2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

For those saying Andy Halliday could be a good addition... He's played less than an hour total all season. How match fit is he going to be? If we're only going to sign one midfielder this January, it'd be great if it could be someone who you think you're going to get 90 minutes out of more often than not. If your three first picks are Spittal, Zdravkovski and Paton, the back up is a guy who wasn't getting a game for Kidderminster and a 17 year old coming back from a long injury. Any of the first three get injured for a period, you need a guy who will be able to play evey week..

Halliday? No thanks...

12 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

For those saying Andy Halliday could be a good addition... He's played less than an hour total all season. How match fit is he going to be? If we're only going to sign one midfielder this January, it'd be great if it could be someone who you think you're going to get 90 minutes out of more often than not. If your three first picks are Spittal, Zdravkovski and Paton, the back up is a guy who wasn't getting a game for Kidderminster and a 17 year old coming back from a long injury. Any of the first three get injured for a period, you need a guy who will be able to play evey week..

Halliday? No thanks...

Unfortunately, this is the market we are shopping in!!!

January signings are generally loans,  cast offs, and people that aren't getting games elsewhere. We are not paying fees, so we are limited. They are also by their nature panic signings, which means clubs are going to pay over the odds because they have no choice.

50 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

When you're paid good money to kick a ball about you should be able to do it well with both feet. It's really not at all difficult.

You've obviously got the medals to back that up?

Kicking it with your good foot is difficult enough. 

1 hour ago, Mad Dog said:

When you're paid good money to kick a ball about you should be able to do it well with both feet. It's really not at all difficult.

The late great Davie Cooper done not too bad using his left foot prodominately.

12 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Have we? Surely Monty replaces Pape Souare? 

Celtic won’t be allowing Montgomery to come to us just to warm the bench and will be expecting him to play from the get go. As for where he fits into Kettlewell’s plans that’s anyone’s guess.

Like a few others I’m not for taking Halliday. No harm to the guy but he’s been a journeyman his entire career and at 32 he’s at the fag end of it. If Slattery hadn’t gotten injured we’d not be showing an interest. For me, the fact Livi, Accies and Ayr are the “others club” reported to be interested, speaks volumes and we should pass.

4 hours ago, El Grew said:

Celtic won’t be allowing Montgomery to come to us just to warm the bench and will be expecting him to play from the get go. As for where he fits into Kettlewell’s plans that’s anyone’s guess.

Like a few others I’m not for taking Halliday. No harm to the guy but he’s been a journeyman his entire career and at 32 he’s at the fag end of it. If Slattery hadn’t gotten injured we’d not be showing an interest. For me, the fact Livi, Accies and Ayr are the “others club” reported to be interested, speaks volumes and we should pass.

Yip a very wide berth on that Halliday thought 

16 hours ago, Mccus28 said:

Unfortunately, this is the market we are shopping in!!!

Nope, not having that as an excuse. There must be a suitable midfielder within our budget  who has played more than 60 minutes this season....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, yosemite sam said:

We keep hearing about the mistakes we make in recruitment, but it just shows it's not exclusive to MFC. Look at the mistakes Rangers made in taking Jake Hastie, Dessers, Lammers etc.

Aye the players mentioned will be gutted earning millions and not kicking a ball then having to move on for another signing bonus and excellent wage, good work if you can get it.

I get the frustration re the potential Halliday signing but we need to be realistic. We're not signing any regular starter in the January window. We simply don't have the funds to facilitate moves for regular, match fit players. Personally I think Halliday would be a decent addition. Providing we're not breaking the bank of course.

32 minutes ago, wellup83 said:

I get the frustration re the potential Halliday signing but we need to be realistic. We're not signing any regular starter in the January window. We simply don't have the funds to facilitate moves for regular, match fit players. Personally I think Halliday would be a decent addition. Providing we're not breaking the bank of course.

I don't want us to sign halliday purely on the basis that he wont offer anything that our midfield is currently lacking,we need fresh legs to get about the park not a 31 year old that's barely kicked a ball this season and thats as slow as the likes of spittal.ive heard a few folk say that halliday will get stuck in and he's experienced but if thats what we're looking for we would be as well going with butcher in midfield and either saving the money or spending it elsewhere on the team.halliday will likely be on a few grand a week at hearts so he's either going to be taking a big pay cut or we are going to be paying over the odds for him.if he signs he will get my full backing but it just looks like it will be another player in the squad the likes of shaw and obika that don't actually offer anything to our current problems.

Slightly concerning report surfacing that Championship side Sheffield Wednesday are keen to take Mika Biereth on loan. Would obviously require Arsenal to terminate his loan with us if they deemed it a better option for his development. Apparently they have done this before with loan deals, but who knows if they have a recall option. Fingers crossed this is just speculative journalism with no substance to it..!

Also looks like Curtis Main is signing for Dundee.

19 minutes ago, mothman said:

Slightly concerning report surfacing that Championship side Sheffield Wednesday are keen to take Mika Biereth on loan. Would obviously require Arsenal to terminate his loan with us if they deemed it a better option for his development. Apparently they have done this before with loan deals, but who knows if they have a recall option. Fingers crossed this is just speculative journalism with no substance to it..!

Also looks like Curtis Main is signing for Dundee.

The 2 guys Wednesday have already brought in were on loan elsewhere and had those deals terminated. There's no doubt they're playing at a higher level, so you could understand why Arsenal would think it's a good move, and I doubt we forced them into a watertight season long arrangement.

5 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Nope, not having that as an excuse. There must be a suitable midfielder within our budget  who has played more than 60 minutes this season....

Show me then!!

I have little to no faith in our head of recruitment so I doubt he will know either

5 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Decent players, who've been regular starters and played a lot of minutes tend not to be available in January transfer windows, and if they were we probably could not afford  them.

So as the previous poster said that's our market, players not getting a lot of game time for whatever reason who might be just what we need.

• Like 1

I'm not at all sure about Holliday either but perhaps a no strings attached contract or loan until the end of the season could work.

2 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

I'm not at all sure about Holliday either but perhaps a no strings attached contract or loan until the end of the season could work.

Knowing us, it'll be a no hamstrings attached contract.

• Haha 1

• David locked this topic