Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

He’s succeeded where so many before him have failed in getting a league win v.Rangers. Butcher, McCall, McGhee, Brown all failed. Results like that are what makes all the shite ones feel worth it and are the type that live long in the memory.

Well done Stuart Kettlewell and the players.

3 hours ago, MJC said:

He’s succeeded where so many before him have failed in getting a league win v.Rangers. Butcher, McCall, McGhee, Brown all failed. Results like that are what makes all the shite ones feel worth it and are the type that live long in the memory.

Well done Stuart Kettlewell and the players.

Are you happy to accept we are not bottle merchants now?

😉😉😉

12 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Are you happy to accept we are not bottle merchants now?

😉😉😉

We certainly weren’t today, anything but. After 21 years of failing to beat Rangers in the league, almost 27 years without a league win at Ibrox and over six years since we last beat them in the LCSF I genuinely believed that we would never beat them, or Celtic, ever again. I dare say I wasn’t alone in that. 

But today we have and it was absolutely epic. After all the years of “they’re there for the taking” and “it’s the worst Rangers side since bla, bla, bla we’ll never have a better chance” and us always falling short plus the hard luck stories of last minute missed penalties, goals wrongly chalked off, cue the patronising and self assurance that we played well but were so unlucky etc, we have FINALLY taken three points and left them with nothing. 

Today was a long, long time coming and I hope that every Motherwell fan is thoroughly enjoying their night tonight. :cheers:

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MJC said:

We certainly weren’t today, anything but. After 21 years of failing to beat Rangers in the league, almost 27 years without a league win at Ibrox and over six years since we last beat them in the LCSF I genuinely believed that we would never beat them, or Celtic, ever again. I dare say I wasn’t alone in that. 

But today we have and it was absolutely epic. After all the years of “they’re there for the taking” and “it’s the worst Rangers side since bla, bla, bla we’ll never have a better chance” and us always falling short plus the hard luck stories of last minute missed penalties, goals wrongly chalked off, cue the patronising and self assurance that we played well but were so unlucky etc, we have FINALLY taken three points and left them with nothing. 

Today was a long, long time coming and I hope that every Motherwell fan is thoroughly enjoying their night tonight. :cheers:

I wasn’t allowed to like this post because I’ve liked too many posts today, a lot of them have been yours man 😂 what a weird and wonderful day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

On feckin Heineken zero tonight as on driving duty at dinner dance .  Will have a wee nightcap later watching sportscene.....cheers!!!

SK is da main man

told you he was the main man

In Kettlewell we trust 

21 minutes ago, MJC said:

We had bottle today yeah 😏

I’m delighted that Kettlewell is the one that gets the biggest of monkey’s off our backs and secures his place in Motherwell history. In some respects, today didn’t come as a huge surprise to me as Kettlewell has shown time and time again that he can set up a team to compete with Rangers and Celtic and today he got his just rewards. The fact we’ve done it against an ‘in-form’ and slightly cocky Rangers makes it all the sweeter.

He’s not had his challenges to seek this season and having battled his way through the budget constraints, the injuries, the loan-recalls and the off-field uncertainty,  I get the impression that he could go on to do well at a higher level. Whilst he came in for understandable criticism between Oct-Dec, the players never looked like chucking it. I think that speaks volumes for his credentials and I think that run itself will stand him in good stead for the future. 

In the meantime, he and his players have delivered the result I’ve wanted more than any other over the last 20 years. 

• Like 4

In Kettlewell I trust 

Even if we lose to Aberdeen in two weeks which I don’t think we will he deserves to lead us into next season as the last 2 months has been a positive for me , with the exception of Morton of course

10 hours ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

I’m delighted that Kettlewell is the one that gets the biggest of monkey’s off our backs and secures his place in Motherwell history. In some respects, today didn’t come as a huge surprise to me as Kettlewell has shown time and time again that he can set up a team to compete with Rangers and Celtic and today he got his just rewards. The fact we’ve done it against an ‘in-form’ and slightly cocky Rangers makes it all the sweeter.

He’s not had his challenges to seek this season and having battled his way through the budget constraints, the injuries, the loan-recalls and the off-field uncertainty,  I get the impression that he could go on to do well at a higher level. Whilst he came in for understandable criticism between Oct-Dec, the players never looked like chucking it. I think that speaks volumes for his credentials and I think that run itself will stand him in good stead for the future. 

In the meantime, he and his players have delivered the result I’ve wanted more than any other over the last 20 years. 

Hear here! 🧡❤️🧡

Any Motherwell Manager who has us better than 9th,  has the team playing for them and has some form of long term plan should be considered a good manager. 

Played 51 games under SK now 
win rate is 40%
draw 30%
losses 30% 

Fair to say most if not all Motherwell mgrs will lose 1/3 of games over their tenure. 

Appreciate we had a very poor run but no different to many other recent mgrs. Hammell, Alexander, Robinson, McGhee. 

I'm a firm believer that we need to get back to having stability with managers with a long term plan who we stick with, avoiding knee jerk decisions.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Any Motherwell Manager who has us better than 9th,  has the team playing for them and has some form of long term plan should be considered a good manager. 

Played 51 games under SK now 
win rate is 40%
draw 30%
losses 30% 

Fair to say most if not all Motherwell mgrs will lose 1/3 of games over their tenure. 

Appreciate we had a very poor run but no different to many other recent mgrs. Hammell, Alexander, Robinson, McGhee. 

I'm a firm believer that we need to get back to having stability with managers with a long term plan who we stick with, avoiding knee jerk decisions.  

Yup.

So glad the Board held their nerve in December when it would have been so easy to pull the trigger.

We are getting our just rewards now and if we can get/keep everyone fit we could have a strong finish to the season again.

People (mostly on twitter and FB, not on here thankfully) have consistently criticised every decision he's made without taking into account what's going on in the background.

If they thought about how many boots in the b***s he's had to contend with this season re injuries, budget constraints and last minute signing failures I wouldn't have blamed him if he'd walked away. Credit to him for walking out in front of the cameras and not trying to shift the blame when he got it wrong. People forget he's still learning the Management game.

No-one should have to suffer the levels of online personal abuse he's had this season from so called Motherwell fans. The same hypocrites now waxing lyrical about him in the same places.

Hopefully this win and recent performances will finally put to bed that he's "crap" the "worst manager in our history" "doesn't have a clue" (some of the nicer comments).

• Like 1

We'll never know how good Kettlewell could be unless we stick with him. We'll never know how good a new manager could be unless we sack him. Nobody has a crystal ball, but I'm for giving him the chance to make mistakes and learn, because I don't see where changing managers every season has got us, or anyone else.

• Like 2

I for one am absolutely loving the seethe from Rangers fans this morning over Casey's tackle.

Their wee boy got hurt by that big bad man and and and and that's just not fair.

Also, the fact they are conveniently ignoring the fact that McCausland got injured because he shat out the tackle and left his leg straight (which also planted high on Casey's leg 🙄🙃)... makes it all the more wonderful. 😁

I was in the SK should go camp and am happy to admit I was wrong. We did go on a horrendous winless run, which would have seen many a manager go but the Directors stuck with him. To be fair, he never lost the dressing room.  He's now turned things around and converted draws into wins in our last 2 games. Yesterday was the icing on the cake.

It now looks as though we'll be safe this year, although I've learnt never to take these things for granted until the final whistle. The summer will be a double edged sword for him. A lot of hard work and planning will need to go into rebuilding the squad for next season. The positive side is that he'll be able to pretty much build his own team due to the number of likely departures.  

38 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I was in the SK should go camp and am happy to admit I was wrong. We did go on a horrendous winless run, which would have seen many a manager go but the Directors stuck with him. To be fair, he never lost the dressing room.  He's now turned things around and converted draws into wins in our last 2 games. Yesterday was the icing on the cake.

It now looks as though we'll be safe this year, although I've learnt never to take these things for granted until the final whistle. The summer will be a double edged sword for him. A lot of hard work and planning will need to go into rebuilding the squad for next season. The posiitve side is that he'll be able to pretty much build his own team due to the number of likely departures.  

I was firmly in the 'keep him' camp, partly because of the way he got us playing last season, which looked like carrying on after the back to back wins against Hearts and Hibs. The St Mirren Cup game we were awful. Losing to Rangers and Celtic were both sore ones because we played really well and the league loss to St Mirren after playing them off the park and the loss to Livi when Miller got sent off just seemed to flatten the teams confidence. The bad run then just went on and on, but I think it was obvious that the players were still trying and working hard and there was absolutely zero sign of people 'downing tools' and all these draws (i understand a lot of them were games we'd think we should be winning) are ultimately what kept us out of the proper shit. These periods we were picking up 4 points and the likes of county were picking up 1. I'm delighted for Ketts and the players that we seem to be coming out the other side of it all now. 

I'm old and have seen many many bad runs with Motherwell teams over the decades. This one just seemed different, basically because we didn't have players walking about heads down and shrugging shoulders and clearly not caring. Onwards and upwards......

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

I'm old and have seen many many bad runs with Motherwell teams over the decades. This one just seemed different, basically because we didn't have players walking about heads down and shrugging shoulders and clearly not caring. Onwards and upwards......

I feel exactly the same, I like Kettlewell, ok his interviews are a bit turgid and buzzwordy but I feel like that when I hear anyone under the age of 40 in a management position.

i think he’s getting the best out of a bunch of average players. He’s also improving them as players and importantly, it’s obvious to see that they are working their ar5es off every week and not hiding. I’ll always forgive players limitations when I see that. (It’s also obvious SK works his ar5e off too and wants to succeed)

i think back on our so called better managers and they all had better players to deal with, more money to spend and I’m pretty certain none of them would have been able to get a tune out of this group of players. Yet under SK we still have a big chance of making the top 6 and at times playing some really good stuff.
I’m sure at some point it might all come crashing down as it does with every single other manager, but at the moment  he deserves a bit of credit. Good luck to him.

• Like 2

I'm glad he has pulled us through that bad run and proved many of us wrong. I wasn't calling for his head but I wouldn't have complained if we had sacked him.

For a club like ours, we can find our success by bringing people in and making them better, and that should include coaches and managers. Unfortunately that means we have to deal with the mistakes.

Results shouldn't be the only metric we measure a managers success on, and as someone said above, results and performances need to be taken in context.  At no point have I got the impression that the players weren't playing for SK, or that there was unrest in the dressing room, outside of having cage matches in training. There also wasn't that funk that sometimes kicks in (a la livingston) where they just accept losing.

This summer is going to be massive. SK has made his mistakes in recruitment, which he has hopefully learned from, and he has now got the squad to a place where he can really put his stamp on it in the next window.

• Confused 1

Not sure how likely it is but would be good if we can keep the core of the squad and add to it with some better quality. Not sure who’s on loan but would love to see Gent and Vale here next season. I Also like Halliday and Nicholson. I know we will have Miller and Bair. I think Miller will be a stand out next season. Need to see what we can do to keep Spittal

24 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Not sure how likely it is but would be good if we can keep the core of the squad and add to it with some better quality. Not sure who’s on loan but would love to see Gent and Vale here next season. I Also like Halliday and Nicholson. I know we will have Miller and Bair. I think Miller will be a stand out next season. Need to see what we can do to keep Spittal

I'd add Devine to that list.

34 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

I'd add Devine to that list.

The patter in the dressing room from him should be interesting on Monday.

Not sure we could get him permanently as he's quite highly thought of at Ibrox apparently and probably on a decent wedge but you never know, they might look to put him out on loan again and the prospect of first team football is a strong attraction (unless he's out of contract??)

• Like 1

I confess after Ross co away I said enough was enough but he has ralllied and Jan signings look really good now and what he has is a united dressing room who battle for each other.  He also brought in an experienced assistant in Frail and lets remember he is only 39 and still learning.

But I am not daft and guaranteed if we lose to dons in a fortnight then it will be back to ",aye.. flash in the pan"....yer rotten.....change required.

Ross Co need to win 4 games and us to get her haw for us to be in play off.  Ain't happening so let him get on with job

COYW