Motherwell v Kilmarnock 23/12/2022

SteelmaninOZ

The game should have been over at 2-0 even before the sending off,it's results like this that will see us battling relegation this season.there needs to be serious questions asked why we're so consistently bad playing against 10 men.

1 minute ago, mfc said:

The game should have been over at 2-0 even before the sending off,it's results like this that will see us battling relegation this season.there needs to be serious questions asked why we're so consistently bad playing against 10 men.

Cos we have been shite for years

Sorry but Stevie Hammel is not cutting the mustered He’s had 5 weeks to work with this dross and try to get semblance of a team together BUT it’s still the same old shite Coner Shields should never grace a Motherwell jersey ever again someone please tell me what he brings to the party ??? As for game management what the fuck are we waiting till the 85th minute for changes ……… And don’t get me started with that 1st goal Comedy Central at its best wouldn’t see primary 7s defending like that.  All in all a complete and fucking shambles and there’s now way that I see Hammel getting us out of it !!!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

We have nothing about us. Teams can handle us when they are a man down because we pose no threat. It felt like our lead was more down to how poor killie were, because we were very pedestrian on the ball, and took the negative option every time.

Refusing to bring on subs until they were level was criminal. 

Hammell has three more games. Lose at Ibrox. Lose at Livi. Then lose at home to Hibs and he'll resign. 

No subs until 85 minutes. A fucking shambles. Connor Shields on for 90 minutes doing nothing but losing the ball and getting skinned. 

He got a pig in a poke with Arrons and Moult but at the end of the day even if Burrows signed them he's responsible and bringing back two busted flushes has killed his managerial career before it got started. 

Liam Kelly can go to Ibrox anytime as well. A kid on goalie who lets us down again and again. 

• Like 1

There was a lot of chat last season about supporters wanting to watch better football rather than grinding it out.

Well there you have it!

I'm not going to be too harsh on the team.  First half we were excellent, played some really good football and should have been more than 1 up.

2-0 and cruising and then we do what seemingly only Motherwell can do.

To be fair Kilmarnock didn't cause us much worries other than an OG and a wonder shot but you have to ask yourself about our fragility even in tonights situation and what does the footballing narrative say about what's happened in that match?

Kilmarnock were lucky tonight, we should have been saying a lot of good stuff about the performance but we have, let's face it, fucked it up in a spectacularly inept fashion.

2 wins in 13 now doesn't make great reading.  We are known as the Steelmen but although there was some good suff there tonight there wasn't much steel.

Right now it looks like we can have a good 70 minutes and a ropey 10 and not pick up 3 points and that's not exactly the formula for success.

We need to add a bit more robustness and savviness to what, at times, was quite good football.

• Thanks 1

We have a fragile defence and our current midfield offers little protection. 

not a new issue , been like this for over 12 months . 

I know we need centre halves but also believe we need to find a very decent holding midfield player who can help protect the defence and also help us hold onto the ball when we need to.

hopefully we’ve got some decent signings lined up 

Shambles of a second half. No changes until 80 odd minutes tells you all you need to know about this current squad. Hamell needs to learn and learn quick, should have rung the changes at the hour when Killie were creeping into the game. He clearly has no confidence in his bench.

1 minute ago, wellup83 said:

Shambles of a second half. No changes until 80 odd minutes tells you all you need to know about this current squad. Hamell needs to learn and learn quick, should have rung the changes at the hour when Killie were creeping into the game. He clearly has no confidence in his bench.

With all due respect this seems like a retrospective view.

I doubt many would have had us getting any less than 3 points when Power was sent off in the 68th minute and we aren't exactly the most optimistic bunch.

By the way we basically had 4 players with any first team experience on the bench tonight so I think it's fair to say his options were pretty limited.

Where to start with that…. 😞

Absolutely coasting at 2-0, then with the deserved red card for that thug Power it really did look like there was no way back for Killie. Obviously we had other thoughts! The lack of changes was baffling after such a long break. Not hindsight as we were screaming for subs at 2-0, Cornelius for Spital was a bloody obvious change to give us more legs in midfield.

Might be proven wrong when I see it on TV but think Kelly will be very disappointed with the equaliser, thought he should have saved the Polworth shot, despite how well it was hit.

The only positive to take away from tonight is that for the vast majority of the game we were better than one of our relegation rivals.

One man lost us that victory and his name is Stevie Hammell. Two nil up against ten men and it’s clear to see we need an extra man in the middle of the park to protect the defence and he does fuck all until it’s 2-2 at which point he takes off the wrong man. Dean Cornelius really must have said something really bad to not get in that team with his energy and desire alone. 

If that had been Robinson , Alexander , McGhee there would have been an out cry but old pals act Hammell is untouchable it appears . He’s out his depth - failure as academy director and failing as first team manager . 

Weeks to put something in place to shore us up and he still starts with the same formation and route one tactics and persists with the wage thief that is Blair Spittal. Don’t even get me started about Shields and Slatterly looks like he’s been eating out on Xmas dinners a month early with his lack of fitness and pace. 

Hoof ball and go narrow when Kelly has the ball is clearly a managerial tactic and it lost us 3 points tonight. Every corner floated by Spittal to the goalkeeper 3 yards out - it’s pathetic and pathetic that Hammell doesn’t have the ability to see a game out. Yes we have a poor poor squad but he’s not helping himself . Some might call it naive but it’s verging on arrogance. 

Wrong appointment and it’s going to cost our  club dearly . 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I doubt many would have had us getting any less than 3 points when Power was sent off in the 68th minute and we aren't exactly the most optimistic bunch.

By the way we basically had 4 players with any first team experience on the bench tonight so I think it's fair to say his options were pretty limited.

He only needed to bring one on and failed and allowed them back into the game 

13 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

He can take the ineffective shields off or/and the exhausted Spittal and replace with Cornelius or even Maguire to give us fresh energy in the middle in order to see the game out. By the hour anyone could see that Killie were in the ascendency and the manager did nothing. 

18 minutes ago, wellup83 said:

Killie were never creeping Into that game they were feckin brutal from the 1st minute, 2-0 up against 10 men, the game was won until we fecked it up, not a Killie  player near mcginn, the ball was heading out and he decides to head it wtf was he doing, as for their 2nd a good hit from Polwarth but ffs Kelly should be saving those, so 2 points dropped against a team that deserved feck all.

That's at least 7 points we have lost that we should have had this season, that would have us joint 3rd, absolutely shocking from us tonight, no wonder we are heading for a relegation fight.

10 minutes ago, couttsy said:

Hammell’s had a bad night tonight but Alexander is 100% to blame for the ridiculously poor squad we have. Need at least 2 players in during Jan that’ll improve the first 11 or we could be on our way down. 

Hammell had some say in the signings so it's not 100% Alexander's fault by any stretch of the imagination.  We need at least 4 players next month or we'll be in deep deep trouble. What's more Hammells had a few bad games now. Yes a rookie manager will make mistakes but he doesn't seem to be learning from them. Favoured formation and personnel are mismatched at the moment.

One possible small mercy this week  from a footballing, not financial,  perspective is that the St Mirren game was postponed until after 1 January

14 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

As Steven Craigan said its all very well playing nice football  but it's the here and now that matters. Not convinced that Stevie Hammell has what it takes to be a manager. Is he learning at all from his mistakes?

I love hammell as much as the next fan and would love him to succeed but right now there's a lot of naivity on show,I get he was chucked in at the deep end and he's learning on the job but we're witnesses the same mistakes over and over,were almost certainly going to end up in a relegation scrap and need to eradicate the mistakes before it's to late,that tonight isn't acceptable on any level,to be coasting against a poor side with a man less and only coming away with a point could easily come back to haunt us.i really hope hammell and the recruitment team have been working overtime to improve the team in January,we don't need anymore jersey fillers and players with dodgy track records with injuries 

26 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Killie were never creeping Into that game they were feckin brutal from the 1st minute, 2-0 up against 10 men, the game was won until we fecked it up, not a Killie  player near mcginn, the ball was heading out and he decides to head it wtf was he doing, as for their 2nd a good hit from Polwarth but ffs Kelly should be saving those, so 2 points dropped against a team that deserved feck all.

That's at least 7 points we have lost that we should have had this season, that would have us joint 3rd, absolutely shocking from us tonight, no wonder we are heading for a relegation fight.

Exactly we blew it big time,it was nothing to do with kilmarnock who were shite,that's twice we have dropped point from a winning position against them this season,it's not good enough.

Hammell was the wrong appointment. We saw tonight an experienced manager making the changes while ours dithered until 5 minutes from the end. At the very least we should have brought in an experienced assistant. Bringing back Moult, Aarons and Mckinstry looked like desperate measures by a manager who had very few contacts in the game having spent almost his whole career here. I have real fear that we will go down this season. 

• Like 2