SC Arbroath v Motherwell 21/01/23

SteelmaninOZ

4 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Over 2k motherwell fans I think. 

Aye im sure it said 2067 when the attendance was announced at the game,cracking support and atmosphere considering there hasn't been much to shout about lately, hopefully we see more of the same in the games coming up.

3 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Over 2k motherwell fans I think. 

Announced as 2,067 which is very impressive.

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

Our home strip is absolutely rotten.

We should be wearing this top or the white one for the rest of the season.

I’m not keen on the fluorescent kit despite its good cause and I am usually a firm believer of always wearing our first kit unless there is an obvious colour clash, but I would make an exception for this seasons horrific home strip.

Whoever signed off on that abomination should get their jotters. As well as not really being like the 1980s kit that it is supposedly a ‘throwback’ to it is just an awful kit to look at. Far too much claret and the trims and designs from the top and the shorts don’t in any way match or align. 

It’s just a shambles of a strip.

• Like 1

Poor game on a poor pitch, but we were professional and got the job done. Kelly very little to do, whilst we scored twice, had one (rightly) disallowed and forced their keeper into a couple of saves. Good to get a win and to see Mandron get off the mark, should do his/our confidence a world of good. Avoid defeat in Paisley and beat the other Saints at home and we’ll be back on track…..(even I don’t believe that)

Taking over 2k to Arbroath in the middle of Jan when we’re on such a bad run is mightily impressive. Was great to be on the terraces again!

1 minute ago, smiddy said:

well how did the guys  that went  to the game think blaney played ????  the report i got on him was heez a confident lad and quite vocal with organisational skills

Played very well, particularly impressive given he was playing right sided centre half. 

1 hour ago, MJC said:

I’m not keen on the fluorescent kit despite its good cause and I am usually a firm believer of always wearing our first kit unless there is an obvious colour clash, but I would make an exception for this seasons horrific home strip.

Whoever signed off on that abomination should get their jotters. As well as not really being like the 1980s kit that it is supposedly a ‘throwback’ to it is just an awful kit to look at. Far too much claret and the trims and designs from the top and the shorts don’t in any way match or align. 

Thought it was just me. In my darker moments I've rationalised that If we go down, at least we weren't playing in a proper  Motherwell jersey and it's all been a bad dream.

We have an unique,  classical strip yet we keep buggering it about. We should take a tip from clubs with a strong  identity (like Newcastle Utd.) and  do very little to mess it about.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MJC said:

When all the players have their backs turned to the East Stand I forget that we wearing our home kit.

That was a good win we were by no means outstanding but we played fairly well considering our form. Blaney should start evrey week he was organising evreything back there and there was no real threat to our goal. we need a Cdm goss is not the answer in that position god knows how hes still starting evrey week

For what it is worth:

Kelly: Nothing much to do, caught a 20 yarder which was straight at him and was fouled (possibly) at a cross which he dropped.

Johnston: Composed under pressure, made some good forward runs and linked well with the the forward players. Caught out of position a couple of times, but all in all a good solid performance.

Blaney: My MOM, won a lot in the air, comfortable with the ball at his feet and seems like a good communicator. Early days and against lower league opponents, but an impressive start.

Lamie: A man totally devoid of confidence.

McGinn: Got forward very when the opportunity arose and was generally solid playing on the wrong side. Was tending to drift inside towards his natural position as the game wore on though.

Slattery: Made himself available to the defence, but didn't do much when he got the ball, should do better.

Goss: One of his poorer performances.

Spittal: Worked hard and at least tries to play head up football. Unfortunately his main failings are pace and stamina but at least he doesn't hide.

Mandron: Took a short time to adjust to the pace of the game and the pitch. Did well enough though, some nice touches and linked up well. Plus two goals, the first one was virtually unmissable but he was in the right position. Seems a good addition so far.

Crankshaw: Looked ok on the right, but fell out of the game when he switched wings. Judgement reserved.

McKinstry: Looking better every week. Very unselfish at the opener and should have got on the score sheet in the second half.

Subs: 

KVV: Nice back heel in the build up to the second goal, stupid booking. He is what he is.

Cornelius: Did what he does, works hard and tries to get forward. Deserving of more game time IMHO.

Shields: Not on long enough to contribute.

All in all, better than I expected but we could have made it more comfortable if we had taken at least one of the chances earlier in the second half. Arbroath never really threatened but a clean sheet will hopefully give us some confidence.

Goss 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happy Dosser said:

We have an unique,  classical strip yet we keep buggering it about. We should take a tip from clubs with a strong  identity (like Newcastle Utd.) and  do very little to mess it about.

Our home strip should be a predominantly amber top with claret band and/or trimmings with predominantly claret shorts with amber trimmings. At the very least the top should be mostly Amber even if the shorts alternate to also Amber and occasionally white(although I’m not a fan of white shorts one bit but I know some are). 

I don’t know if we tried to be too ‘out the box’ with this seasons effort but it just doesn’t work. If it was actually like the 1980s kit with the Amber panel on the back as well as the front with claret numbers and the shorts design matching up with the top then it wouldn’t be so bad. But it isn’t…and it is.

4 hours ago, grumpy said:

For what it is worth:

Kelly: Nothing much to do, caught a 20 yarder which was straight at him and was fouled (possibly) at a cross which he dropped.

Johnston: Composed under pressure, made some good forward runs and linked well with the the forward players. Caught out of position a couple of times, but all in all a good solid performance.

Blaney: My MOM, won a lot in the air, comfortable with the ball at his feet and seems like a good communicator. Early days and against lower league opponents, but an impressive start.

McGinn: Got forward very when the opportunity arose and was generally solid playing on the wrong side. Was tending to drift inside towards his natural position as the game wore on though.

Slattery: Made himself available to the defence, but didn't do much when he got the ball, should do better.

Spittal: Worked hard and at least tries to play head up football. Unfortunately his main failings are pace and stamina but at least he doesn't hide.

Mandron: Took a short time to adjust to the pace of the game and the pitch. Did well enough though, some nice touches and linked up well. Plus two goals, the first one was virtually unmissable but he was in the right position. Seems a good addition so far.

Crankshaw: Looked ok on the right, but fell out of the game when he switched wings. Judgement reserved.

McKinstry: Looking better every week. Very unselfish at the opener and should have got on the score sheet in the second half.

Subs: 

KVV: Nice back heel in the build up to the second goal, stupid booking. He is what he is.

Cornelius: Did what he does, works hard and tries to get forward. Deserving of more game time IMHO.

All in all, better than I expected but we could have made it more comfortable if we had taken at least one of the chances earlier in the second half. Arbroath never really threatened but a clean sheet will hopefully give us some confidence.

Goss 

Great report grumpy 🍺

7 hours ago, grumpy said:

For what it is worth:

Subs: 

Goss 

I can think of at least 2, probably more,  unmissable opportunities we have had this season so will be a big help to have someone who doesn’t actually miss them. 

• Like 1

Yesterday was how I expected game to go and if was last year we would all be singing their praises. A few moaning again about same players and some of those players had big involvements in goals and cleared their main chance from corner over bar and also matched up to arbroath tackles yes there was no outstanding performances (blaney and johnstone gave ball away also and out of position) but considering our low confidence and importance of game we were well worthy of our win. 

We never looked in trouble although our midfield were caught on ball and put a few passes astray I would imagine the pitch played a big part on this. A  few other chances for mandron,mckinstry,van veen,spittal possible penalty from their goalkeeper that collum played advantage (why) and you can see we were deserved winners.

A concern was I noticed at end van veen was 1st down tunnel and I dont know if he clapped fans or not. He has also changed his profile picture on twitter from what used to be him in Well strip to just him. Might be nothing in it but Hammells interview after game seemed to suggest he was dropped/rested and not injured. I hope he is not away in huff as we all know his quality and when he came on he created and looked dangerous.

Him mckinstry and mandron could provide a good threat upfront.

Looking forward to draw and drumchapel or Elgin at home for me hopefully or failling that any other lower league team.

If we want to progress then we need to avoid Celtic, Rangers and Hearts. We pull any of those three and we would be as well asking to forfeit the tie straight away. 

The best draw for us would be a home draw against Elgin/Drumchapel or Linlithgow Rose/Raith Rovers. But Cup draws are never that kind to Motherwell.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Given our home form, personally I'd prefer an away tie. Better day out too.

I see what you mean but surely even we wouldn’t lose to Elgin/Drumchapel/Linlithgow at home? Obviously Raith would be a potential ‘banana skin’ but you’d like to think we would have enough against them?

But I would be much more comfortable facing Accies or Thistle away from home than I would be at Fir Park.