Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

9 hours ago, weeyin said:

Jokes are funny. This doesn't even rise to the level of pun.

It's like someone has failed a word assocation test for "kettle" but keeps repeating it. 

Nobody felt the need to write "ham" every 4 words when Hammell was in charge, but "kettle" seems to have induced some sort of mass psychotic event. 

Maybe Derren Brown is recording a domestic appliance special I'm not aware of, otherwise I can only assume Russell Hobbs has paid some influencers to start posting on football sites. 

I'd rather watch Mrs Brown's Boys Kettle Special episode than see more random kettles on here.

This is a serious matter that deserves serious consideration. 

You might be on to something here. 

My 11 year old has been convinced since Hammell walked that Kettlewell would become the new manager because he has WELL in his surname 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Yoshi-1991 said:

Feel like its the lazy move. Granted 2 wins and playing better but the same happened when Hammell stepped in then the players just fell off. Doesn't mean it won't work but I feel very unenthused by it and feels like a cheap risk. 

OK some might call it the cheap option but in terms of who the other alleged candidates were its the sensible one. At this point in the season we can't afford the time for a new manager to get to know the club, decide what players he likes and doesn't like, sort out his own backroom team etc.

SK knows the club and more importantly the players and has got them playing again as the last two results show, that's the attitude and approach we need till the end of the season. The mission is to keep us in the premiership so when that's achieved the board can look at the post again if they feel they need to for someone to rebuild and stabilise the club going forward.

Oh and if SK is confirmed it's means we don't have an Arsehole like Holloway at the club.

Its not necessarily the cheap option as such.

If they don't feel the calibre of the other candidates is suitable, then its entirely logical not to hire them and to give it to Kettlewell until end of season or whatever and regroup.

I guess the Youth Academy aspect and what Kettlewell does after the season complicates it a bit though.

I don't get the whole cheap talk,whoever the new manager is will be getting the salary as the previous managers,it's not like we will be saving any by which manager we appoint.we have had to pay off two this season so we're hardly doing things on the cheap.

Objectively speaking, If Kettlewell applied at the same time as Hammell did, there is no way Hammell was a better option. I couldn't see how a guy who had never been a manager, along with a coach who relegated Albion Rovers and was sacked from Partick was the best choice. 

Aside from the usual new manager bounce, I think recent improvement is a chain reaction, starting with Kettlewell's interviews. It's been refreshing to see someone competent speaking to the press and telling it how it is and setting the tone. I wouldn't be surprised if this was part of what changed the atmosphere at FP against St Mirren, especially when it has felt like the club in general has been going off the rails a bit recently. 

As much as I loved Hammell as a player, he was so clearly out of his depth and definitely not great at speaking to the media. A few of them were downright painful to watch. He looked particularly rattled in his presser before Raith. If he was anyway like this with the players, it's not surprising the players didn't take to him. 

Kettlewell is maybe not the answer long term, however, it makes sense to go for the most risk-averse option at this point in time, especially if we're playing better, and stick with it until the end of the season. At the very least, it's been good to see some in-game management from Kettlewell and Clarkson. Hammell and Kerr legitimately seemed like they had zero idea what was happening 95% of the time. 

• Like 1

I couldn't give a flying shite how cheap he is the key to it is this he has the players performing and performing well think he has enough to keep us up.

End of the season or a year and a half contract whatever from the doom and gloom under Hammell and Kerr to this?I know what one I shall be picking everyday.

Mind boggles what was going on under last management team whatever it was must have been shocking.

• Like 1

I can hear what a few are meaning as in Hammell won 3 out of first 4 games but this feels different.  Look at the transformation in Spittal, Goss and KVV past 2 games plus the tweak in formation and even Kettlewell on sidelines when he is directing players and very animated, unlike Hammy and BK.

What I will give Hammell credit for is if he was involved with the signings then Casey and Butcher look great acquisitions and Obika with more games under his belt will improve same as young Furlong.

I would give kettlewell an 18 month contract and let's see how it goes. I think he has earned it with past 2 results 

2 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

You wanted rid of Hammell fairly early doors.

If its not Kettlewell, which of the other 2 do you prefer?

Personally, Im not enthused by either, so Id give it to Kettlewell, but only until the end of the season.

If he is able to maintain the run and keeps us up he gets it for longer.

Not sure about fairly early doors but certainly a good couple of months ago which I still believe should have happened. Do we know for sure there are only two candidates with the qualities the board feel are appropriate or is this just paper talk ? As with yourself I’m not over enthused by either of the individuals mentioned. If there are other candidates then obviously they need to be considered but it feels a little like last time with Hammell when the boards seemed to jump In rather early with a decision based more on the individuals background with the club than his ability to be a successful manager.

It was always going to be Kettlewell, rightly or wrongly. Some on here called it months ago that he would be our next manager if and when Hammell left.

I’d actually be surprised if the club have held discussions with anyone else tbh. It’s the way it works for us, we saw it when McGhee left and Robinson took ‘interim charge’ only to be appointed on a permanent basis a few weeks later. It was the same with Hammell on an even smaller timescale. Alexander being brought in in Jan ‘21 instead of Lasley getting the gig was the only exception to that rule in recent years.

I just hope that there is an agreement or clause between both parties that his long term position is dependent on us staying up this year.

Not convince Kettlewell is a long term answer but in the specific situation we in right now it seems like the sensible option, especially with the upcoming fixtures.  Not the time for a new broom to come in.

And I think our bump is more to do with the players own shame in how they had performed previously than anything Kettlewell did. 

Sometimes it takes something drastic to happen to get the collective to see and adjust.

I think that's what has happened here.  

4 hours ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Fair dues but the board can't win here....if they don't give it to sk now, they're would be an outcry 

Personally I am happy for him to get it to the end of the season, he can't do much more....he's maybe not the fashionable name but hes done above and beyond

He is benefitting from the players hammels brought in , whether hammel could've got the same performances , well never know

We do know - we played Raith.

Seems a bit like Groundhog Day to me if it’s true what the Rancid is saying that it’s SK job, however he has steadied the ship, he talks confidently and like others if the board give the caveat he must keep us up to stay longer then I’m good with it, we as a club can’t afford to make the same mistake we made with Hammy and I only just hope the Board get this right, but a lot has to go to the players who are now fighting for their own next moves, we have the next 3 games that will define whether we are relegation fodder or bottom 6.

We have to support SK if he gets it and just hope we get away from 11 n 12th spot fir the rest of the season.

CMYW

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Not convince Kettlewell is a long term answer but in the specific situation we in right now it seems like the sensible option, especially with the upcoming fixtures.  Not the time for a new broom to come in.

And I think our bump is more to do with the players own shame in how they had performed previously than anything Kettlewell did. 

Sometimes it takes something drastic to happen to get the collective to see and adjust.

I think that's what has happened here.  

So on that premis do you believe that Hammel would have got the past two results I for one do not. Its not players shame they have none.

I don't believe the last management team was up to the task i believe their lack of past managerial experience caught them out big time.

We have to remember Kettlewell has past managerial experience and been in our position before. Hammel had no experience i'd say lesson learned hiring rookie managers.

The Kettle is not the sexy appointment but i think its the best option atm and if he saves our season he deserves to start next season

I said at the very beginning I really didn't think Kettlewell was the answer. After the St Mirren result and then the result backed up by an excellent performance vs Hearts (we dominated the 3rd best team in the league) and after listening to how well he spoke after Hearts, I'm all for it. The only thing that holds me back is I felt this way about Hammell. He spoke a good game, we got a couple of very encouraging performances, and he was given the job.

I'm not sure if Kettlewell is the right man for the job, but I am buying into what he has done so far. Whether he ends up just being another Stevie Hammell (who unfortunately in hindsight didn't seem to have a clue), time will tell.

Also, you read a lot about players downing tools and trying to get the manager sacked etc, and I just feel like it's such a load of bollocks. The players were clearly very low on confidence and being lead by a manager who, despite being a club legend, wasn't a very good manager. Our tactics were all over the shop in the last few weeks and it clearly showed with some awful performances.

They have all said nothing but nice things about him since his departure (see Liam Kelly). A new manager coming in with a fresh approach and lifting everyone around them doesn't automatically mean the players were conspiring to get the manager sacked because they didn't like him.

If its confirmed that SK has got the job, I think that it's a good appointment, I have to say that after Hammell got the job I thought the board had fecked up big time, and after his inevitable sacking albeit a couple of months too late I still had absolutely no confidence in the board to make the correct choice again.

However if confirmed in giving SK the job they seem to have eventually woke up to the seriousness of the situation so fair play to them for that. People are comparing it to Hammell's appointment wrongly in my view, SK has experience, his game management is good, he is open to changing formation when required, you see him getting involved from the side as a manager should, Hammell and Kerr had none of these, and were so far out of their depth it was embarrassing.

Ive been very critical of the board for a catalogue of errors and not acting quick enough leading up to the Raith game but if SK is confirmed tbf I think the board deserve a bit of credit for appointing him to stabilise the club and keep us in the league. And if he does that and we have a decent end to the season then he deserves a longer term gig to take the club forward.

16 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

So on that premis do you believe that Hammel would have got the past two results I for one do not. Its not players shame they have none.

I don't believe the last management team was up to the task i believe their lack of past managerial experience caught them out big time.

We have to remember Kettlewell has past managerial experience and been in our position before. Hammel had no experience i'd say lesson learned hiring rookie managers.

The Kettle is not the sexy appointment but i think its the best option atm and if he saves our season he deserves to start next season

I take it that you dont think Kettle is a "sexy" appointment is because you also dont think David de Gea is not sexy.  Wonder if he can also play in goal? I do agree with others that Kettle talks a good game. I like that he talks about doing the "hard yards" similar to principles Robbo had. But Kettle appears to be more of a student if the game. And have more dimensions. Time will tell.

5 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:
  •  
  14 hours ago, weeyin said:

I hope it's McCann purely on the basis that I don't want to read any more kettle references. 

You'd have to be a total maddie to think they'll be no jokes about his name.......

Ah, got it - the implication was that I missed the dead wean joke.

I thought the implication was I didn't get the joke in the kettle posts.

Not sure if that's a whoosh or just a confused old man, but I'll take it as a whoosh BECAUSE I'M NOT OLD ENOUGH TO BE WRITING ALL MY POSTS IN CAPITALS YET!!! LOL.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MJC said:

Hear, Hear!

Opposing someone from joining our football club because of their political leanings, views or associations is very Celtic/Green Brigade type behaviour. 

Personally I couldn’t care less if we appointed the illegitimate love child of Ian Paisley and Margaret Thatcher, if he came in and did a good job for us then that’s all that matters.

Would you be OK with someone who said they hate black people, would never have a Jew in the team and gays should be euthanised? If not, then you also have a line you think that shouldn't be crossed. The challenge for anyone is where to draw that line.

We've set ourselves up as a club who serves the local community so it would be a bit incongruous if we hired a manager who was opposed to the causes and people we support.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Would you be OK with someone who said they hate black people, would never have a Jew in the team and gays should be euthanised? If not, then you also have a line you think that shouldn't be crossed. The challenge for anyone is where to draw that line.

We've set ourselves up as a club who serves the local community so it would be a bit incongruous if we hired a manager who was opposed to the causes and people we support.

Have you actually listened to the interview? Easily found on Youtube.

All they talk about is his family and the pressures of having 3 daughters who are profoundly deaf and a wife who survived cancer and the amount of house moves he's made to follow his career.

Absolutely no mention of politics at all so no clue as to his opinions on anything or his political allegiances.

I suspect the original post was nothing to do with Holloway and more about a dig at the person doing the interviewing.

Anyway way off tangent as it looks like Kettlewell has the gig and why politics should never mix with football.

• Like 1

I’m just hoping his methods work for our next two games also. After beating two of the better teams in the league this year we now have two games against poorer opponents. Can we still maintain the same mental and physical approach through these two games? Can we play as well against Killie and Ross County or will we get sucker punched? Defence needs to be switched on for the whole game, no gifts. Attacking wise we need to make sure we take our chances when they come along. If we go behind do we have enough confidence and belief to still win the game or will we crumble? If we can take 4 out of 6 points in our next two games I’ll take that. 

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

That’s quite an extreme take on it. Particularly in this instance where the discussion stemmed from a poster who was wary of a potential managerial candidate purely because of his supposed association with a political figure. Hence my response, that a persons political leanings should have no bearing on whether we employ them or not.

I don’t do politics personally so perhaps I am wrong about this, but I don’t necessarily think that just because someone votes or stands a particular way that it automatically means that they are racist, bigoted, homophobic. Again that would be an extreme view to take.

I wouldn’t expect the club to appoint or sign someone who had been known to say any of the things you mentioned, in fact I don’t think any football club would especially in todays world as that kind of talk and behaviour gets you nowhere in life. 

That said, a few years ago we signed a player who had a conviction for a serious assault and even promoted him to club captain. Did that fit in with the club ethos and image?

34 minutes ago, MJC said:

That said, a few years ago we signed a player who had a conviction for a serious assault and even promoted him to club captain. Did that fit in with the club ethos and image?

If you're talking about Declan Gallagher, I'd say it did because he often talked about how wrong it was, how it changed him, and showed some genuine remorse. I have the same thoughts about Martindale at Livi.

On the other hand, if we're talking about Paul Quinn's conviction for assault and subsequent behaviour, but still making him captain, I'd say that was a terrible decision and - if you can be bothered to search my posts - one I complained about on multiple occasions.

As I said earlier in the thread, there's politics and there's politics. I have good friends whose politics are very different from mine, but I have no good friends who are racist.

• David changed the title to Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread