Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

Some good discussion about SK on P & B. Like a few others, I don't know what to make of him. He's clearly got something about him as he's a good man manager. Even during our long winless run he never lost the dressing room. He's also a good coach as we've seen with his nurturing and development of Theo Bair. 

However, he does overthink things at times and overcomplicates matters. At times his personnel selections are baffling, such as yesterday. He's not the greatest tactician in the world either. 

I just don't know what to make of him!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Some good discussion about SK on P & B. Like a few others, I don't know what to make of him. He's clearly got something about him as he's a good man manager. Even during our long winless run he never lost the dressing room. He's also a good coach as we've seen with his nurturing and development of Theo Bair. 

However, he does overthink things at times and overcomplicates matters. At times his personnel selections are baffling, such as yesterday. He's not the greatest tactician in the world either. 

I just don't know what to make of him!

I thought his initial team selection was cautious for a game we really needed to win if we were serious about top 6.  But then again SK stuck by defenders who performed well at Ibrox, SOD in particular. So a sign of that good man management?

I also thought Blaney was a bit unfortunate to be subbed although given the game situation we did need Gent's attacking abilities. But let's be honest, Gent did little to justify coming on. Devine contributed more on the other side.

I have no idea why Davor did not feature at any stage or why we did not take a punt on our new striker rather than throw on two youngsters against a team as worldly wise as Aberdeen.

Like you I think Kettlewell overthinks situations at times and also over complicates situations, such as substitutions.

Whilst recognising the apparent positive attributes noted in the comments above, we’ve gone for the budget option in Kettlewell so we need to accept having a poor tactician and decision-maker at the helm for now. Will he learn and improve? I don't know. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wellfan said:

Whilst recognising the apparent positive attributes noted in the comments above, we’ve gone for the budget option in Kettlewell so we need to accept having a poor tactician and decision-maker at the helm for now. Will he learn and improve? I don't know. 

We know you dont like / rate him but you mention SK as "the budget option" implying we could have afforded better, who did you have in mind ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

Outwith the Glasgow pair, is there any manager in the Premier League folk would like to have at Fir Park?

Well if the country is overtaken by a totalitarian regime and public executions at football grounds become the thing………..

4 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

Outwith the Glasgow pair, is there any manager in the Premier League folk would like to have at Fir Park?

mcinnes,    but i also seen billy davies in the crowd at dens park last week ,  his nottingham forrest gardening leave must be finished

Just now, smiddy said:

mcinnes,    but i also seen billy davies in the crowd at dens park last week ,  his nottingham forrest gardening leave must be finished

We might make it to more cup finals with McInnes. He's helped us into 2 already.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, smiddy said:

You putting that forward as a serious managerial suggestion ????

16 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

We know you dont like / rate him but you mention SK as "the budget option" implying we could have afforded better, who did you have in mind ?

It's not difficult to imagine that Kettlewell (and Hammell) was a budget option as he was promoted from within. It's also not my job to scout potential managers or forecast staffing budgets; that's the job of a CEO. Oh, wait...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, wellfan said:

It's not difficult to imagine that Kettlewell (and Hammell) was a budget option as he was promoted from within. It's also not my job to scout potential managers or forecast staffing budgets; that's the job of a CEO. Oh, wait...

I don't think anyone would disagree that promoting from within was a cheaper option. But whether that option was taken was for good footballing reasons or through financial necessity we might never know.

As for "it's not my job", that is just a cop out. This is a fan forum which opens up debate based on fan comment. You have plenty of views on a range of things so why not who we might have appointed instead of Kettlewell.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dennyc said:

You have plenty of views on a range of things so why not who we might have appointed instead of Kettlewell.

Cop out?! Come on. My view is that we should've learned the lesson during the Hammell debacle that promoting from within may be the cheap option in the short term but is likely to be more costly in the long term in terms of poor performances and the lost revenue that can lead to, and the potential gardening leave when it goes wrong.

I can hold that view without having to name an alternative manager. My alternative was to not promote from within, again, as that was a gamble that had already backfired, and now we have a manager who appears tactically naive and limited in his decision-making. 

And yes, a known quantity of a manager may also backfire, but they may have also taken us on some cup runs, or into the top six already, or taken us on a run of form opposite to the one we witnessed earlier this season. 

Some ambition would be good. That's an alternative. 

Personal view is he's the best manager we've had since McCall, which makes him the best in the last 10 years. 

Rate him above Barralough, McGhee, Robinson, Alexander and Hammell.  

Given we've reduced the spending, squad size and he's lost less than 1/3 of games, has a decent enough win record , has us 8th in the league. Plus seems to be a normal guy who cares, speaks well I'd put him close to McCall -who for the majority of time was excellent. 

He's made plenty of mistakes but appears to learn and move players on quickly.  

Add to that expect him to improve as he learns and grows. 

I'm really happy to have him. 

• Like 6

Just now, wellsince75 said:

Personal view is he's the best manager we've had since McCall, which makes him the best in the last 10 years. 

Given we've reduced the spending, squad size and he's lost less than 1/3 of games, has a decent enough win record , has us 8th in the league. Plus seems to be a normal guy who cares, speaks well I'd put him close to McCall -who for the majority of time was excellent. 

Completely agree. I think he's brilliant 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Cop out?! Come on. My view is that we should've learned the lesson during the Hammell debacle that promoting from within may be the cheap option in the short term but is likely to be more costly in the long term in terms of poor performances and the lost revenue that can lead to, and the potential gardening leave when it goes wrong.

I can hold that view without having to name an alternative manager. My alternative was to not promote from within, again, as that was a gamble that had already backfired, and now we have a manager who appears tactically naive and limited in his decision-making. 

And yes, a known quantity of a manager may also backfire, but they may have also taken us on some cup runs, or into the top six already, or taken us on a run of form opposite to the one we witnessed earlier this season. 

Some ambition would be good. That's an alternative. 

So not any suggestion then that folk could debate?  Very easy to pick holes in the Club's choice but unwilling to risk your own credibility by coming up with an alternative. Fair enough. 

2 minutes ago, dennyc said:

So not any suggestion then that folk could debate?  Very easy to pick holes in the Club's choice but unwilling to risk your own credibility by coming up with an alternative. Fair enough. 

Well the I know something you don't know re a new manager was spoken on here a couple of months ago. I saw more than one poster saying they knew who the club would appoint if Kettlewell left and someone said everyone knows who it is. I had no clue. 

My personal view is that Kettlewell might have been the cheap appointment. But he wasn't the wrong one. 

28 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Agree with almost everything, wouldn't put him ahead of Robbo as yet.   SK learning all the time and obviously making mistakes...... Saturday starting line up one of them.  But January recruitment looking not bad at all with Vale.... Devine..... Halliday and Nicolson all contributing.    Fact we were disappointed in Saturday as top 6 chances almost gone shows we have improved since end of last year when it did look bleak ....COYW

2 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Agree with almost everything, wouldn't put him ahead of Robbo as yet.   SK learning all the time and obviously making mistakes...... Saturday starting line up one of them.  But January recruitment looking not bad at all with Vale.... Devine..... Halliday and Nicolson all contributing.    Fact we were disappointed in Saturday as top 6 chances almost gone shows we have improved since end of last year when it did look bleak ....COYW

We were in free fall when Robbo left. He left for a reason. He did the right thing going. 

4 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

We were in free fall when Robbo left. He left for a reason. He did the right thing going. 

I should have said the early days of Robbo and the 2 cup finals.  Agree he definitely left at the right time