2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

3 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

As it happens i do, we have Paton as midfield cover so no need for additional signings to warm the bench.

Unless Paton's injured, as he was at the end of last season, and has been since starting against East Fife. Nearly a year without playing probably won't have helped.

Somewhat related to this topic. Who do we still have on injured list with target return dates? What players do we have that are prone to injuries. Of course, Butcher springs to mind for first case and Obika for second. I would imagine these would be the areas where we need the cover, although it is good to have squad with competition for places. 

Butcher, Paton, Obika, McGinley, Efford and to a degree Lamie & Mugabi all have had injury issues. 

Ideally suspect SK would move on McGinley, Efford, Lamie and Maguire to bring in fresh talent.  Having some quality in holding midfield seems an obvious gap. 

The challenge is who would want the afore mentioned players.  Possibly the Scottish Championship level but there doesn't seem to be anyone rushing in to snap them up.     I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up doing swap deals with StMirren - who also need to move out to move in.

26 minutes ago, wellfan said:

The marketing of Lennon Miller has begun. Thankfully, he's under contract until May 2025. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwAnyzno6tV/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Understandable and needs to be done, unfortunately from the point of us having him play for us is concerned. But he is (hopefully) our next big hot prospect and the ideal scenario for us is that we get a good year or so out of him before he moves on for a nice big fee.

5 minutes ago, MJC said:

Understandable and needs to be done, unfortunately from the point of us having him play for us is concerned. But he is (hopefully) our next big hot prospect and the ideal scenario for us is that we get a good year or so out of him before he moves on for a nice big fee.

Yep, the boy is class. 

• Like 1

I think miller has had opportunities to leave before but felt he was at the best place to develop and play a number of games before he eventually does leave.hopefully being in the first team and a sizeable jump in wages would be enough to get him signed to a longer contract,the boy is quality so we could be in for a big windfall in the not to distant future.

40 minutes ago, stv said:

Nah. We are a wee selling club , unfortunately 

Of course we are, but every time a youngster leaves we hear "we didn't do enough to keep him" trotted out.

Now, when we're telling them how good they are we're getting "touting him already" trotted out.

We just need "why didn't we get him to sign a new contract" for the full set.

16 minutes ago, steelboy said:

We will either need to bring in a replacement or Kettlewell will need to script a 15 minute monologue on Joe Efford's remarkable turnaround.

Can't go with just Mika and the two planks who started on Sunday. 

Planks a bit harsh pal.  I think Wilkinson is getting better and good movement for this goal.  It takes time to settle into a new team and get used to new players.

Fingers crossed they both come good and Mika continues where he left off on Saturday 

56 minutes ago, mfc said:

Its looking like obika will be out long term according to kettlewell,i wonder if we will look to bring in a replacement or go with what we have.

If Obika is a permacrock, I wonder how this affects the option of a further year on his current 1-year deal. Note that the MFC webpage (unhelpfully) states the following, with typos:

Signing a one-year deal, with the option of the a further year, Obika was the first to take up a contract offer ahead of the new season.

1 hour ago, mfc said:

Its looking like obika will be out long term according to kettlewell,i wonder if we will look to bring in a replacement or go with what we have.

According to SK:

Kettlewell says he’s not yet tempted to bring in a striker.

"We’ve not crossed that bridge yet,” he said. “To be honest until I can get the full extent and a time-scale, I certainly wouldn’t be looking along those lines.

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

If Obika is a permacrock, I wonder how this affects the option of a further year on his current 1-year deal. Note that the MFC webpage (unhelpfully) states the following, with typos:

Signing a one-year deal, with the option of the a further year, Obika was the first to take up a contract offer ahead of the new season.

FWIW I think Wilkinson was always a better options and more likely to be the first choice with Mika for the season.  His goal return is far superior and doesn't have a decade of injury worries. 

Obika was always a risk. People were quick to rip into SH for brining back Moult.  This isn't that different.  Appreciate hindsight goggles etc but this isn't surprising. 

4 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

FWIW I think Wilkinson was always a better options and more likely to be the first choice with Mika for the season.  His goal return is far superior and doesn't have a decade of injury worries. 

Obika was always a risk. People were quick to rip into SH for brining back Moult.  This isn't that different.  Appreciate hindsight goggles etc but this isn't surprising. 

Would prefer having Moult on the doctor's table instead of Obika, at least Moult might get goals when he is able to make a cameo

46 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Hearing some unconfirmed young Irish wing back rumours. Person who told me couldn't remember the name but said it wasn't Furlong. Anyone heard anything...?

5 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Plays for Northern Ireland. Dependent on shifting Lamie?

5 mins of interest there a fresh rumour to think about and discuss, then all hope dashed when we hear we need to offload Lamie first, no need to hold our breath on that deal happening.

• David locked this topic