2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

I'd be fine if we start the season with a back 3 of Casey, Mugabi and Blaney. I'd argue positional awareness is very much something you can coach, but it's easier if you play in the same position every week rather than the full back, centre back, wing back, striker positions we've asked Bevis to play in his rare starting appearances.

I agree Lamie and Mugabi in the same 3 doesn't seem to work.

8 hours ago, David said:

Based on what? Do we know definitively what the yearly wage bill is of Kilmarnock, Ross County, St Mirren, and Livingston?

Having a quick look at their transfer business, I can say that those clubs are signing players I've at least heard of and have Scottish football experience of premiership level. 

Kilmarnock have picked up Kyle Magennis, Matty Kennedy, and Marley Watkins while paying a fee to sign Lewis Mayo from Rangers. Ross County has signed Eamonn Brophy and Scott Allardice and has paid actual money for around five players. St Mirren signed mostly dross, from what I can see, but paid a fee for one of said dross players. 

And Livi has signed Mikey Devlin from Hibs, who I've at least heard of. 

The key factor in all of this is those clubs have someone, or a group of people, with actual money in reserve. We're fan owned. We no longer have that luxury.

And money will be wasted by Kettlewell also. It's the nature of the game at our level. Basically, throw enough shite against the wall and see what sticks. Take a gamble on five players and hope two or even three pay off.

So we have Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, and Dundee United as the largest top six clubs, most likely. 

Do we then come after those clubs as the next biggest? Depends on the criteria, I think. If it's based on money available, then no chance. As highlighted above, Ross County has paid actual money for five players this summer and has an owner worth somewhere in the region of £300 million. 

Even Dundee, although mismanaged of late, has been pulling in crowds similar to ours while they were in the Championship. They're also a city club.

I certainly wouldn't rank us as a top six or seven club in Scotland based on finances, or fanbase. 

See, the fans always say that, but do they really want that? I've mentioned a few times when we've all been discussing striking options that young Mark Ferrie has looked good in his runouts this season. 

But most fans don't want to look at him as an option. We're all waiting patiently for the club to announce another lower-level English league signing with single-digit goal return most seasons in their career.

Every mediocre signing we bring in on a six or twelve month deal is just another useless body who will see game time before someone like Ferrie does.

https://www.sportspayouts.com/football/scottish-premiership-clubs-wage-bills/

Not exactly the picture the club always paints. We are as competitive as nearly half the league in wages. To listen to the club you'd think we paid Championship levels.

Just now, FirParkCornerExile said:

Not exactly the picture the club always paints. We are as competitive as nearly half the league in wages. To listen to the club you'd think we paid Championship levels.

What makes you think some random website would have the inside information on player wages in Scotland?

8 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I find some of those figures hard to believe  especially Hertz and Aberdeen. St Johnstone were also splashing the cash for a provincial club. 

Even the report in that link says it's all guesswork

Since the data of players wage bill based on lowest and minimum reported back in 2020 and 2021 by “Scotsman” according to their figures, Livingstone, St. Johnstone and Ross County are lowest paying teams compare to other clubs, since the official numbers not out for any of the clubs but estimated figures based on players salaries from (Global Survey Sports) reports revealed.

The details for the Scottish Premiership club wage bills based on reported by the US and UK media outlets, official numbers clubs never share in the public

I'll run the risk of being bashed for not being overly excited about our forward signings, Im sure people will remind me that Hidgdon & Sutton came good. 

For clarity our new signing has scored 8 goals in his career.   
Higdon had scored +40 goals by the time he arrived.  
Sutton had scored 50 goals by the time he arrived. 

Appreciate some clubs work out better for some players but why we've signed another big tall target guy who hasn't scored goals is questionable. 

I really like what SK did last season, I like his formation, I like the brining in youngsters.  I really hope he has an eye for strikers. Obika, Wilkinson and Bair - be interesting to see if any of them can chip in with +10 goals. 

Well we've got the dud from Perth. Funnily enough it's very quiet about the guy from Arsenal.

Kettlewell is betting his managrial career on Bair, Obika and Wilkinson. It's a bold move.  

Edit - Just seen it's a two year deal. If this guy has the same agent as Paton then it's dodgy as fuck.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Kettlewell's comments on the website are unreal. He's an expert in talking pish yet he can't even find a way to praise Bair's footballing ability in the slightest. 

'Adds to our project', 'experience of playing in the league', 'only 23', 'improve our options'. 

Do you think he will get goals and win games for us Stuart? Of course you fucking don't.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I wish him well but Bair stood out to me as one one the worst strikers in the league to get any game time last season (Hiwula and Guthrie being the others).

Is it worth noting he's 6'3?

Aye 6 foot 3 and can't head the ball just like the other two donkeys. 

On the face of it, if he hadnt been at St Johnstone last year and come with negative reviews, this is the type of signing, I wouldnt have been enthused about, but would have thought, mmmm, wait and see. But given that St Johnstone had him and let him go doesnt really bode well. He is only 23 however, so Im hoping he cant be worse than Mandron and is a back up for Obika rather than someone to play alongside him.

If SK thinks he can make a player out of him I'll put more faith in that than the opinions of a few punters on here. Of course the usual suspects will be slagging him off before he touches a ball, but no change there.

You can't directly replace a player like van Veen. You have to set up differently and look for goals from different parts of the team.

Still looking forward though to steelboy's suggestions on strikers that meet his criteria that are available for us to sign.

15 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Still looking forward though to steelboy's suggestions on strikers that meet his criteria that are available for us to sign.

Trolls are like the climate activists and tree huggers, shouting criticism and negativity at anyone who will listen, but when questioned have no sensible alternative to offer.

As with all our signings, ie KVV, Higdon, Moult to name a few, Bair is a punt and time will tell if it works out, he'll be judged on how he performs at Fir Park and not his previous teams.

• Like 1

Just now, Spiderpig said:

Trolls are like the climate activists and tree huggers, shouting criticism and negativity at anyone who will listen, but when questioned have no sensible alternative to offer.

As with all our signings, ie KVV, Higdon, Moult to name a few, Bair is a punt and time will tell if it works out, he'll be judged on how he performs at Fir Park and not his previous teams.

Higdon was scoring goals for St Mirren. KVV had a good record and obvious talent, Moult was scoring for Wrexham. 

You can't compare this guy to them. This is Connor Sammon MkII.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Higdon was scoring goals for St Mirren. KVV had a good record and obvious talent, Moult was scoring for Wrexham. 

You can't compare this guy to them. This is Connor Sammon MkII.

I agree , it's one hell of a punt.  As you say KVV, Higdon, Moult, Sutton etc had all scored more than 8 goals in their life . Had he been an 19 year old never played before in the league then fair enough. 

Not writing him off but I don't believe it makes me a troll or whatever the the phrase is to share some doubt over signings.    

Just now, wellsince75 said:

I agree , it's one hell of a punt.  As you say KVV, Higdon, Moult, Sutton etc had all scored more than 8 goals in their life . Had he been an 19 year old never played before in the league then fair enough. 

Not writing him off but I don't believe it makes me a troll or whatever the the phrase is to share some doubt over signings.    

It was a specific Troll being referred to, not the well adjusted forum members so no insult intended

• David locked this topic