2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

1 minute ago, MelvinBragg said:

Do we now recall Ewan Wilson rather than look for another backup left back? Or are O'Donnell and Spittal going to be our backups out there..?

I think we have to......

2 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I'm afraid to ask... How fit is Nicholson?

Kettlewell said he wasn't fully up to speed but hoping to get 'something' out of him at the weekend. Also spoke about having to be careful with the new guys regarding possible injuries....

I’ve heard from someone at the club that we are looking at four strikers, possibly only bringing in one, four guys are mulling  over options to see what is best deal. Our luck we will get left with the worst of the four. Is the Montgomery injury true, if so we have zero luck.

1 minute ago, Stevie73 said:

I’ve heard from someone at the club that we are looking at four strikers, possibly only bringing in one, four guys are mulling  over options to see what is best deal. Our luck we will get left with the worst of the four. Is the Montgomery injury true, if so we have zero luck.

We'll bring in one in the next couple of days and one on Tuesday when the first one gets injured.. On a serious note, I think one striker isn't really enough. Obika has a hamstring tear so god knows when he'll be back. So it’s Bair and one other? 

22 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

On a serious note, I think one striker isn't really enough. Obika has a hamstring tear so god knows when he'll be back. So it’s Bair and one other? 

One in restricts us to a very predictable one up formation. We needs 2 strikers agreed. 

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

Got excited when i saw “hot topic”

now I’m scunnered 

Can you be scunnered in the states or are you not just really pissed.

• Haha 1

If we didn't have bad luck,we wouldn't have any luck,I would gladly see the back of this season the now.kettlewell said one of the main priorities in january was to strengthen the full back positions,I wonder if his hand will now be forced into finding another left back or move gent back there.

Montgomery getting injured is exactly why we can't rely on clearing out 6 to sign KVV - we need to sign 2 strikers so we have cover. The way this season is going we would sign KVV and he would do his knee in training. As much as I 'd like the big man back, we need depth.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, smiddy said:

think SK loves an injured player

As is well established, we're not the first pick for most players if they're looking for a club to join. So sometimes we gamble on a player that we think has slightly more quality even if they have an issue be it a patchy injury record, a couple of moves that haven't worked out, basically a player whose reputation has taken a knock. But it is a gamble and the club know this. In the last couple of years, with Moult and Obika, the gambles haven't paid off. So do you go for a slightly lower quality player who will always be available..?

1 hour ago, Stevie73 said:

What about the boy Lovelace at rangers, heard from a scout he is fast strong looks the part, but will never get in ahead of the guys they paid cash for.

I think he's injured at the moment.

9 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

As is well established, we're not the first pick for most players if they're looking for a club to join. So sometimes we gamble on a player that we think has slightly more quality even if they have an issue be it a patchy injury record, a couple of moves that haven't worked out, basically a player whose reputation has taken a knock. But it is a gamble and the club know this. In the last couple of years, with Moult and Obika, the gambles haven't paid off. So do you go for a slightly lower quality player who will always be available..?

I think that's a question that needs to be asked. Because right now I think Kettlewell can't do anything right when it comes to some of our fan base. 

17 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

Rumours on injuries have been on the mark up until now. If it's 3 months, surely he'll be back to Parkhead and the loan cancelled.

He's out for 3 months Apparently according to this report

https://www.thenational.scot/sport/24076895.adam-montgomery-suffers-brutal-injury-blow-motherwell-loan/

We've got Gent, Halliday and Nicholson that can operate on the left side of the team in various full back/wing back combos. O'Donnell can play there at a push too.

So while it would be a blow, it's not as bad as if we ended the window with one striker.

On a related note, I heard the other day that hamstring injuries in the EPL are up around 47% this season. There is a theory that VAR is responsible to some degree. Partly, because players are having to stop for a few minutes multiple times per game and stand around without warming up again, and partly because games are being extended to 100+ minutes putting extra strain on tired muscles and ligaments.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, weeyin said:

We've got Gent, Halliday and Nicholson that can operate on the left side of the team in various full back/wing back combos. O'Donnell can play there at a push too.

So while it would be a blow, it's not as bad as if we ended the window with one striker.

On a related note, I heard the other day that hamstring injuries in the EPL are up around 47% this season. There is a theory that VAR is responsible to some degree. Partly, because players are having to stop for a few minutes multiple times per game and stand around without warming up again, and partly because games are being extended to 100+ minutes putting extra strain on tired muscles and ligaments.

I'm good with blaming var.

• David locked this topic