2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

It's that time of year - more than 2 months to go before the window closes - when the posts start coming in about how weak our squad is.

It peaks around the first or second game in the league cup group, when there's still 6 weeks before the window closes and teams are playing their fittest available 11 (five or six of which won't even be starters when the league campaign starts).

The structure we have now with league cup groups, and league campaign, kicking off well before the window shuts means you would think fans would know by now that the squad the first week in July will be very different from squads the first week in September.

Instead, you could cut and paste the same posts from 3 or 4 years ago into this thread.

I hope they don't really get as stressed about it as their posts make them sound.

Enjoy your summer, and your holidays, and then see where we stand squad-wise on the 2nd of September.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, weeyin said:

It's that time of year - more than 2 months to go before the window closes - when the posts start coming in about how weak our squad is.

It peaks around the first or second game in the league cup group, when there's still 6 weeks before the window closes and teams are playing their fittest available 11 (five or six of which won't even be starters when the league campaign starts).

The structure we have now with league cup groups, and league campaign, kicking off well before the window shuts means you would think fans would know by now that the squad the first week in July will be very different from squads the first week in September.

Instead, you could cut and paste the same posts from 3 or 4 years ago into this thread.

I hope they don't really get as stressed about it as their posts make them sound.

Enjoy your summer, and your holidays, and then see where we stand squad-wise on the 2nd of September.

Agree with a lot of that Weeyin.  Very early doors and still plenty of time to get quality in. 

Personally I don't rate either of the players we've signed and would have preferred to move on and find new players.   Here's hoping we can unearth a few gems. 

13 minutes ago, pretzel said:

Lots of chat today about Steven Fletcher joining us. He's just left Dundee United. 

Is he the type of striker we need.? 36 years old and never a prolific scorer. What kind of striker can we afford though?

44 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Defo, there is no way we could match what utd paid. Has made his fortune so hopefully could offer him something within our wage structure 

He's better than any of our present strikers so I'm all for it as well if within our wage structure. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2023 at 7:22 PM, steelboy said:

Money is tight already.  

Money in for KVV and his wage freed up, money to sign two duds last week. 

I didn't think they would play this card until at least August.  

Is money not always tight at a club like Motherwell ?

10 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

If he keeps himself fit we could easily get 2yrs out of him and jeez it's better than offering Mandron a contract.  Always looked good against us last season.    I know not many will agree with me but I would sign  him

Agree with this,as you say it's a better option than Mandron up front and if we can get a wage sorted to suit the budget he is worth a punt.

Interest from us and S tMirren apparently 

https://insidefutbol.com/2023/06/27/st-mirren-and-motherwell-battle-for-steven-fletcher-after-dundee-united-exit/608408/

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

Agree with this,as you say it's a better option than Mandron up front and if we can get a wage sorted to suit the budget he is worth a punt.

Interest from us and S tMirren apparently 

https://insidefutbol.com/2023/06/27/st-mirren-and-motherwell-battle-for-steven-fletcher-after-dundee-united-exit/608408/

Hope to fuck St Mirren win that race.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Hope to fuck St Mirren win that race.

Why? He's an experienced player who's played the vast majority of his career at a decent level, ok he's 36 but I reckon we could get another 2 years out of him if he stays fit, he a punt as are all the strikers we sign but he has at least some pedigree, which was more than KVV had when he arrived. If we can get him to sign on a wage that suits our budget, ie not a lot then it could be a good move.

Some good experience up front to help Obika, Efford, possibly Shields if he stays 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Needs to lose the man bun. Our success rate with man-bunned strikers called Fletcher is not good.

Although Dunne The Bun in his first incarnation  was ok as far as man-bunned LBs were concerned.

Maybe we could get SF to sport a claret &amber Alice band  instead (now sometimes called a Grealish). He's not a prolific scorer but his linking play is rather good and he's still pretty fit and mobile for an Auld Yin. I hear he  has earned eye-watering sums via his various transfers ablaw the dyke and  so he may not be too hard to deal with if he wants to stay in the SPL and play in a great strip 🤣.

We would then need a Poundshop KVV to play alongside him, of course.

23 minutes ago, Happy Dosser said:

Although Dunne The Bun in his first incarnation  was ok as far as man-bunned LBs were concerned.

Maybe we could get SF to sport a claret &amber Alice band  instead (now sometimes called a Grealish). He's not a prolific scorer but his linking play is rather good and he's still pretty fit and mobile for an Auld Yin. I hear he  has earned eye-watering sums via his various transfers ablaw the dyke and  so he may not be too hard to deal with if he wants to stay in the SPL and play in a great strip 🤣.

We would then need a Poundshop KVV to play alongside him, of course.

I agree Fletcher is a very clever player. The thought of him and Dipo Akinyeme up front next season has me salivating a little......

• Like 1

I’d be more than happy with Steven Fletcher if it’s a goer for us to get him. Even at 36 he would be an upgrade on our current striking options and he would bring a huge amount of experience and leadership to the team.

4 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I agree Fletcher is a very clever player. The thought of him and Dipo Akinyeme up front next season has me salivating a little......

Would certainly be interesting to see if Akinyeme can repeat his goal scoring exploits in the top division.

20 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Would certainly be interesting to see if Akinyeme can repeat his goal scoring exploits in the top division.

I know some will feel we had our fingers burned a little with Sheilds. But Akinyeme's record is substantially better and any time he wasnt available last season, Ayr's form dropped off a cliff.  Ive got a few Ayr supporting friends who rave about him. They all think he has what it takes to be a success in the top flight.

6 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Why? He's an experienced player who's played the vast majority of his career at a decent level, ok he's 36 but I reckon we could get another 2 years out of him if he stays fit, he a punt as are all the strikers we sign but he has at least some pedigree, which was more than KVV had when he arrived. If we can get him to sign on a wage that suits our budget, ie not a lot then it could be a good move.

Some good experience up front to help Obika, Efford, possibly Shields if he stays 

For me he's overrated  , he's 36 and will cost too much for what we will get out of him.

• Like 3

• David locked this topic