Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

McKinstry got the Lionel Ainsworth treatment today when the manager comes running to the good player he's frozen out when he needs rescued. 

He showed more in 5 minutes today than Aitchison has since he arrived. A better manager would have given him a run out last week and improved our chances of winning today. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, steelboy said:

He got the Lionel Ainsworth treatment today when the manager comes running to the good player he's frozen out when he needs rescued. 

He showed more in 5 minutes today than Aitchison has since he arrived. A better manager would have given him a run out last week and improved our chances of winning today. 

Aitchison did more in 20 minutes than Mandron did in 70 so what's your point?

Just now, wellup83 said:

Aitchison did more in 20 minutes than Mandron did in 70 so what's your point?

Aitchison did nothing. He hasn't kicked a ball since he joined. 

I was talking about McKinstry suddenly being good enough for an appearance when the manager needs pulled out the shit. 

I would certainly play McKinstry over Mandron or Aitchison though it does appear that Kettlewell doesn’t rate him or doesn’t see him as part of his plans for the future.

The thing for the manager is though, if we do end up getting sucked into the playoffs or worse after having such a cushion then I’d argue that his own position would be untenable and he should be removed, so perhaps it might be an idea to play our better players while there is still a danger of relegation.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, steelboy said:

Aitchison did nothing. He hasn't kicked a ball since he joined. 

I was talking about McKinstry suddenly being good enough for an appearance when the manager needs pulled out the shit. 

All about opinions but I disagree about Aitchison, I think there is potential there and with a run of games could form good partnership with KVV

46 minutes ago, MJC said:

I would certainly play McKinstry over Mandron or Aitchison though it does appear that Kettlewell doesn’t rate him or doesn’t see him as part of his plans for the future.

The thing for the manager is though, if we do end up getting sucked into the playoffs or worse after having such a cushion then I’d argue that his own position would be untenable and he should be removed, so perhaps it might be an idea to play our better players while there is still a danger of relegation.

Jesus. One defeat and now we are back to getting relegated & binning the manager? Wtf.....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Big Stall said:

Jesus. One defeat and now we are back to getting relegated & binning the manager? Wtf.....

It’s all ifs, buts and maybes just now and while I would say that it’s unlikely we will be relegated it’s not impossible either. We had a chance yesterday to all but guarantee safety and at the same time land a psychological blow on a relegation rival but we didn’t take it and now things are a lot less comfortable than they could have been. We will be going into the post split fixtures on the back of two defeats, who knows if we have the character to bounce back after that? A lot will depend on our fixtures, who we play, where and when. We could easily be up at Tannadice in the first game after the split and you wouldn’t fancy us there.

As for binning the manager, again it’s all hypothetical just now but if we do end up dragged back into trouble and end up finishing 11th or 12th having had such a comfortable lead and the opportunity to seal our safety then I would definitely say it’s a sacking offence.

For me anyone claiming that we are safe now and that there is no chance of relegation is more deserving of a “wtf” response.

We will only be safe when/if we collect enough points that makes it mathematically impossible for us to finish 11th or 12th.

23 minutes ago, MJC said:

For me anyone claiming that we are safe now and that there is no chance of relegation is more deserving of a “wtf” response.

We are currently 8 points clear of 11th and 9 clear of 12th ( effectively 9 and 10 points with our goal difference).

That's 3 or 4 games killie and RC need to win out of 6 games left and us to take zero points from said 4 matches, 3 of which are against the bottom 6 teams and given the bottom 3 need to play each other so they cant all win,its not going to happen ie we are safe so the WTF response was fully justified.

Can we please stop the sacking kettlewell chat. Jeez!! The guy has transformed us past 8 games. Have we forgotten the Hammell era? Trust me ...I know the quality of jokes is dubious but we will totally fine this season and then can get squad amended and formations tweaked for next season.....COYW

• Like 1

Madness for anyone to be thinking of Kettlewell out after 1 bad result . Done an excellent job in my opinion in the last 8 games

More concerned about the likes of Graham Alexander putting Kevin Van Veen forward as being the answer to Rangers goalscoring problems .  No doubt they would want him for nothing 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twistandshout1983 said:

Madness for anyone to be thinking of Kettlewell out after 1 bad result . Done an excellent job in my opinion in the last 8 games

More concerned about the likes of Graham Alexander putting Kevin Van Veen forward as being the answer to Rangers goalscoring problems .  No doubt they would want him for nothing 

Re Alexander: thought the same thing. Thanks, Graham 😱.

Having read some of the panicky  commenters on SoL since the DU game, imagine if they were Arsenal fans tonight.

Meltdown madness!

On 4/15/2023 at 5:30 PM, steelboy said:

McKinstry got the Lionel Ainsworth treatment today when the manager comes running to the good player he's frozen out when he needs rescued. 

Are their any of our managers that you have liked? Ever? 

McKinstry hasnt been getting played as he doesnt fit into the system that got us 5 wins and a draw from 7 games.

He got on yesterday because we were losing and the manager had to try something different.

He hasnt been frozen out (unless you are ITK) the manager just had to pick a formation to save our asses.

I wonder if we are reaching an equilibrium point in Scottish Football where each season we will lose three quarters of the top flight managers. There has been seven stackings in the league already this season.

The trend seems to be going like this: the second place manager of  Rangers  and Celtic loses his job. Van Bronkhorst lost his and Michael Beale is probably only a couple of poor results away from losing his. 

Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen have set our their stall as the 3 rd place team in Scotland. Don't finish 3rd, you lose your job. Jim Goodwin and Robbie Neilson gone, Lee Johnston a couple of poor results away from losing his job. 

Then there is the safe haven of mid-table. St Mirren and Livi are sitting nicely in those spots. Martindale and Robinson must have the safest jobs in British football at the moment.

Then there is the 8th-12 th black hole. Get within 6 to 9 points of relegation and club owners/ directors  get nervous. Davidson at St Johnstone is the latest victim. Hammell and Fox are already ancient history. Will Mackay at RC and/or McIness at Killie keep their jobs if these teams go down? 

So only three from twelve teams (Celtic, St Mirren, Livi) have managers that can sleep easy at this time.

We hear that it is a result driven business. So what is the result that's driving the business? It is certainly not long term development of clubs or a nurturing environment for young players.

It seems like the owners of the clubs have no real notion of what the result or destination is. The vision is short sighted if it exists at all. Maybe the manager merry go round is just part of the entertainment package now. A side show as enthralling, if not more so than the football itself. Certainly the lust for blood seems to be shared by football directors and some supporters alike. 

That there is rumblings about Kettlewell after one poor results seems ridiculous, but it simply a reflection of the crazy world that football now inhabits..

There aren’t any ‘rumblings’ about Kettlewell after one poor result at all. One poster (myself) as far as I can see has given a view based on a hypothetical/if/maybe scenario. I think it is unlikely that we will be relegated from this position, even if it’s not impossible as some are suggesting.

If or indeed when we are mathematically safe then Stuart Kettlewell has done his job for this season and will deserve credit for turning things around from the dire situation we were facing just a couple of months ago. As has been said before, the difference in effort and workrate in certain players since Hammell left and Kettlewell took over has been night and day.

It's no wonder when most teams outside the OF have to do a major restructuring job every season. Sometimes it pays off sometimes it doesnt and when it doesn't it invariably costs the Manager his job.

When it does it probably gives him a stay of execution until the following season when we go through the whole process again.

What's the answer though, an increase in the size of the League means less money for the existing clubs probably meaning a poorer quality of player leading to even more pressure on the Managers.

No relegation giving them the breathing space to build a team and blood more youngsters knowing the threat of relegation is removed.

Would either scenario improve the product on the field leading to more exciting games or the complete opposite.

Who knows?

6 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

It will never happen but best thing to happen was old firm move south leaving us with a very competitive league and I genuinely believe bigger crowds. Chance of champions league and other European football, increased revenue. Anyway will never happen so we move on

I think the opposite would happen. We're already seen as bit of a joke outside Scotland. The OF drive a lot of positive attention , hence they have so much of the Vito rights in what happens. 

European positions would reduce in numbers and our players wouldn't go to any grounds bigger than c10k. At least playing the OF gives real time experience of playing much bigger clubs. 

The Scottish game has been a slow dying death for decades. OF leaving would be a final nail , suspect many clubs would go into oblivion. 

That's my cheerful view of it all :)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

It will never happen but best thing to happen was old firm move south leaving us with a very competitive league and I genuinely believe bigger crowds. Chance of champions league and other European football, increased revenue. Anyway will never happen so we move on

Hopefully the south pole.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

I think the opposite would happen. We're already seen as bit of a joke outside Scotland. The OF drive a lot of positive attention , hence they have so much of the Vito rights in what happens. 

European positions would reduce in numbers and our players wouldn't go to any grounds bigger than c10k. At least playing the OF gives real time experience of playing much bigger clubs. 

The Scottish game has been a slow dying death for decades. OF leaving would be a final nail , suspect many clubs would go into oblivion. 

That's my cheerful view of it all :)

Wellsince75.....news at ten.   😂😂

• Haha 1