Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

Was looking at Kettlewell's managerial stats with RC. 44% wins as co manager, 29% wins on his own. His managerial time at RC spans 3 years.

I always felt that Jim McIntyre did a great job with RC. Remember the year Motherwell finished in the play of place, RC under McIntyre went on a fantastic unbeaten run in the second half of that season to pull them to safety. I think he  was sacked recently from ( was it Cove Rangers?)  but maybe harshly?

It will be interesting to see how Kettlewell sets up the team tomorrow evening and how the players respond. I'm sure I heard a quote from him about keeping the instructions simple. I wonder if maybe he has had feedback that Hammell paralyzed the team with instruction and over analysis? This is wild speculation on my part as ever. 

I remember listening to an interview with a Kilmarnock player on Radio Scotland back in October (can't remember who) that commented on the simplicity of Steve Clarke management style. He said it took a burden off the players and was the key to his success at Killie. He said that new young managers had a tendency to overcomplicate things.

Certainly Kettlewell would need to fight it out with Jim Goodwin for best groomed manager.  I think either of these managers could challenge Van Veen for the title of head hipster at the club.

5 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Every time we have a vacancy we receive applications from people like this (or agents applying on their behalf). Even if we were interested in them, none of them are remotely interested in working with a club operating under our financial constraints. I imagine they think we have OF budgets because they are the only Scottish teams they have heard of.

32 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Every time we have a vacancy we receive applications from people like this (or agents applying on their behalf). Even if we were interested in them, none of them are remotely interested in working with a club operating under our financial constraints. I imagine they think we have OF budgets because they are the only Scottish teams they have heard of.

I remember when Billy Davies got his jotters we got some mad CV's sent in that included Marius Lacatus and Walter Zenga, both of whom went on to manage loads of clubs.

I honestly don't know who I'd plump for the role but some of the names being banded about are depressing.

4 hours ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Just curious question to everyone do folk want someone until end of the season or someone more long term?.

I would prefer to appoint someone now that would also stay on if we do get relegated but I’m in the minority.

5 hours ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Just curious question to everyone do folk want someone until end of the season or someone more long term?.

The club needs stability so for me a longer term appointment is needed, somebody coming in who is prepared to stay, work with reduced budgets etc and finish the job, in case this season goes Pete Tong and we are relegated.

20 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

The club needs stability so for me a longer term appointment is needed, somebody coming in who is prepared to stay, work with reduced budgets etc and finish the job, in case this season goes Pete Tong and we are relegated.

The problem there is that the manager we'd perhaps want to try to bring us back up maybe isn't the same manager we'd want to take us into another premiership campaign if we avoid the drop.

I have a horrible feeling the board are going to completely fuck this up. Coyle, Kettlewell, McPake, Hughes, Ian McCall etc would be complete fuck ups and steer us towards relegation.

Speaking of McCall, Stuart currently assistant at Sheffield Utd. Would take him in a heartbeat.

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

I have a horrible feeling the board are going to completely fuck this up. Coyle, Kettlewell, McPake, Hughes, Ian McCall etc would be complete fuck ups and steer us towards relegation.

Speaking of McCall, Stuart currently assistant at Sheffield Utd. Would take him in a heartbeat.

Yes, many of the names mention are the cause of my midweek drinking.  The names mentioned are all horrendous. 

Stuart McCall did a great job for 3 years and then lost the plot.  Not sure it would work out long term but agree much better than what's been referenced. 

We've gone from headlining very credible managers Lennon/Lambert/Ross to the usual nonsense.  I rather hope it's all media made up bull swaddle. 

3 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Yes, many of the names mention are the cause of my midweek drinking.  The names mentioned are all horrendous. 

Stuart McCall did a great job for 3 years and then lost the plot.  Not sure it would work out long term but agree much better than what's been referenced. 

We've gone from headlining very credible managers Lennon/Lambert/Ross to the usual nonsense.  I rather hope it's all media made up bull swaddle. 

He must be making a good wage there. Heading to EPL, no way is he leaving there 

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

Totally agree. Under no circumstances must we consider any of these.

From this lot, the one that would worry me the most is Stuart Kettlewell. After he was sacked from Ross County in December 2020, nobody showed the slightest interest in him apart from the BBC and then right out of the blue he turns up at FP at the end of last year!

3 hours ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

Yeah I know he is his son plays for them a nice wee club. 
I thought you meant he was at a big club (A-league) Still you have to start somewhere to be a manager :biggrin:

COYW 

That’s what Hammell should have done

17 minutes ago, El Grew said:

Totally agree. Under no circumstances must we consider any of these.

From this lot, the one that would worry me the most is Stuart Kettlewell. After he was sacked from Ross County in December 2020, nobody showed the slightest interest in him apart from the BBC and then right out of the blue he turns up at FP at the end of last year!

Who is your choice and what if Kettlewell wins the next 2 games he spoke a lot of sense in his interview today, not saying he's a long term choice but as good as most of the names put forward. You do realise we will get a manager who's been sacked somewhere

4 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

Who is your choice and what if Kettlewell wins the next 2 games he spoke a lot of sense in his interview today, not saying he's a long term choice but as good as most of the names put forward. You do realise we will get a manager who's been sacked somewhere

Got to say kettlewell spoke really well in his interview .

not saying he’s right for the role - but he is in the role and be interesting to see how he sets the team up and who plays 

28 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

I know it’s an old cliche but talk is cheap. IMHO we should be looking at either Malky McKay at Ross County or Ian Murray at Raith Rovers.

• Haha 1

• David changed the title to Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread