2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

I don’t know anything about him other than someone on here mentioning he is a left back. So does Gent move into a more attacking role?

He was originally an attacking LH wing back but Celtic converted him to a LB according to a Celtic mate.

St Johnstone fans initially a bit mixed on him when he was on loan up there but most of them say they would have him back in a heartbeat as he was getting better as the season progressed.

Can get up and down the park rapid style so similar in style to Gent but apparently a bit better at the defensive side of things.

Don't know if our current system would be able to accommodate both unless we reverted to a back 4 which I can't see happening but who knows.

Our system relies heavily on wing backs getting up and down the pitch. Going into the second half of the season with just one lwb would be madness, as we need to account for injuries, suspensions, and substitutions. In Montgomery we now have competition/backup. We do have Wilson, but maybe we want him getting regular games somewhere?

Despite it coming up so often, I don't think we have ever used a combination of two fullbacks (one strong attacker and one strong defender) on one side, outside of an in-game issue.

• Like 2

nobody seen KVV outside uppercrust or the tesco express yet,  i thought i seen the boy messi coming out of tim hortons,   but i was wrong it was just a MESSY BOY ,,,,,, boom boom come on grizzly entertain us this dark cold winters monday night

• Like 1

I also want to know whats happening with KVV 🙄 Apparantly his Rangers move is out the window and theres not much being mentioned about going anywhere else. A return to us would be sensational but i know the chances of this happening are pretty slim 😕

10 hours ago, smiddy said:

nobody seen KVV outside uppercrust or the tesco express yet,  i thought i seen the boy messi coming out of tim hortons,   but i was wrong it was just a MESSY BOY ,,,,,, boom boom come on grizzly entertain us this dark cold winters monday night

Mrs Grizzly angry with me tonight as she says my life revolves around football and she is sick of it .    I said that is the cruellest thing she has said in the 27 seasons we have been together!! 😜😜

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

42 minutes ago, Chanzeypopz said:

I also want to know whats happening with KVV 🙄 Apparantly his Rangers move is out the window and theres not much being mentioned about going anywhere else. A return to us would be sensational but i know the chances of this happening are pretty slim 😕

Would be nice if he comes back but can we afford his wages?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Mrs Grizzly angry with me tonight as she says my life revolves around football and she is sick of it .    I said that is the cruellest things she has said in the 27 seasons we have been together!! 😜😜

Dinna faw oot wi she who must be obeyed 🫅😇😂😂

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I believe that Monty can play anywhere on the left hand side and is a converted winger. Has a bit of pace but is injury prone.

Halliday?????

I don't know a lot about montgomery but having him and gent competing for a place on the left seems a far better option that going with just gent and then shuffling o'donnell over when we need to,if we can bring in a right wing back that can come straight into the team that would be ideal.on halliday it would be a big no from me,were far too slow in midfield,we need some energy in there and not another player that is just as slow as our current options,he's only appeared for hearts 3 times this season and we're meant to be competing with accies and ayr for his signature,I would be giving him a miss.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Mrs Grizzly angry with me tonight as she says my life revolves around football and she is sick of it .    I said that is the cruellest things she has said in the 27 seasons we have been together!! 😜😜

Your not alone there mate, Ange has the same problem 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Chanzeypopz said:

Van Veen had a career best season last season, particularly since February when the team was set up to suit him. I'd have been astounded if he had anything like the same season this season and frankly I think getting a fee for him at his age was good business. We don't want this to become another Moult where every transfer window we have fans hankering for a player who is past his best...

Even if we had the money for his wages, I wouldn't be spending it on him...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Van Veen had a career best season last season, particularly since February when the team was set up to suit him. I'd have been astounded if he had anything like the same season this season and frankly I think getting a fee for him at his age was good business. We don't want this to become another Moult where every transfer window we have fans hankering for a player who is past his best...

Even if we had the money for his wages, I wouldn't be spending it on him...

If we have the money then we would be mad not to make him an offer.

He is better than anything we have, he is better than anything we can hope to get.

Im astounded by your thinking on this one???

However..............I doubt we can afford him 🙄

I can see both sides of that argument. On one side KvV had a terrific spell from February to May last season, heights he will likely never reach again in goal scoring terms. He is 32 years old and as far as I know has never had a season or a run like that before in his career. He is ‘on the pedestal’ with the club and the support now and it would be a shame to see him go the way of Faddy 2nd & 3rd time and Moult last season where he’s not delivering but nobody wants to admit it.

However the other side is that he is clearly a better option than anything we currently have up front and would give us something in the way of goal scoring threat for the second half of the season.

I would take him if we could get him on loan until the end of the season. I don’t think for one minute he would be as prolific as he was Feb - May 23 but he would get goals. I don’t see us being able to get him though. 

We're the 4th highest scorers in the league right now. We've conceded the most goals in the league.

I'm no statto genius, but if I had money to spend on the team my first focus would be to address the goals conceded.

Now that we have replaced Spencer, we also need to be looking to replace Slattery.

Maybe then we can think about a striker, but I imagine Biereth, Obika and Bair are going to be ahead of him.

As for KVV, I'm also one of the people who think we cashed in at a great time and don't really want to see him back. Loved him last season, but the timing of his move was perfect.

The "next season" stats for all the strikers who have great seasons and move on make for poor reading. I won't repost them, but if you're interested, check out Coyne, Moult, Sutton etc. (and of course Kev himself) to see. I think Higdon is the only one that ever managed double figures the season after he moved on.

Of course there's a chance he might recapture some of his form, but Kev being Kev, there's as good a chance he reverts to his more typical form of 7 or 8 goals a season.

If we're looking for a loan, I'd rather we bring in another young Biereth type.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, weeyin said:

We're the 4th highest scorers in the league right now. We've conceded the most goals in the league.

I'm no statto genius, but if I had money to spend on the team my first focus would be to address the goals conceded.

Now that we have replaced Spencer, we also need to be looking to replace Slattery.

Maybe then we can think about a striker, but I imagine Biereth, Obika and Bair are going to be ahead of him.

As for KVV, I'm also one of the people who think we cashed in at a great time and don't really want to see him back. Loved him last season, but the timing of his move was perfect.

The "next season" stats for all the strikers who have great seasons and move on make for poor reading. I won't repost them, but if you're interested, check out Coyne, Moult, Sutton etc. (and of course Kev himself) to see. I think Higdon is the only one that ever managed double figures the season after he moved on.

Of course there's a chance he might recapture some of his form, but Kev being Kev, there's as good a chance he reverts to his more typical form of 7 or 8 goals a season.

If we're looking for a loan, I'd rather we bring in another young Biereth type.

Totally agree. We're doing not too badly in terms of scoring goals but we can't stop conceding them so any money available should be spent on making us more difficult to score against.

27 minutes ago, Mortonhallwell said:

Totally agree. We're doing not too badly in terms of scoring goals but we can't stop conceding them so any money available should be spent on making us more difficult to score against.

A big Commanding CB is a must, someone who can actually win headers, Bevis just not good enough, then Midfielder and a forward player, done

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Have we replaced Spencer though.

Montgomery is supposed to be left sided same as Gent.

Or have I missed something?

• Like 1

KVV started ok in Holland, his team were shipping as many goals as us though so they hit a crisis solely based on their shite defence.

Just from following the coverage on Twitter it's pretty obvious his mental health problems flared up after moving back to his home country. He originally left Holland because of his mental health so it may have been difficult to go back. If we can get him back here where he seems to enjoy his football he will perform for us. 

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

Now that we have replaced Spencer

Have we? Surely Monty replaces Pape Souare? 

41 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Have we replaced Spencer though.

Montgomery is supposed to be left sided same as Gent.

Or have I missed something?

We haven't replaced Spencer, as Monty plays the same side as Gent and likely takes Souare's wage, as noted above. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Kettlewell were to fudge one of these two left-sided players into a right-sided position, much like he did with Spencer, but on the opposite side. 

When you're paid good money to kick a ball about you should be able to do it well with both feet. It's really not at all difficult.

8 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

When you're paid good money to kick a ball about you should be able to do it well with both feet. It's really not at all difficult.

By that logic, our highest-paid player (Kelly) should be played as a striker. 

• David locked this topic