumped to a back three at this point, it's kind of what I want, but really don't see it happening.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fizoxy said:

Shields at least runs, maybe something will bounce in off him.

I hate being over critical of our own players but after seeing him play against Queen's Park in a reserve fixture over a month ago that was a performance that convinced me he just doesn't have it and we have another year and a half to enjoy. That miss against Dundee United was something else.

Three points would be massive here, Dundee United are away to Celtic so you would suspect they will get pumped again, I like the idea of getting some daylight between us and the bottom and a few positive results will be most welcome before the World Cup kicks off.

Hearts are in action today, apparently they are having some injury concerns at the moment so hopefully come Sunday it's a struggle for them. We played really well at Fir Park but just couldn't get the ball into the back of the net, I wouldn't be surprised to see a repeat performance of last weekend.

8 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

If we are playing 3-5-2 why not play Sheilds throught the middle in his actual position? He has pace to burn and the one time we actually played him there he scored a sublime goal. Given that KVV likes to come deep and plays with his back to goal it would make more sense to play someone who will run beyond him than Tierney who would sit in the hole......

Some truth in that. Does KVV come deep because he likes to play like that; because he is forced due to being a lone striker without much support; or because thats his instructions?  I agree about Ross Tierney and think that Dean Cornelius would be a better fit to provide more support. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Unfortunately for Shields, he's been here for 1.3 seasons and continually shown us that he's not good enough for this level. That one 'sublime' goal does not make a premiership-level player. He has 1.7 seasons left to prove me wrong, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

Unfortunately for Shields, he's been here for 1.3 seasons and continually shown us that he's not good enough for this level. That one 'sublime' goal does not make a premiership-level player. He has 1.7 seasons left to prove me wrong, unfortunately. 

He has shown he isnt good enough to play wide right. Not sure you can judge his ability to play through the middle on that.

There have been a couple of bad misses, last Saturday in particular. But KVV has had more. He gets away with the criticism because playing through the middle he gets more chances to rectify it.

I can’t criticise his work ethic, always puts a shift in but by now I would have expected him to have pushed on and that’s not really happened in truth, maybe  just a level too high. I had high hopes of D Johnstone when he joined us, again neat and tidy and put a shift in but just a level too high. He’s now flying down south scoring goals for fun but at his natural level.

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Some truth in that. Does KVV come deep because he likes to play like that; because he is forced due to being a lone striker without much support; or because thats his instructions?  I agree about Ross Tierney and think that Dean Cornelius would be a better fit to provide more support. 

I get the feeling KVV just does what he wants regardless of instruction.

Having said that, I don't think he's cut out to be a lone striker. Much more productive when he has someone along side him.