2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

In all honesty I don't think he's good enough either, was just thinking maybe playing with an experienced player might improve him.

Judging by your opinion I can assume you  think he is snow very good!! Lol

Hahaha, fair cop,  I've now corrected my snowy typo 😉 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

For a striker I have one single desire. Score goals.  Small, Tall, think, muscular I don't really care but scoring goals and not being a dick are really the only 2 criteria that matter. 

We sold just one like that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJC said:

Yeah if there is any chance of getting Steven Fletcher then we need to take it. I don’t know if we could afford him or even if he wants to come here but I think we should be looking into it.

As I said before our current striker options just won’t do and we can’t rely on Shields, Efford, Obika and Mandron(if we keep him) to get us goals next season otherwise we will be in trouble.

Mandron was out of contract at the end of the season.

There has been nothing to suggest that we are in negotiations to have him back.

I would have thought that the signing of Obika and the fact Mandron has not been seen during our pre season preparations means we are not pursuing him. 

14 hours ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Casey and Goss easily replaced KVV and Johnston think that’s where the issue is going to lay both were our quality players.

It could be the case that Kettlewell will give O'Donnell a run in the side. 

25 minutes ago, David said:

It could be the case that Kettlewell will give O'Donnell a run in the side. 

I do think this will be the case but I hope we continue having attacking wing backs SOD totally different player in that role his best position.

The left side will need to be addressed however McGinlay sadly isn't good enough.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

The left side will need to be addressed however McGinlay sadly isn't good enough.

I think McGinley, like O'Donnell, will fare much better in a back five. Pretty sure he only played as a traditional left back before his injury but looked quite good in advanced areas.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, weeyin said:

I'm not sure Goss is so easily replaced. We have struggled in the past to find midfielders that can pass a ball.

I agree.

Goss had vision and could pick a pass that few if any in the side would see never mind actually make.

Losing him is another blow.  We'll do well to pick up anyone in the Goss mould.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I agree.

Goss had vision and could pick a pass that few if any in the side would see never mind actually make.

Losing him is another blow.  We'll do well to pick up anyone in the Goss mould.

He gone for sure then? 

5 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

He gone for sure then? 

I suspect if he was going to sign the contract we have offered he would have done it by now.

His agent has clearly advised him there are better offers out there.

Fair play to him, if he can earn more money elsewhere, he has every right to do so.

I wouldnt be hanging around any longer waiting though.

Time to move on and get someone else in. Unless the plan is to develop Lennon Miller, but thats a huge gamble on the young man, and we would probably need another body in their as back up given we have lost Goss and Cornelius.

7 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Time to move on and get someone else in. Unless the plan is to develop Lennon Miller, but thats a huge gamble on the young man, and we would probably need another body in their as back up given we have lost Goss and Cornelius.

I tend to agree. I would like to see a lot of Miller this season but we don't want to be relying upon him. Paton is another body in midfield, but I'd like to see another. Maybe see more of Tierney but that would mean Spittal playing slightly further back which sounds like a bad idea given how well he's been playing further forward under Kettlewell...

• Like 1

The lack of even linking us with any players is frightening, our overall performance’s were brutal last season, we are now light a few bodies, fearing the worse as we don’t have the new manager bounce card to play anymore, we need at least 5 in, concerning…..

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

The lack of even linking us with any players is frightening, our overall performance’s were brutal last season, we are now light a few bodies, fearing the worse as we don’t have the new manager bounce card to play anymore, we need at least 5 in, concerning…..

SK referenced they're working hard. I'm cool with not knowing the discussions until we have signed.  Quite a few clubs are pretty quiet at the moment. 

Sadly we're falling down in the pecking order each and every year, we can't even compete with English D2. Which is a kick in the nuts but that's the reality of having 4-5k home fans and not much else to attract/create revenue.

We may need to utilise our youngsters short term in the cup and suspect will have loanees etc once the bigger boys have sorted their squads.   

55 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

There is time yet for us to strengthen the squad and we’re obviously working to our usual financial restrictions that we face every year. We will bring players in before the end of the summer transfer window, I’m confident of that at least, but it can’t be denied that as things stand there is cause for concern as the squad we have just now will almost certainly struggle in the league next season because it is weak at the back and up front. So any signings we make need to be absolutely bang on the money.

Take our time and hopefully get it right,we will most likely still be bringing in players right up until the window closes so we will need to be patient,thats a lot better than jumping in early and signing dross off the likes of partick thistle.

47 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Sadly we're falling down in the pecking order each and every year, we can't even compete with English D2. Which is a kick in the nuts but that's the reality of having 4-5k home fans and not much else to attract/create revenue.

Just to be clear that's pretty much true of all Scots clubs bar 2 or maybe 4 at push. We're no exception. 

Just now, Stevie73 said:

First new signing in the door today. 

Just remember, even if we're not being "linked" to anyone by lazy journalists doesn't mean the management team isn't working away and getting things done quietly.

• Like 2

• David locked this topic